British Nylon Spinners Pontypool

Here’s one to stretch a few memory banks.

I’ve been asked if I know of a Edward (Ted) Reed who drove for British Nylon Spinners out of Pontypool in the mid 50’s

I realise this will be going back a bit but if anyone knows they will no doubt be found here. :wink:

Evening all,

sorry zarrabeam, not directly related to your quest, but those BNS Bedford TK artics, with their very high “cab spoilers” were regulars at the Sunset in Penkridge back in the early 60s. Really smart lorries, dark blue, and nice blokes driving them.

Happy days, eh!

Cheerio for now.

This is gonna be mission impossible I did 43years on lorries am from pontypool but this goes back to when I was born …remember them trucks though…when I started driving think it was already Mitchell cotts…

There was a plant or depot at Penkridge. In the early 70’s I was involved in a contract running bulk polymer in 30’ containers from Dunfries to Pontypool. We ran the containers up and down the road on skellies or flatbeds but there was one driver with a tipping chassis transhipping them at Sharpness docks and then tipping at Pontypool. the return load was fibre back up to Penkridge and then up to Dunfries. Easy work at the time which probably got me into the habit of not wanting to mess around with loading & tipping.

I realised it would be a long shot but BNS was a job for life type of place.

zzarbean:
There was a plant or depot at Penkridge. In the early 70’s I was involved in a contract running bulk polymer in 30’ containers from Dunfries to Pontypool. We ran the containers up and down the road on skellies or flatbeds but there was one driver with a tipping chassis transhipping them at Sharpness docks and then tipping at Pontypool. the return load was fibre back up to Penkridge and then up to Dunfries. Easy work at the time which probably got me into the habit of not wanting to mess around with loading & tipping.

ICI also ran between its Gloucester plant and Pontypool , using twin steer AEC artics , regards Keith .

Now then, Ted, one for the memory cells- what tractor units did BNS use before the introduction of the TK Bedford? I remember seeing those huge (to me, at least) dark blue trailers coming through Newent when I was a small lad, but I’m blowed if I can recall what was on the front of them.
Some sort of selective memory reminds me that I was waiting for one of Red & White’s Guy Arabs to take me on regular visits to my cousin at the time!

I did have a photo of a BNS Atkinson 6-legger flat,but can’t find it. :blush:

kingswinford kit:

zzarbean:

ICI also ran between its Gloucester plant and Pontypool , using twin steer AEC artics , regards Keith .

The ones I remember running from Penkridge were Mitchell Cotts contract motors.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Now then, Ted, one for the memory cells- what tractor units did BNS use before the introduction of the TK Bedford? I remember seeing those huge (to me, at least) dark blue trailers coming through Newent when I was a small lad, but I’m blowed if I can recall what was on the front of them.
Some sort of selective memory reminds me that I was waiting for one of Red & White’s Guy Arabs to take me on regular visits to my cousin at the time!

I’ve cheated a bit and used my old mucka Mr Google but if you go to page 391 of this thread

Then scroll down a bit you may find the answer :wink:

Akies and Bedfords would seem to prevail.

Aha, the S-type Bedford, then. The remaining memory cell was on a “rest day”!