Bridge strike - 6 month HGV ban

I’ve witnessed over height lorries reversing away from bridges. Perhaps my mistake was not to consider filming it for a wider audience?

Ironically I discovered at the last round of company **training that your allowed to set your in cab height indicator within 150mm of the vehicle height and still be legal :open_mouth:

*The training consisted of watching a network rail video and answering multiple choice questions, and it had to be a 100% correct answer to all questions, otherwise they made you do it again & again

peirre:
Ironically I discovered at the last round of company **training that your allowed to set your in cab height indicator within 150mm of the vehicle height and still be legal :open_mouth:

The 1986 regulations stated that the height marker had to be set to within 25mm of the highest part of the vehicle but that was changed to 150mm by “The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1997”.

How’s that for a backward move :confused:

Winseer:
What gets me about all these bridge strikes - is why no one ever seems to pull up before the bridge, and realize they are stuck, and need to reverse back… We never seem to hear stories of “traffic held, whilst Plod sees trucker back” eh?

This “Trying to fit a double decker under a bridge clearly marked at least a foot lower” - completely baffles me, especially as it will involve at very least “instant dismissal” on top of the huge fine and points on licence and all…?

I have. The Embankment too. Committed across the crossroads when I spotted the bridge further down the road. Pulled up at the side, leaving enough room.for traffic, and walked to bridge to check… Bugger, to low.
Nothing for it, had to bite the bullet, and call the police, to guide me back onto the cross roads, to turn onto the river bridge. Copper was not impressed (rightly so :blush: ), and used the phrase “professional driver” several times, and not in a congratulatory sense… :grimacing: .
He let me off with a bollocking, because I did the right thing after my initial cockup.

peirre:

For the avoidance of any potential (likely?) confusion, that’s 150mm above the Actual Travelling Height; the indicator must not be set below the ATH

I suspect this idiot will get a bit more than a “six month ban”…

Not just a “Bridge strike”, but an unsafe load as well!

“Wanna buy a skip? - It really DID fall of the back of a Lorry guvnor!”

Fixed your link :wink: - Colingl

the maoster:
I’ve witnessed over height lorries reversing away from bridges. Perhaps my mistake was not to consider filming it for a wider audience?

I’ve done it myself - twice. I also used to take my 13’ truck under the 12’9" bridge at Hanbury Rd Stoke Prior several times a week.

goo.gl/maps/e6arSg5ZgLN6eUQZA

Santa:
I’ve done it myself - twice. I also used to take my 13’ truck under the 12’9" bridge at Hanbury Rd Stoke Prior several times a week.

goo.gl/maps/e6arSg5ZgLN6eUQZA

Easily done tbh. After years of pulling Euro fridges I got pimped out for a week collecting red pallets with a 15 foot odd curtainsider and had to collect some from a customer who I incidentally deliver to once a month with the fridge. They say that familiarity breeds contempt well I guess it’s true as I got to within fifty feet of the 14 foot bridge before I finally woke up. Totally and completely my fault but it was helped by the residents of Rotherham who showed their appreciation of my professionalism with their horns and shaken fists as I reversed out along the main road :blush: