Bridge strike in Teesport

I passed this yesterday , dont know how he managed it as bridge was’nt marked as low bridge . Unless car was sitting wrong
gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees … s-15948345

IMG_20190310_123117.jpg

Drag top deck not down maybe??

Ooof! If a job’s worth doing etc! I assume it’s the bridge at the entry/exit road into Teesport between the main roundabout and the Security Checkpoint
Even though it’s not signed as a low bridge, it looks as though it should be, maybe the brutal industrial architecture makes it look that way especially when I’m taking Tesco double deck trunks under it, going to and from the RDC
As previously suggested it looks like the deck on that car transporter hasn’t been set at the correct travelling height and the back end of what looks like a VW Golf has taken the full impact, must have been a hell of a bang! On impact

bigdave789:
Ooof! If a job’s worth doing etc! I assume it’s the bridge at the entry/exit road into Teesport between the main roundabout and the Security Checkpoint
Even though it’s not signed as a low bridge, it looks as though it should be, maybe the brutal industrial architecture makes it look that way especially when I’m taking Tesco double deck trunks under it, going to and from the RDC
As previously suggested it looks like the deck on that car transporter hasn’t been set at the correct travelling height and the back end of what looks like a VW Golf has taken the full impact, must have been a hell of a bang! On impact

oooof! thats exactly what i said when i seen it.

this is on a66 the bridge he or she hit takes you in to the riverside stadium , i passed under the bridge your talking about going into the port it had me worried after seeing this and my trailer was just under 16ft .

Yup, top deck’s still at full height, probably around 17.5/18.5ft high the top of whatever was in position 1.
As a rough guide for max running height the top of the posts of the sideguard rails want to somewhere about the same height as the top of the pillars.

The first newspaper picture shows the top deck at least partially lowered doesn`t it?
The other picture with the top deck fully up MAY have been later when the lower deck was being off loaded?

Franglais:
The first newspaper picture shows the top deck at least partially lowered doesn`t it?
The other picture with the top deck fully up MAY have been later when the lower deck was being off loaded?

I would say the deck was lowered for the recovery operation, but happy to be wrong here, with the deck at the lower height seen with the crane in shot the cars would have been below pillar height so under 13’ 3".

Thinking about this more, at full deck height he might have and most likely has pushed the deck with the damaged car (position 1) out to full length in which case it could have been around 20ft high.
Just shows how strong those decks and pillars are though that the transporter itself is still basically operational.

Juddian:

Franglais:

I would say the deck was lowered for the recovery operation, but happy to be wrong here, with the deck at the lower height seen with the crane in shot the cars would have been below pillar height so under 13’ 3".

Thinking about this more, at full deck height he might have and most likely has pushed the deck with the damaged car (position 1) out to full length in which case it could have been around 20ft high.
Just shows how strong those decks and pillars are though that the transporter itself is still basically operational.

Yep, surprisingly strong kit.
To have been running with the top deck fully raised would have been VERY surprising* wouldn`t it?
Not just a case of a few inches out.

*EDIT, tempted to say “impossible”, but…

Franglais:

Juddian:

Franglais:

To have been running with the top deck fully raised would have been VERY surprising wouldn`t it?

Multi drop on busy roads, hassled by office/customer/public/traffic warden/nagging partner/other personal issues, time ticking by for a deadline?, who knows why he forgot to bring the decks down but he did.
Its one of those jobs where you have to ignore everything else that’s going on around and concentrate purely on the job in hand, take your mind off it for a second and that’s the result.
Don’t forget the driver has complete control of all the decks on these, the combination of deck movements and angles to suit the load is almost infinite, takes most people a year or more before they are even remotely comfortable and at ease with the job, some pick it up in months, many more take several years, some never get it.

Juddian:

Franglais:

Juddian:

Franglais:

To have been running with the top deck fully raised would have been VERY surprising wouldn`t it?

Multi drop on busy roads, hassled by office/customer/public/traffic warden/nagging partner/other personal issues, time ticking by for a deadline?, who knows why he forgot to bring the decks down but he did.
Its one of those jobs where you have to ignore everything else that’s going on around and concentrate purely on the job in hand, take your mind off it for a second and that’s the result.
Don’t forget the driver has complete control of all the decks on these, the combination of deck movements and angles to suit the load is almost infinite, takes most people a year or more before they are even remotely comfortable and at ease with the job, some pick it up in months, many more take several years, some never get it.

yeah take my hat off to these guys must be a stressful job to begin with.

Victa, yes it is stressful but it tends to attract and retain those who are of a calmer nature if you follow.
I did it for many years but bloody glad to be out of it now.

About 3 weeks ago i was a retail park, had take my daughter there to pick her car up from one of the several car dealerships along the service road.
The road we were in was a dead end, cars parked both sides, the cul de sac ended in a T junction, again cars parked on all sides.
Chap reversing a full size transporter down this cul de sac, not a hope in hell of turning round or going anywhere else, so i walked over to watch him out onto the busy service road, no where else he nor anyone was going till he’d backed out.
Obviously it was beyond the pointy shoes in the showroom to watch him out.

Then mr awkward tight ■■■■■■■ arrives in his transit bus, he’s turning left into said road so stops right in the way on the corner allowing enough room for a car to get through, and just sits there.
Transporter reversing towards him with hazards flashing who i’m now waving back.
I ask him if he could back up a bit to give the lad room, he starts gobbing off about where’s the blokes reversing lights :unamused: er if you look there arn’t any on that motor, next well there’s someone behind me ignoring the fact the bloke in the car behind actually had a brain and could see the situation and was already backing up.
Finally the penny drops with this twerp that until the lorry got out no one was going anywhere, so he reversed a little bit, making it look like he was driving the biggest vehicle on the planet, so when our transporter driver started to turn he finally after much hooter blowing managed to reverse to a sensible place, and our lorry mate could get out…who was grinning like a Cheshire cat at this point :laughing: and bellowed a huge thanks that half the estate must have heard.

Anyway, that was just a small snapshot of the realities of the job with the half wits that you have to deal with when delivering to typical car dealerships, so often you get people park behind you, as you are reversing a car off the bloody thing :unamused: , why any bugger does the job is beyond me now, must want our/their heads examined.

If he.s come out of Teesport though hes already gone under 3 bridges before getting to the one he hit

chaversdad:
If he.s come out of Teesport though hes already gone under 3 bridges before getting to the one he hit

My guess would be that he’s done a delivery somewhere around Cargo Fleet and not returned the deck height to its normal running position.

Don’t suppose it could be a fault in the hydraulics whereby it’s raised slowly since they left the site (or even a slightly sticky leaver that wasn’t 100% reset)? Would have thought they’d have an auto lockout mechanism when moving, but maybe not.

As for it being down in later pics, it looks like the car on the bottom deck was removed in those pics, so likely was just moved for recovery.