Bridge strike - 6 month HGV ban

Zac_A:
I’ve just quoted the gov.uk website, and provided a direct link. If you believe you have evidence the info in that link is incorrect, please show me the link you’re reading.

You can put links up with factual information from government websites that shows the law in black and white, and people will still tell you that you are wrong :sunglasses:

Gareth Thomas:
Unless the trailer slopes up at back that trailer is not over 15,3 and so bridge height is incorrect.

TN CSI worthy of CF. If I were this driver, and I believed the above was true, I would have paid for someone to measure the clearance using accurate and verifiable kit, and if it were incorrectly signed (which I doubt) then it would have saved him more than £10,000 in lost wages, plus that fine, plus the points on his licence which is going to bump up his car insurance for years to come.

shullbit:
You can put links up with factual information from government websites that shows the law in black and white, and people will still tell you that you are wrong :sunglasses:

Yes, I keep forgetting how many things are different in the TN Twilight Zone, where simply having a vocational licence can mean you’re more qualified than a solicitor, an immunologist, an astrophysicist, or a TC :laughing:

If ever there was an incentive to do a runner after hitting a bridge rather than reporting it, then this is it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Zac_A:

Acorn:
What the media haven’t mentioned is the Brighton line closed / reduced for six hours. I wonder what compensation the operator will be charged -

I’ve got some facts and figures for a twenty-year-old incident involving a car transporter closing the East Coast main line for seven hours. That bill was a tad over £1,000,000 (plus interest), so adjusting for inflation, I’d reckon that’s an easy 2 million. No doubt there’s been some frantic manoeuvering by the insurers to see if they can duck out of coughing up.

Probably not far off, and much of that is often uninsured do straight off the operators bottom line
And drivers wonder why they get delayed for sneaking under a bridge contrary to the signage. It’s bad business, let alone bad driving.

stu675:

the nodding donkey:

Star down under.:
He should have got Carryfast as his defense advocate. [emoji38]

Currywürst has already added his comment to the article…

Gareth Thomas:
Unless the trailer slopes up at back that trailer is not over 15,3 and so bridge height is incorrect.

Is he right, do you get fridges that slope?
The leading edge looks fine, but badly damaged further back.

Really? Is that the level of intelligence and common sense we now have to live with?

A quick Google for “double decker fridge trailers” shows a whole page of trailers with a sloping front…

And more importantly, if the front of the trailer is undamaged, but the rear end made contact with the bridge, what dies that tell you…

I dispare.

stu675:

the nodding donkey:

Star down under.:
He should have got Carryfast as his defense advocate. [emoji38]

Currywürst has already added his comment to the article…

Gareth Thomas:

Is he right, do you get fridges that slope?
The leading edge looks fine, but badly damaged further back.

fleetowner.com/refrigerated … s-trailers
warehousenews.co.uk/2019/01/car … logistics/

And a “standard” straight frame fridge, with a low unit 5th wheel, will be higher at the back than the front.

PS
networkrailmediacentre.co.u … and-sussex
The bridge is on the A237, if it was incorrectly marked I suspect it would have been hit many times before now, and since.
PS the second:
I posted this after ND made his post, but before his post appeared…anyway great minds…or fools…?

Zac_A:

Gareth Thomas:

TN CSI worthy of CF. If I were this driver, and I believed the above was true, I would have paid for someone to measure the clearance using accurate and verifiable kit, and if it were incorrectly signed (which I doubt) then it would have saved him more than £10,000 in lost wages, plus that fine, plus the points on his licence which is going to bump up his car insurance for years to come.

Realistically driving such high vehicles on general routes is playing Russian Roulette with your licence and livelihood.
There’s obviously no need to measure the bridge height if the vehicle height is known and can be proven and it’s within the marked height of the bridge.Bearing in mind the in cab height indicator which should be accurately set.
The fact is do we really need over 4m let alone over 15’ high vehicles running around on general routes.

Star down under.:
He should have got Carryfast as his defense advocate. :laughing:

He didn’t want to go to jail.

Driver at our place hit a bridge last week, 11’ 7” bridge Vs 13’ unit & trailer, might have got away with it in the past but our firm has got sick of it happening, he’s probably out of a job by Xmas.

Franglais:
warehousenews.co.uk/2019/01/car … logistics/

^ Ironically that just seems to confirm the liability of high vehicles.
The truth is drivers are paying the price of an industry based on too short and too high vehicles in an attempt to claw back the resulting lost productively of silly length limits.

discoman:

Star down under.:
He should have got Carryfast as his defense advocate. :laughing:

He didn’t want to go to jail.

To be fair there’s more chance of that happening by admitting hitting a 4.2m bridge with a 16’ trailer without a fight.

Carryfast:
The truth is drivers are paying the price of an industry based on too short and too high vehicles in an attempt to claw back the resulting lost productively of silly length limits.

You think we should have longer trailers in the UK?

Or are you referring to being allowed to pull multiple trailers?

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

tachograph:

Carryfast:

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

And down the rabbit hole we go…

the nodding donkey:

tachograph:

Carryfast:

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

tachograph:

Either would be fine if they’re pulled by a 6x4 tractor unit running on red diesel. :stuck_out_tongue:

tachograph:

Carryfast:

No I just think that the 25m long Scandinavian or NZ type, or for that matter UK fairground type, drawbar outfit would be better than whacking bridges with around 16’ high vehicles.
Or causng more collateral damage than GW1 and 2 with a longer overhang and tail sweep than the Queen Mary.

tachograph:

the nodding donkey:

tachograph:

Carryfast:

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

At least you didn’t mention A or B doubles.

What gets me about all these bridge strikes - is why no one ever seems to pull up before the bridge, and realize they are stuck, and need to reverse back… We never seem to hear stories of “traffic held, whilst Plod sees trucker back” eh?

This “Trying to fit a double decker under a bridge clearly marked at least a foot lower” - completely baffles me, especially as it will involve at very least “instant dismissal” on top of the huge fine and points on licence and all…?

Winseer:
What gets me about all these bridge strikes - is why no one ever seems to pull up before the bridge, and realize they are stuck, and need to reverse back… We never seem to hear stories of “traffic held, whilst Plod sees trucker back” eh?

Really?
“Truck Hits Bridge” makes a headline, and thousands of commuters having trains cancelled makes a story.
“Truck Slightly Inconveniences Local Traffic” isn`t going to sell papers.