Bridge strike

So is it any one on here hit the bridge from seattle to canada says on our news clouted by a truck hope nobody got injured…

I heard that it had collapsed into a river, so unless the truck was on a boat under the bridge it seems unlikely…but it is the USA, so nothing would surprise me!

seems it was an oversize truck that hit the steelwork…

Yeah I just googled it and that’s what they’re saying. Someone will be on the naughty step lol

I hope it was the Canadian side so the poor guy gets fair treatment, if it’s the USA side the man will probably be charged with an act of terrorism :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
I hope it was the Canadian side so the poor guy gets fair treatment, if it’s the USA side the man will probably be charged with an act of terrorism :laughing:

Unfortunately the bridge is well within the US, not on the actual border. While I know absolutely nothing about the bridge or the truck that hit it, it does seem quite extreme that the whole span should collapse in to the water. But then, I know nothing about bridges.

It happened on the I 5 about 50 mile south of the Blaine border crossing and is the main route between Seattle & Vancouver.
Truck & driver came from Spruce Grove, west of Edmonton.
Mullen Transport.
He had an oversized load of oil drill equipment and hit several overhead bridge trusses.
The driver saw the bridge collapse behind him but got across safely himself.
This bridge was built in 1955, safety tested last year and was deemed “functionally obsolete.” and had a safety rating of 57.4%.

Is it just me, or is any one else on here originally from the UK/Europe truly shocked by the state of the infrastructure in the US and certain parts of Canada (Quebec for example)? Every time I drive down the damned Cross Bronx Expressway in NYC I feel like I’m in east Germany shortly after the wall came down on a stretch of autobahn little altered and maintained since 1945 as I almost get launched out of the seat on any one of the thousands of pot holes that befit a proper third world banana republic.

Yep, the roads & bridges are in a terrible state in some places in US & Canada. I remember before Obama got in one of his great speeches was he was going to get 800,000 back into employment re-building roads & bridges till he realized there’s no money in the pot, so nothing got done. 2 stretches of road I remember as being exceptionally bad were as you climb that first hill west of Primm on the I 15 coming into California & heading east on Hwy 11 about 25 mile from Hearst right through to North Bay.
Some of those holes were evil, 6 or 7 inches deep. I used to think it was bad in the UK till I drove out here.

they been doing work up at primm there neil but the bulk of CA roads are shocking anyway

the 41-year-old driver told investigators that his first warning of a problem came at the moment of contact.Â
He described hearing a boom and feeling contact in the vehicle.
Investigators said this weekend that the driver had a proper permit for a load measuring 15 feet, 9 inches. He said he had rechecked the height of his load several times along his route.
But the bridge, at its lowest point, is only 14 feet, 6 inches high – which isn’t posted anywhere, the NTSB said. That’s because Washington state law doesn’t require the clearance height to be posted unless it’s less than 14 feet, 5 inches.

here in the UK bridges have to be marked up with height restrictions if has a clearance of less than 16.6 feet.

you be lucky to find posted heights just about anywhere. In Chicago come up on many bridges with a small sign saying 13’6" just infront of it.

His route would have had to been cleared bt someone as it was an oversize load and he wouldve been told he ok to use that bridge but the lack of signs dont help