Bristol - Spalding

Going to Spalding from Bristol, night run at max weight (44t) 13,9 high. What would you say is the best, quickest way. Maybe need to avoid Catthorpe if the roadworks have started there yet and not an area of the country I know best. Looks tight to get there on a 4.5 hour drive (legally).

Two ways;Bristol to London on the M4 to M25 to A1 North.
Second way up the M5 North to Birmingham to M42 to A14 Eastbound.

I do M4 Jn 15 Swindon and cut across towards Peterborough then on to Spalding. Avoid Stamford it has HGV restrictions with massive detour.

Sat Nav will probably want to go M25 -M1 - A1M but I’ve found that about the slowest.

If you’re going to Spalding, you don’t want to start from Brittol. I often do a Gloucester - Wisbech night run which is about 3.5 hours each way using M5 M42 (I can go via Evesham but that’s 5 - 10 minutes longer at night) M6 A14 then A605 to Peterborough (Watch the birdie) we also run from Northampton to Bridgewater. On that there’s not much time difference between Using the A420 to Swindon then the M4 or the A40/ M5.

So I would suggest, depending on road closures of course, From Bristol.

M4 to Junction 15, A420 to Oxford, A43/M40/A43 Northampton (I think the Swindon bridge is OK)

Then A45 - A605 to Peterborough A15 to Spalding.

Time wise it will be tight but don’t be tempted to go anywhere near Stamford. Also be aware that road safety cameras are active.

All our trailers go under the Swindon bridge so at least 4.5m.

Ted, I have to start from Bristol. ZB you should well be aware of.

I do this run regular, quickest way at night will be…
M5
A46
M69
M1
A46
A52
A152

Most fuel efficient, but 25 miles ish more and 10 mins longer would be

M5
M6
M42
M69
M1
A46
A17
A16

Need any info on delivery address just ask I live there.

Also I did Bicker which is 20 mins from Spalding to Weston Super Mare in 3hrs 55min I may have been going a little over the speed limit :laughing:

Wayne:
Ted, I have to start from Bristol. ZB you should well be aware of.

We all have our crosses to bear. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rather a fragile time up in these parts just now, don’t mention the rugby :cry:

M5 m6 m42 a14 a605 straight over the a1 around Peterborough parkway and then pick up the new a16 crowland,cowbit,Spalding. You’ll do it easy in 4 hours where you tipping in Spalding

zzarbean:
M6 A14 then A605 to Peterborough (Watch the birdie)

You telling me there is a naked bird and I have not spotted it yet?

What is the birdie?

mickyblue:

zzarbean:

What is the birdie?

Does he mean that new replacement camera just before the Elton turn off between Oundle and P’boro, bloody nuisance that one if you’re heavily loaded and trying to get a run up for the first hill.

NewLad:
Most fuel efficient, but 25 miles ish more and 10 mins longer would be

My god you must have a fast motor. :open_mouth:

Personally I’d avoid the A605 twisty roads, off camber round about near Thrapston, also the canal is flooded and if we get much more rain (which we’re forecast to get) there is a chance they will shut the road, and it’s a LONG way round!

Juddian:

mickyblue:

zzarbean:

What is the birdie?

Does he mean that new replacement camera just before the Elton turn off between Oundle and P’boro, bloody nuisance that one if you’re heavily loaded and trying to get a run up for the first hill.

There’s three places of permanent interest that I know off along that stretch of road, plus of course any nomads (unlikely during the hours of darkness) Then, if you’re going to or from Wisbech, it pays to slow down and look in the garage windows along Thornley toll

zzarbean:

Juddian:

mickyblue:

zzarbean:

What is the birdie?

There’s three places of permanent interest that I know off along that stretch of road, plus of course any nomads (unlikely during the hours of darkness) Then, if you’re going to or from Wisbech, it pays to slow down and look in the garage windows along Thornley toll

Agreed, i mentioned the Elton one cos it got a new style replacement not so long ago, maybe 12/18 months?, and its not that easy to see hidden partly behind shrubbery IIRC…incidentally is this new shape one a Gatso in a new frock or can it operate both ways does anyone know?

zzarbean:

Juddian:

mickyblue:

zzarbean:

What is the birdie?

Mobile speed camera van always sits on that big hill by thrapston