bridge bashing

found this in my local rag

LORRY STUCK UNDER BRIDGE DESPITE RADAR

10:30 - 27 April 2005
A radar warning system failed to stop a truck getting stuck under a bridge, closing a busy road.

At around 7pm last night a heavy goods vehicle rammed the railway bridge over the A5 in Hinckley. The road was closed for nine hours while the lorry was removed and the bridge was checked for damage.

Police said the bridge had been fitted with an alert system which illuminates flashing warning signs when high vehicles approach the low bridge.

A police spokesman said: "There should have been a flashing light warning the driver his vehicle was too high. We don’t know why that didn’t stop him.

"Because of damage to the bridge we had to close the road in both directions. There were concerns about the risk of falling masonry.

“Railtrack was called to inspect the bridge and a forklift truck had to be sent for to get the cargo out of the lorry before it was moved. The road re-opened at 4am.”

SOME -ONE correct me if I am wrong in this statement,but. are we not
supposed to have the HEIGHT of the HIGHEST point in the vehicles
combination in the cabin to PREVENT this type of incident■■?

that we are i am always aware of mine and i still duck when i know i only got a couple of inches clear lol

I NO THAT BRIDGE WELL IT THE ONE BY THE SHELL GARAGE I HAVE SEEN THEM FLASING SIGN,S I IGNORE THEM I AM 14,9 THE TRAILER HE LOOKS LIKE HE,S PULLING IS A STANDARD TAUTLINER MUST BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE 5 FIFTH WHEEL HEIGHT WAGON,S ARE ALWAY,S COMIN AN GOIN UNDER THERE

As i live in Hinckley, its there is a piece in the local paper about bridge bashing, if its no tthe A5 one its Rugby Road railway bridge(the road that goes from the A5,M69 island into the town).

I bodyswerved the bridge at Bingham 15’ 3" today as I was pulling a trailer that was 15’3".
The flashing lights on the sign on the A46 were going continuously, but there was no warning for me.
On the way back, the lights on the sign on the A52 only went on when I passed the height poles and the sign told me I was too tall.
WHY?
Obviously, the sign on the A46 is goosed, so it’s still down to the driver, regardless of what the sign do or do not tell us.

He should have told them he was delivering a bridge, but ran out of fuel :laughing:

although the bridge state’s 15’3 and this is your running height,you will get under it as there is alway’s a few inch’s to play with.i got under a 14’3’’ bridge with a 14’9’'trailer :wink:

Dratsabasti:
I bodyswerved the bridge at Bingham 15’ 3" today as I was pulling a trailer that was 15’3".
The flashing lights on the sign on the A46 were going continuously, but there was no warning for me.
On the way back, the lights on the sign on the A52 only went on when I passed the height poles and the sign told me I was too tall.
WHY?
Obviously, the sign on the A46 is goosed, so it’s still down to the driver, regardless of what the sign do or do not tell us.

He should have told them he was delivering a bridge, but ran out of fuel :laughing:

that sign on the 46 is always flashing :laughing: :laughing:

kit kat you claim got under a 14’3" bridge with a higher trailer :unamused:
i think you should put a bridge marked as 14’3" cos we know the maths dont add up …do you know the real height of the trailer
i recently used a rental trailer that was supposed to be 4.1 m but it was the same height as our own 4m trailers :laughing:

hitch:
kit kat you claim got under a 14’3" bridge with a higher trailer :unamused:
i think you should put a bridge marked as 14’3" cos we know the maths dont add up …do you know the real height of the trailer
i recently used a rental trailer that was supposed to be 4.1 m but it was the same height as our own 4m trailers :laughing:

yeah trl height 14’9’’ m8,i forgot to add that i had to lower suspension to get under it as there was no way i could reverse as it was on a bad bend and had no turning area.i had the help off another driver ( p&o ) to watch me through.so if you ever get caught out like i did,don’t panic.so hitch most bridges will have a safe marked height that will go under the bridge,but they will always give you a few inch’s.as i run with 14’9’’ trl’s all the time i do alot of deliveries round the south street area of glasgow,there are bridges marked at all different height’s one that i use alot is marked at 14’9’’ same height as trl,but i get under it no problem’s and i still have a couple of inch’s left. :wink:

that is not always true kitkat. some bridges are marked higher than they actually are. with some you can see that the actual height is nowhere near the marked height. i always apply a 6 inch rule. if the cab says it is within 6 inches of the bridge height, i re-route. i wont chance it. hence, i have never hit a bridge. i do know of someone who got stuck under one in a 7.5 tonner though :astonished:

That would be the chap that lost his roof in the damaged load thread! there was an accident there yesterday I don’t know if the bridge copped it again all I know was we were told to re-route.
Some people get this bridge by getting under loaded then tipping at Dodwells and forgetting that they will be sitting higher on the way out!

Have to be careful with resurfing of roads under bridges too. Could add an inch or 2

kitkat:
so if you ever get caught out like i did,don’t panic.so hitch most bridges will have a safe marked height that will go under the bridge,but they will always give you a few inch’s

I’ve heard that as well but I would rather not try it out, considering I doubt they alter the signs when roads are resurfaced and become a little bit “higher’”.

Jaycool007:
Have to be careful with resurfing of roads under bridges too. Could add an inch or 2

thats why the councils are required to skim the surface to put bridge back to it’s height.

scanny77…why re-route if you know that you have 6 or so inch’s to play with and you know that the trl will fit.you seem to be giving yourself more work and miles plus using more fuel.and just to add i have never hit a bridge either.

Because kitkat…your “plan” won’t always work. One day you’ll come to one of those 14ft 2" signed bridges with your 14ft 9 trailer and find it doesn’t go under anymore because they resurfaced the road.

Oh and if you wonder why people don’t think we’re professional anymore I suggest you take a look in the mirror.

No wonder people think we’re stupid when some of us pulling a clearly marked 14ft 9" trailer hit a clearly marked 14ft 2" bridge.

Jacko123:
As i live in Hinckley, its there is a piece in the local paper about bridge bashing, if its no tthe A5 one its Rugby Road railway bridge(the road that goes from the A5,M69 island into the town).

as I was along the A5 tuesday, the one at dodwells bridge near hickley always makes me do a double take on the hight as I head towards it, as the standard reefers we pull are 13 9" the high reefers are 14 9" and the live bed double decks are 15+ so I have to instantly try to remember wot trailer type Im pulling
but the 1 that worries mr most is is 1 in walsall? at 14` 2" as I head towards willenhall,
though we have recently recieved a memo regarding bridges, because 1 guy hit the bridge at thorne (A614? near M18 J6)

funny bit
and…since I mentioned the A5 tuesday,
I got to the M42 roundabout (after driving from lutterworth to safeway tamworth) and broke a red air line leaving me stranded at the lights in the R/H lane, no problem I call the office and they sort the mobile fitter out,
but while Im waiting, Im flagging the traffic making sure no one ends up stuck behind me, a blond ignores my info while she is arguing on the phone clamped to her ear totally oblivious to the broken down truck with the hazards flashing, she pulls up behind, after a few moments she starts beeping her horn, meanwhile I am inches from her drivers window, trying to tell her to drive around, she still dont see me or the flashing hazards on the truck because shes still arguing on the phone. in the end I gave up on her, but she wasnt amused at me stood there laughing at her when she finally realised what was wrong

peirre:
though we have recently recieved a memo regarding bridges, because 1 guy hit the bridge at thorne (A614? near M18 J6)

Would this have happened a few days ago? Trailer loaded with pallets that ended up strewn across the road?

I think the warning sign on the A5 has been flashing for about 2 years. The one before MIRA.

I picked a trailer up on monday from the depot, a driver had taken it under a 13’6 bridge in chorley, the trailer was 14’0.

It was a sliding roof trailer so it shouldnt have mattered, except this one now slides from the front.

I took it for repair and the bloke was rubbing his hands in delight, he has had dozens like this from our gallic friends :stuck_out_tongue:

kitkat:
although the bridge state’s 15’3 and this is your running height,you will get under it as there is alway’s a few inch’s to play with.i got under a 14’3’’ bridge with a 14’9’'trailer :wink:

aye but thats cos ur a ffa jim u kept the rig low with ur weight m8
hehehe… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::wink: