Bridge strike in Plymouth

He’s made a good mess of this one!

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58387682

With some local knowledge I believe that the vehicle has probably just departed the Alexandra Road store. Their regular drivers would never use this route so this will be a newbie or an agency pleb. This is a brand new 21-reg lorry on the Tesco Express contract and it will be out of Fowler Welch’s depot at Heathfield Devon.

It’s a good…

Effort. Those cracks, lifted stones and the front bumper driven into the ground show a quality attempt.

round of applause smilie

He managed to get far enough through that he came out of the other side of the bridge. I don’t think I’ve seen that happen too often with bridge strikes.

I wouldn’t like to imagine the costs to repair that bridge.
That’s going be costly damage and god knows how many rail diversions.

That’s on the only line into Plymouth! Think the nearest station to get off before the bridge is Ivybridge, going to be some slightly miffed commuters for the coming months judging by the damage!

Iffy looking picture.
How come the fridge unit is intact when it appears to be above the level of the bridge at the same time as the bumper is on the ground?
I realise the exit ground is rising but it still seems strange.
Good advert for Thermo King - “Our fridges are stronger than bridges”.

I know it’s not an excuse, but it’s an optical illusion because the road goes uphill under the bridge.
So from one side it looks a lot higher clearance than when you come out of the other side

I wonder if he will still get his signing on bonus or will there be something in the small print about accidents etc :laughing:

bugger.lugs:
He managed to get far enough through that he came out of the other side of the bridge. I don’t think I’ve seen that happen too often with bridge strikes.

Due to the road going uphill the roof will have only caught just before the exit

Good news for the local bus and coach companies - replacement bus services a-go-go :laughing:

As you’ve got local knowledge, are the height markings visible on the other side of the bridge? If so WTF was the driver thinking? 10’3" ? The last luton-bodied 3.5 tonner I drove wouldn’t have gotten under there :laughing:

Darktower:
That’s on the only line into Plymouth! Think the nearest station to get off before the bridge is Ivybridge, going to be some slightly miffed commuters for the coming months judging by the damage!

For comparison, around 2001 the East-coast mainline was shut for just seven hours, near Grantham IIRC, due to a car transporter connecting with the overhead wires. That cost the company over £1 million, plus interest, so adjusting for inflation from 20 years ago, plus a longer period of time for the bridge repairs (gotta take longer than fixing those cables) and someone is going to need very deep pockets

EDIT not that it matters but it was Newark in 2003 and it cost the haulage company £1,017,144 plus interest. I can’t help wondering if this incident bankrupted them.

Yes, the markings are the same on both sides.
Street view:

goo.gl/maps/7Gub2tabzJXw9JVs6

Great advert in support of increasing HGV driver wages to reflect their professional skills! Or is it a matter for some that if you pay peanuts …

shullbit:
I wonder if he will still get his signing on bonus or will there be something in the small print about accidents etc :laughing:

If fulltime, theres usually a clause about being with the company for the next x months, possibly partly for this reason. Somehow doubt they’ll be back, although you never know. Ours have done similar jist to get bums on seats. :slight_smile:

As for paying more - yes, but if you employing monkeys before hand due to low wages, you are now just paying monkeys more money.

Paying People more doesn’t make them a better driver.
Look at footballers some are paid a fortune. But some who are paid less are better players

If there is a defence to be mounted, the vehicle looks comfortably to fit the entrance. I wonder if the rising road has a pivoting effect, which the roads authority haven’t taken in to account with a longer vehicle?
Maybe there should be a length restriction too.

LazyDriver:
If there is a defence to be mounted, the vehicle looks comfortably to fit the entrance. I wonder if the rising road has a pivoting effect, which the roads authority haven’t taken in to account with a longer vehicle?
Maybe there should be a length restriction too.

Diver has absolutely no defence. The lorry will have the height inside the cabin. Our class 2 lorries are 11’ to 12’ depending on year. That bridge is signed at 10’ 11”.

ScaniaUltimate:
Iffy looking picture.
How come the fridge unit is intact when it appears to be above the level of the bridge at the same time as the bumper is on the ground?
I realise the exit ground is rising but it still seems strange.
Good advert for Thermo King - “Our fridges are stronger than bridges”.

Because the fridge unit is not the full width of the body :bulb:

Acorn:
Great advert in support of increasing HGV driver wages to reflect their professional skills! Or is it a matter for some that if you pay peanuts …

Amen, peanuts I would say. A professional would not do this.