Brit European trailers, front doors?

Hi all, maybe ive been thinking too much, but when i went past a brit european guy in a belgian rig, his trailer had doors on the front.

Just intreguied (sp?) me as to how people use them, cant go on a bay, and only other thing i can think of is unloading a few pallets at the front, but then the unit has to be out the way (so a fair few drops would be out of the question, or would it? :wink: )

Anyone had experiance of them? Like i say just interested :slight_smile:

Regards

Stuart

mainly used for carpets unloaded from the front by jack-knifing unit and lift off with carpet booms :wink:

Theyre for front loading on there carpet contract i believe

Ah well bloody hell wondering all this time and ive been answered in 10 mins :laughing: Thanks all!

Always good to think about something when the radios crap… Hmmmm what next? :laughing: :smiley:

I wondered this too , i knew they were used for carpet work but i still dont understand the need for front doors, can someone tell me what can be loaded/ unloaded through the front that cant be loaded/ unloaded through the back, suppose there must be a reason, just i cant think of it :question:

Haven’t any of you loaded two 20foot containers?
Tip the back one,then jack-knife the front one on to the bay!
Kids nowadays don’t know they’re born.I would post a photo,but I’m too old & too ugly to know how.

Drifting slightly away from the Brit Euro trailers, many demountable boxes have doors at each end so you can “load through” DHL had this idea with the airfreight boxes with a fitted ramp dropped between the drag and front box.

At United Carriers we had some short demount boxes which fitted on 7.5 tonners but were carried 2 or 3 at a time on a trunking trailer. You could load all 3 boxes from one bay.

You will have seen the trucks that Pirelli operate like this

DaveL:
Kids nowadays don’t know they’re born.I would post a photo,but I’m too old & too ugly to know how.

Exactly,if you unload the rear stack of carpets at 20 ft long,the boom cannot reach far enough in the reach the front stack therefore it makes sense to jack knife the rig then unload through the front doors.

I drove a wagon and drag for Business Post a few years back where the trailer had front and back doors. You opened the back of the lorry, then the back of the trailer, then the front of the trailer and dropped a “drawbridge” between trailer and lorry. It worked quite well except that you had to get the two lined up before the drawbridge would drop flat.

DaveL:

seen this years ago down in marseille,did’nt get to see it being done just the end result so could you give us a bit of a rundown on how to do it?remember trying to picture how i would approach the bay etc and how many goes it would take to get square on the bay.also does anyone have a photo of it?

glenman:

DaveL:

seen this years ago down in marseille,did’nt get to see it being done just the end result so could you give us a bit of a rundown on how to do it?remember trying to picture how i would approach the bay etc and how many goes it would take to get square on the bay.also does anyone have a photo of it?

Not always that difficult actually. A lot of French loading docks use bridging plates and the trailers are not tight up to the bay.
If it is a conventional bay things are more difficult but you just jack knife it round and drop your air lines off.
Then Pierre can use his chariot elevateur to unload it from the front.

Bridging Plates.

trailers r 3 carpets long in the middle is a slideing section on bearings so in theory u can tip the back and middle section out the back doors u can also tip front section onto a bay if theres nothing parked either side its a bit of a mess around getting it right but it can be done with practice the sliding section also slides to the front hope this makes some sense

ganges boy:
trailers r 3 carpets long in the middle is a slideing section on bearings so in theory u can tip the back and middle section out the back doors u can also tip front section onto a bay if theres nothing parked either side its a bit of a mess around getting it right but it can be done with practice the sliding section also slides to the front hope this makes some sense

You havent had to carry a broadloom into a shop then?

glenman asked “How is it done?”
Drive towards the bay at roughly 50 kmph.Just before you hit hang a sharp right.Follow the front of the warehouse for about 7 metres.Sling it into reverse hard left hand down.Reverse 'til tailer is square with the bay.Easy-peasy.
With a right ■■■■■■ probably easier to hang a left,wouldn’t know. :sunglasses: