Bridge strike???

Hi all.

Before I ask, it 110% wasnt me. To confirm it was NOT me.

Firm I work for had an agency driver in. He got a 7.5 stuck under railway bridge. Line and road closed etc.

The rumours in the yard are, bill of over £1 million etc etc going to boss.

My question is, I assume the firm is liable? Now I’m not sure what I think of that.

Agency drivers arent interviewed or asked to do assesments, provide experience etc… so is it fair that the agency’s earn from these drivers but take no risk? ?

Whats ya thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Me.

This what insurance is for

Traffic Rat:
This what insurance is for

I would think that the insurance company are perfectly within their rights to refuse to pay out. The “driver” has obviously taken no steps whatsoever to avoid hitting the bridge, has he? :unamused: , so it can’t be classed as an accident. Or is it too much to ask that a so-called “professional road-user” should measure the height of his lorry/load■■?

I genuinely despair at the sheer stupidity that lorry drivers exhibit…

Me thinks he doth protest too much. :wink:

bazdub:
Agency drivers arent interviewed or asked to do assesments, provide experience etc… so is it fair that the agency’s earn from these drivers but take no risk? ?

Maybe your company has a contract in place where as the agency is responsible for driver failures and accidents. I would imagine most companies would insist on at least something before using agencies. As you say,they don’t know this guy and have no clue what his driving standard is like.
Although more and more places are insisting on agency drivers doing inductions now that includes a driving assessment.

The lorry was leased and had height clearly marked inside, as all our vehicles have. It hurts my brain at times.

As for insurance, I understand what your saying but surely it will put his premium through the roof hence my question.

Dunno where they ger £million from - here is a cost for a bad one in Howden recently:

Howden - two articulated lorries collided on overline bridge
— demolished parapets with debris on line
— road vehicles in precarious position
— haul route constructed to recover vehicles
-5 day closure
-Network Rail costs
—repairs - £166.7k
—delays - £127.0k

So a major problem with the parapets demolished and a 5 day closure cos £270,000. I doubt that a 7½ tonner caused anything like that level of damage and disruption.

networkrail.co.uk/safety/net … -costs.pdf

OHHH he was stuck under it , i thought he was delivering it and ran out of fuel :unamused:

threewheelsonmywagon:
I genuinely despair at the sheer stupidity that lorry drivers exhibit…

+1

bazdub:
The rumours in the yard are, bill of over £1 million etc etc going to boss.

That’s rumours for you; they’re often completely made up or, at best, exaggerated versions of the truth. In this case it’s probably the latter. There’s a rumour going round that a fat bearded bloke is going to descend my chimney in a months time and leave gifts; I don’t believe it for a second.

There’s no doubt that hitting a railway bridge is one of the more expensive forms of muppetry, but £1million? I don’t think so.

Santa:
Dunno where they ger £million from - here is a cost for a bad one in Howden recently:

-5 day closure
-Network Rail costs
—repairs - £166.7k
—delays - £127.0k

So a major problem with the parapets demolished and a 5 day closure cos £270,000. I doubt that a 7½ tonner caused anything like that level of damage and disruption.

depends on what stretch of line was disrupted and and the level of penalty set for network rail the busier the line especialy with long haul express services the higher the penalty payments incurred . can remember when the Selby crash was closed out on the delay screens it was standing at 11million minuets delays all payable buy network rail to the TOCs at £110 amin all of which would have been passed onto the guy who crashed the cars insurance company

Contraflow:
There’s a rumour going round that a fat bearded bloke is going to descend my chimney in a months time and leave gifts; I don’t believe it for a second.

That’s one off the list then:) Although we stopped using chimneys years ago.

Santa:

Contraflow:
There’s a rumour going round that a fat bearded bloke is going to descend my chimney in a months time and leave gifts; I don’t believe it for a second.

That’s one off the list then:) Although we stopped using chimneys years ago.

We? You mean there’s more than one of you? :open_mouth:

Santa:

-5 day closure
-Network Rail costs
—repairs - £166.7k
—delays - £127.0k

The next example given though shows this:-

Bathley Lane level crossing - East Coast main line
-traffic signs showing ‘Safe height 13’ 9’’ (4.1m) load gauge’
-car transporter aerial came into contact with 25kV overhead line
-damage to power supply to trains
-6 hours disruption
-Network Rail costs

repairs - £2.4k
delays - £1,017.1k

So well over a million for 6 hours!

Santa:

-5 day closure
-Network Rail costs
—repairs - £166.7k
—delays - £127.0k

+1