British road Services

hiya,
BRS Parcels had their own vehicle body manufacturing company in Oldham, if my memory is still working i seem to remember it went under the name of Star Bodies, very busy in it’s heyday certainly turned a lot of stuff out.
thanks harry long retired.

Yes Harry, the Star bodied BMC 3 and 5 tonners were a brilliant design both for the driver having easy access to the cab and for the mechanics the “oily bits” were handy to get at.

Pete.

windrush:
Yes Harry, the Star bodied BMC 3 and 5 tonners were a brilliant design both for the driver having easy access to the cab and for the mechanics the “oily bits” were handy to get at.

Pete.

Hi Harry and Pete.There was another bodybuilder in Oldham,did a lot of fridges,called Buckstone Motor Bodies.wonder if they are still going? Glass Glover hired some trailers off them in the mid eighties.

Maybe some of the BRS boys will remember some of these Cheers Mel in the livery of British Road Services Parcel services, this atkinson is seen leaving battersea Park New to BRS Doncaster. Won award for best BRS vehicle at Gaydon 2006 Seen at Gaydon 2002 - it was an award in that and in the following year. All photos courtesy of Shaun Ballisat more at community.webshots.com/user/shaunyb2

On my time on Brs I was lucky to have two new motors, but the others were old and rattled like hell, and never did I see working motors looking like those Mel, or any of the other ones that have been shown on this thread, which have been restored and lovenly look after, but it brings joy to see them in there prime. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

stravaiger:
And did any of you BRS Gentlmen ever run about in the noddy? :slight_smile:

from the net

Seriously though you would see these things in towns and villages everywhere but the thing is I never thought they were a BMC product. Were they all like that or were there different makes on the same theme?..jim

Hello Jim
The VA ‘Noddy’ van was developed by BRS Parcels on an Austin chassis and normally carried a BMC badge.
John

heavens above, i was born 1960 and i remember playing in one of them in the scrapyard

Jimmy M your two years older than my son, and I tell him, he still has the cradle marks ob his arse. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , he calls me a D O S, I remember them parcel vans well, when we were kids or young men, we would call the red devils Brs, and the parcels the green perils and the British railway motors the B/B this was for the bullnose benders, never saw any of them reverse.

what a wonderful thing this net is. memories. norman, I used to play in the scrapyard on the old railway line in Darvel, scotland. the scrapmans name was jimmy morton, same as me, no relation. whereas other kids used to smash the windows in NEW cars that came in, I never did, i just played in them. then one day i was playing away and the scrappie man turned up in his austin van. so i had to pass him on way out and spoke to him. i was only about 10 at the time. I told him that it wasnt me that smashed the windows and he said I know lad, ive been watching you, you can play in the cars whenever you want. he actually took either me, or one of my 2 sisters home from kilmarnock infirmary when we were born. thames traders, anglias, zephers, ooooooohhhhhhhh to be young again :confused: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

This is something I have never seen before a BRS tipper

New to BRS in North Notts for work on the M6 motorway. Seen Gaydon 2006

Photo courtesy Shaun Ballisat community.webshots.com/user/shaunyb2 Cheers Mel

coca cola kid:
This is something I have never seen before a BRS tipper

Leicester Tipping Group Stoney Stanton

hiya,
Surprising how many BRS tippers there was although a lot of them was seasonal doing stuff like salt and sugar beet although never saw many running about, i do remember seeing a dozen or more parked up in a depot once when filling up none was taxed but can’t remember which depot that was, must have been in the early 60s.

Hello harry, what have you been doing with yourself since you are redundant from your snow duties.

Hello Harry Long Retired! I believe you used to drive for a haulage firm in Darwen. Which one was is mate?
Cheers Spike.

hiya,
Spike 74 worked for Jos Walsh a couple of times, worked for Harwood Meggit a couple of times and drove for Deans of Watery Lane his first artic a brand new Atki Borderer also worked for Killingbecks twice, Bowkers twice, but mainly BRS in Bennington St Blackburn did a bit for Jacks and Kings, guess i liked a change but most of these jobs was when layed off/redundant at the BRS, left the Lancs area in the early 70s.

Hiya Harry, Deans of Watery Lane! I’m running the garage that used to be theirs, I’ll post some pictures for you!

hiya,
Spike 74 is Deans old place still a haulage depot ■■,i think the guys who was there in my time will be all retired now, i think the old gaffer passed away last year Geoff a real gentleman it just was’nt my type of work very repititious and i was more of a roamer but he was one of the fairest guys i’ve ever worked for and he payed the rate for the job, Geoff actually bought the artic because i had a class 1 licence.

Sometimes I wonder Harry, if you have had more jobs than women, or is it more women than jobs, that is differcult to sort out. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hiya,
More jobs than marriages Norm but not more jobs than women, you know what they say about variety being the spice of life, well i happen to know thats a very true saying and i have’nt got one regret, a few scars maybe but they’ll fade away in time in fact if i have a good look they may be gone already.
thanks harry long retired