Bridge heights!

Hey folks,

Looking for some help on bridge heights in Europe: (Belgium, Holland, Germany and the Czech Repubic)

Im exporting 9 Preserved buses and 2 trucks to a museum in the Czech Republic from Glasgow. The tallest is 14 feet 6 inches (4.4 meters). Ive looked almost everywhere and even called the embasies of the respective countries and nobody seems to know what is going on.

I read a post about a truck being 27cms too high in Itally and are trucks not usually lower that double deck buses■■?

I would be really really really gratefull for any help advice and information that you may be able to provide on any aspect of our trip!!!

Thank you

Standard height for trucks on Euro work is 4 metre. You will have problems moving anything taller, although it will be possible- it will just involve taking the (very) long way round.

Try this kellysearch.com/qz-product-161443.html

Bigredrml
here are the telephone ,fax no.s and e-mail for the BAG in GERMANY
Ask them for help with regards heights and any other questions you might have as regards the tranport in question, You can put your questions inEnglish as they will translate it themselves,ALSO they will make sure that you do get a answer as regards your query,

TELEPHONE NO- 0049–221–5776-0
FAX NO–0049–2215776–1777

E-MAIL–Poststelle@bag.bund.de

When the other members who live abroad or who have some infomation
are on line then they might be able to help with addresses from B.NL-CZ-

The Magic Bus Co. had to stop doing NL years ago because they couldn`t get under the 4m rule. The fines were historic. :smiley:

I can say that there are doubledeckers over herein Germany and running on the road but not as a daily concern due to the problem with the height of the bus and the low height of the bridges,many are used as promotion vehicles ,but is there not a firm in the UK that remodels the buses as mobile homes, unfortunatly
i can not remember the name of the company,but it is I belive down south
some where,perhaps they might be able to help with information ,

You will live in fear without a doubt. Maybe some of the heavy haulage firms could help out with routes and advice but it involves many diversions so you can get over the top of most bridges. I would rather poke my eyes out than undertake such a trip but it can be done.

dont forget you can not use evrey border crossing with a bus into the Czech Rep
give me a shout if you need the list
Geoff

I dropped a 4.4 metre mega taughtliner trailer off at Norfolk Line Whittlesea(Murfitts old yard) and when i spoke to the bod in the office about why they wanted it,(they only do fridges) he said cos its going to France,special job, i said wish the driver luck, 4.4 mega, and he was going to go with a normal height ( not low 5th wheel or mega tyred spec motor) to France with it. I know France are quite generous with height limits, but would you take a 4.4 high ( with a mega spec unit) trailer over the water with a normal height 5th wheel height 6x2 unit. Must have been pushing 4.6 or 4.8 metre, I doubt it even got on the boat!!!

kindle530:
I dropped a 4.4 metre mega taughtliner trailer off at Norfolk Line Whittlesea(Murfitts old yard) and when i spoke to the bod in the office about why they wanted it,(they only do fridges) he said cos its going to France,special job, i said wish the driver luck, 4.4 mega, and he was going to go with a normal height ( not low 5th wheel or mega tyred spec motor) to France with it. I know France are quite generous with height limits, but would you take a 4.4 high ( with a mega spec unit) trailer over the water with a normal height 5th wheel height 6x2 unit. Must have been pushing 4.6 or 4.8 metre, I doubt it even got on the boat!!!

that’s not too bad, one of ours ran marseille to calais last week at 4.63m high no hassle at all just had to miss one P&O boat due to height

the route down to czech wouldn’t be that bad, if you want to pm me bigredrml i can put you in touch with our agent who should be able to help for a fee

I would go france and germany and stay on the motorways. Belgium and lux sould be difficult. 4.4m is only 40 cm ie 15" above the standard. I used to run with 4.2 to Verona no problem (except when I got caught in Swiss one time, that was expensive)

julian:
I would go france and germany and stay on the motorways. Belgium and lux sould be difficult. 4.4m is only 40 cm ie 15" above the standard. I used to run with 4.2 to Verona no problem (except when I got caught in Swiss one time, that was expensive)

only 40cm? it only needs to be 4cm to ■■■■ the wrong bridge :open_mouth: and he’s not going to verona or to italy - not having a go julian but hardly helpful advice is it mate? you would come to grief at more than 50% of german motorway bridges at 4.40m :confused:

Cheapest route to Italy was via Belgium Lux and Germany or France, same countries just fifferent directions at Lux city. At 20cm over I used to go careful under the bridges, Belgium was tight Germany did not seem to be so tight. I dont know the exact height of German Autobahn bridges but I was very interested to hear your claim that over 50% were less than 4.4m on the Autobahn, they never looked that low. French motorway briges are nice and high.
I made it clear that it had not been to Czech at this height but the other countries yes. Often the routes to two different destinations can cover similar roads.
So few people on this post ran as dodgy as me, so when a question asking about breaking the law is asked I often feel I may have some experience or other that may help.

JULIAN the bridges in Germany are normaly only posted
when they are under 4.00 m YES there is also a 0.20cm
safety gap but not if the road has been redone, any
vehicle over the allowed running height has to get
permits and also survey its route before hand,
AS for coaches i am not 100% sure and i can,t
find it but there was a little lee way for buses ,why
not try asking one of the good coach firms that go
across to europe as they will defnitley have this
information to hand,