Bring on the Class 1! (Training Diary) PASS!

Well chaps and chapesses it’s the time already! Surprising actually how quickly ten weeks goes down when you stop paying attention to the date. Next week I start my class 1 training and I’m pretty excited to be taking a shot at it! Also slightly terrified but hey, that goes with the territory. THIS time I shall try not to emergency brake the examiner halfway out the window! :open_mouth:

Just looking for some general advice from all of you. Generally on both assessment drives there wasn’t a lot of routine lost from back when I did my rigid training. (If you don’t count trying to learn a new gearbox on the fly in the space of 15 miles). My biggest problem areas have always been appropriate speed (Hesitating at the wrong points, going to quickly on approach to junctions, hazards), roundabouts (goes with appropriate speed maybe), and a lack of clear forward planning. So generally, I need practise at planning and most of my problems come from that.
I haven’t had a shot at the full reverse yet, just parking artics a few times, but from reading a few topics on here already I’m confident I can pick it up after a squashed cone or two.
The only other problem I’m not completely sure how to resolve is working out the size of the bloody thing! (Insert pun here.) The comment I had from my last assessment was that I’m overcompensating for the size of the vehicle and taking up far more of the road than I need to in order to make a safe turn, is this something you generally pick up in training after a few goes? I spent most of my drive paranoid that I was going to start dragging street furniture with me under the back wheels if I didn’t take every inch available even on a left hand turn. Still being in the rigid mindset I also forgot about the headboard and how it follows the unit, and got to hear it slap off a few small branches. :blush:

I’d certainly appreciate any advice you guys can give to the fresh meat. :smiley:

I’ll also try to keep a diary of what goes on and put it on this thread.

Firstly, I’d encourage you to put your energy into sorting out your planning issues - because you already know that is the cause of so many other things. And these are the things that will cost you a test if not sorted.

You have decided to train on an artic and, without question, this is more difficult than the w+d alternative. But, so far as the steering goes, you are correct in thinking that it comes with practice. Hopefully, if you have a competent trainer, you will be taught how to deal with turns correctly. So far as test goes, giving too much room becomes a “mark” when it’s possible to get a small car down your inside. It’s becoming dangerous then. Basic rule of steering an artic is to make the unit go the long way round. But overdo it and you’ll end up too wide.

Hope this helps and the best of luck with your training/test. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Firstly, I’d encourage you to put your energy into sorting out your planning issues - because you already know that is the cause of so many other things. And these are the things that will cost you a test if not sorted.

You have decided to train on an artic and, without question, this is more difficult than the w+d alternative. But, so far as the steering goes, you are correct in thinking that it comes with practice. Hopefully, if you have a competent trainer, you will be taught how to deal with turns correctly. So far as test goes, giving too much room becomes a “mark” when it’s possible to get a small car down your inside. It’s becoming dangerous then. Basic rule of steering an artic is to make the unit go the long way round. But overdo it and you’ll end up too wide.

Hope this helps and the best of luck with your training/test. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the help there Pete.

Looking at the weather out the window I’m sittin’ here hoping that they’ve got a few cold blowers in whichever cab we end up using, it’s gonna be a warm few days! (As if I didn’t need even more reason to sweat!)
I figured doing an artic would pay off in the long run. Even doing w+d I’d end up facing the challenge of an artic sooner rather than later given that most class 1 jobs in my area are artic, might as well learn it now while there’s someone on hand to give advice.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow, yet equally apprehensive about the whole thing, let’s hope I can burn off the nerves now and be cool as a cucumber for the test, eh?

So, first day.

Not a bad day all around, I’m just sitting here trying to remember most of it through the haze of sweating, rusty driving skills, caffeine withdrawal and sweating.
Met my instructor at the center this morning, along with the guy I’m going to be training with. I’d thought that since my training was starting in the middle of the week I might have an awkward few days driving at day 1 level while the other fella is on day 3 and 4, but the training company put us both on the same start and end dates so we’ll be learning together at the same time, only difference is that this lad passed his class 2 a few weeks back instead of 7 months ago.
The unit itself was a mercedes axor with a tri-axle trailer, definitely kept in good condition, the lack of scuffs and scrapes on the outside probably an indication of either their quality of training or some real OCD workshop boys. :unamused:

Went to an empty patch of tarmac first thing, our instructor telling us about various functions and then demonstrating them as he went around to park up, including a few tips on the best way to position your seat so your legs don’t fall asleep after three hours. (another of those little things I didn’t know beforehand.) So once he was done with that the other lad had a go around the tarmac first to get a feel for the gears, it’s actually a little simpler than it was for the rigid as the unit has a 4-4 gearbox and only eight full gears, not six gears and a hi/low split to mess about with. When it was my turn I almost stalled on the first move off, forgetting that the trailer brakes take that extra second or so to fully come off I lifted my foot from the clutch and did a bit of a kangaroo start. :blush:
The pacing of the gear changes is definitely taking a lot of getting used to, planning ahead and trying to figure when I’ll need each one is something that’s taking a lot of concentration and as such when I’m trying to make a turn or a roundabout or a meeting situation I end up diverting too much attention to struggling with the gears because I don’t yet have a feel for where on the speed/rev counter I’ll need them. It doesn’t help that my car driving habits come into it and instead of just slowing and changing gears I end up booting the brakes every time I change, trying to avoid engine braking that most times I’m already going slowly enough to avoid!

Once we were out on the road for a few hours I felt that I’d a better handle on things, and a lot of the road sense I’d picked up last time came back, it’s just taking a while to work that out in a new vehicle that’s twice as long and half again as heavy. There was exhaustive practice at a loop made of a straight road and two tiny roundabouts that really helped me to judge the size of the vehicle and the turning point, though I did forget about it at one point later in the day and scuffed the edge of a much larger roundabout, somehow. :blush:
A few of the things the instructor picked up on is that I’m spending too much time in my mirrors and not enough on the road ahead of and around me, paying too much attention to the traffic behind instead of the situation I’m encountering and hesitating because of it. I didn’t know this was even possible with how much mirrors is hammered into you, but apparently I’m doing it! :laughing: Other things that he noted were that my approach speed needs work, but with proper use of the gears I was getting that down and it was better near the end of the day, and that I need to make sure I follow the lines on/of the road when approaching junctions and roundabouts so to avoid chancers on bikes on one side or taking up more space than I need on the other. The biggest potential fail he’s found there is that out of habit if I’m turning right on the roundabout and approaching my exit I will check the mirror, and then while signalling start to move into the left lane, instead of mirror, signal, mirror, move, something I actually found pretty hard to force myself out of, but I understand why it’s a problem and I’ll work on it!

All in all I’m told that today was a good day by first-day standards. I needed a lot of prompting at first, but less as time went on and hopefully by the end of tomorrow or Friday I’ll have the worst of it nailed down to the floor. There was at least never a situation where he felt the need to give forceful instructions along the lines of ‘STOOOOOOOOOOP’ or ‘SLOW. DOWN. SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW.’ xD

Of course tomorrow we’re starting on all the things that involve going in the other direction. Reversing and drop and catch, that’s going to be an interesting challenge alright!

Also, just as a moment of WTF from my day. Many of us think cyclists lack sense at times, but today for the first time I saw a runner, running up the oncoming lane of an unrestricted section of an A-road, no doubt having crossed several busy roundabouts on his journey… when there was a perfectly serviceable cycle path on the other side of the road that ran the exact same path. Do some people just want to end up a red stain on your front grille?

Much has be mentioned on this site of the up and down sides of 2 to 1 training so how are you finding it with another trainee ?

ROG:
Much has be mentioned on this site of the up and down sides of 2 to 1 training so how are you finding it with another trainee ?

I’d say that I agree about there being downsides to it. In this case the other lad and I have our tests on the same day one after the other, so one of us is going to have less time on the road that day. There are good sides though, we’re at the same level and advancing together and in this heat it’s good to swap around and take a breather and watch. I had trouble with the size of the unit at first, but watching the other fella do exactly the same thing and sticking my head out the window I could see that it was all good.

Right, on to day two!

Megawhat?:
In this case the other lad and I have our tests on the same day one after the other, so one of us is going to have less time on the road that day.

That should not happen because when I had that situation, which was the usual thing where I was instructing, the time before the first test was split into two exact periods where the driver doing test 2 drove for the first half and then the driver of test 1 drove for the second half so they ended up at the test centre with the seat etc set for their test

Often there is a 10 or 15 min gap between tests so second test driver got that time for a short drive

Something I picked up on from your original post was your ‘overuse’ of mirrors. You would have to never look forwards to be overusing them.

If you try to compensate for your alleged ‘overuse’ then you may start to get marked down on not using them in appropriate places.

So to try and balance it…

For every time you brake, use your mirrors.

For every time you change direction, use your mirrors.

When running around a roundabout remember to check both mirrors going all the way round and when entering and exiting as other road users will try to over / under take you and cause a mess.

I’m sure there is probably things I have forgotten but these are the main ones.

At any other times you should be forward planning (which you can’t do with your head constantly in the mirrors). So you should be looking ahead with occasional looks left and right into those mirrors.

Keep it balanced and up the observations when something is changing. I hope that’s as clear to you as it was in my head while typing it.

As the instructor has said, you have done well for a first day. Learn from each other on your 2:1 experience. It’s not the ideal for a CE course but hopefully you’ll gain something from it

Well done. And keep up the good work.

Thanks for an informative diary.

Well… I didn’t exactly keep my promise up to keep you guys updated! Sorry about that.

So, in short, the examiner is an a twisted, twisted fella.
“Well switch the engine off now then… how do you think you did?” And he looks at me, dead serious and somber. He’d been conversational the whole drive so I was fairly relaxed until that point.
“Err, I fd the brakes and b***d up a turn and braked hard that one time… that bus was kind of close as I went round the motorway junction roundabout so, not great…”
And he sorta shook his head and waved his hand about and went.
“Yeah well you’re right there and unfortunately you’ll not be coming back to see me anyway since you’ve passed.”
Sat there as it sank in thinking ‘You jammy effin’ bleedin’ bloody-“Thanks very much!” At least only the last part came out loud! Shook his hand, handed over the license and that’s me, Cat C+E passed, wayhey!

So the test itself wasn’t too bad, not too far from the test center I approached a junction and tried going from 5th to 4th, was a bit nervy and missed the gate, instead dropping right into sixth and trying to take the junction in that at 10mph! Cursed away under my breath, let it roll around the junction until I could take a hand off my steering and get it back into 5th to try pulling away. Later the examiner told me that while it got me a fault for steering and gears, due to crossing my hands, he never saw me make a bad change again, so it was a non-issue. I actually spent the entire drive after that point going ‘Well, sod it, I’ve failed, might as well have a nice little run.’ There was a bit of quick braking not long after that but it was due to a red light and though I was quick on the brakes, it kept a junction clear and was a reasonably safe stop. After that there’s little else that he bothered to mention, plenty of town driving then some motorway then back into the town and parked up where we started!
All told there were 6 minors, 4 on the road and 2 in the testing area. On the road it was 1 in gears, 2 in steering and 1 in observation, the last likely related to stopping so quickly. There was a point coming off the motorway and turning left at the first exit where I thought I might have earned a serious for pulling out as a bus was coming round from the right, but as I was still moving when I went over the line and put the foot down soon as I clocked him I was doing the same speed as he was by the time he was half a length behind my doors, which was good enough for the examiner.

The reverse wasn’t so bad, was a little too far on the right by the time the back end was heading into the garage so I took a shunt, it’s better a minor than a fail after all. It was the drop and catch that nearly got me! Everything went perfect, totally safe split-uncouple, then coming back to couple up I reversed back, got out, did my checks, got back in and reversed. I was way too far over to the right and the pin just barely scraped into the correct position, spinning the wheels on the unit and shifting the trailer sideways as it locked in. I thought I’d seriously screwed up there but the message I got from the examiner was ‘Well, it’s a backpat and a bollocking. It was a safe couple, just, but if you do that again you’ll rip the kingpin off. Next time reposition your unit if it’s that far over. Watch out for it.’ So that was the second minor!

All in all, I’m pretty ■■■■ chuffed with that! :smiley:

Well Done. Congratuiations on the pass. Onwards and upwards :slight_smile:

Congratulations, it’s a brilliant feeling isn’t it! Good luck with the job hunting, hope you get sorted soon.

Congratulations mate! That’s great news and a great diary too. Nice one! :sunglasses:

Good luck with the job hunting.

Thanks guys!

Now just got to wait for the license to come back and get on with the job hunt!

Congratulations and well done. Good luck with the job hunt I am sure you will be posting on here soon and showing us your new shiny tractor unit :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: