Brexit ferry contractor has no ferries

bbc.co.uk/news/business-46714984

A few years ago my old lot were supposed to be using some super high speed catamaran from Ramsgate to Boulogne which never materialised.

Personally it just sums up the mess in the fact that with roughly three months left the government are splashing cash on ferry contracts, to a company that hasn’t even got a ferry from a port that’s not even a viable option for heavy ferries.

Back to queues in the stairs but this time it will be on the ferry stairs, they will probably employ the black customs bloke who took our passports off us in Portsmouth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ferry?

Interestingly… The company involved is something to do with the brother of the guy who owns JCB - am ardent Brexiteer and large Tory party donor…

The company in question was going to buy the old Woolwich ferries for the job but were gazumped by the French … :slight_smile:

Perhaps the fact that there is no ferry is just scaremongering?

So the government have given a company with no boats a job to, bring freight across the channel after Brexit, because of the problems were going to have, Just proves their isn’t going to be any problems, No boats no waiting no problems. More scaremongering.

:confused: This might help them…

s-l300.jpg

4997__transport_ferry_036.jpg

biggriffin:
So the government have given a company with no boats a job to, bring freight across the channel after Brexit, because of the problems were going to have, Just proves their isn’t going to be any problems, No boats no waiting no problems. More scaremongering.

Your logic eludes me.
Because the Gov is employing a company with no boats, you believe we don`t need boats?
A bus is about to drive down a mountain road. The driver says the bus has no brakes. According to your thinking that means there is no need for brakes. I would think the bus driver is a nutter. I think the bus driver is not unique.

Reading the article it would seem most of the money has been spent on contract with DFDS and Brittany ferries, over £90m, which do have some experience of operating ferries.
It would seem this company was formed a couple of years ago to start operating ferries out of Ramsgate again, something that I would imagine that a Kent councillor would normally welcome, especially as many complain of lack of work in that part of Kent, maybe the councillor has ulterior motive for not wanting a ferry service operating out of Ramsgate again, maybe his house is on the route the trucks would take?
I wouldn’t know how long it would normally take from setting up a new company to finally operating a ferry, but I’d imagine it does take time to put it all in place, although they say they’ve pushed back the start date from Feb to March already, which is concerning. Maybe we’ll see if it might be happening if they actually start dredging Ramsgate in January as they say they’re going to do.

This is going to be a complete disaster. Our country is going to crumble.

I remember when they used to bring VW cars in there and park them up at manston, I cannot imagine them wanting all that traffic there again now.

Radar19:

Gregory Distribution [UK] buys ARR Craig, Lineage [USA] buys Yearsleys, EmergeVest [HK] buys everybody…

Somebody knows something, as the money spent by these guys is serious dosh, and would certainly not have been spent if it was all going ■■■■ up over here…

What it looks like to me based on reports I’ve seen is that a bunch of spivs have managed to insert themselves into the process as middle men, increasing costs while ultimately bringing nothing new to the table.

Radar19:

With great leadership, a parliament working for the people and country united in making it work, everything will be fine. :smiley:

You’re right we’re ■■■■■■. :open_mouth: :laughing:

muckles:

Radar19:

With great leadership, a parliament working for the people and country united in making it work, everything will be fine. :smiley:

You’re right we’re [zb]. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Happy New Year !

Stanley Mitchell:

Radar19:

Gregory Distribution [UK] buys ARR Craig, Lineage [USA] buys Yearsleys, EmergeVest [HK] buys everybody…

Somebody knows something, as the money spent by these guys is serious dosh, and would certainly not have been spent if it was all going ■■■■ up over here…

What we do know is Seaborne Freight has connections with one of the Tory party’s largest donors.

Stanley Mitchell:

Radar19:

XPO buying N.D. may have been a good investment for them, and also for some of their depots, but it has seen much of their fleet “flagged out” to East Euro companies. Mostly EE reg trucks in Europe now, many fewer French etc ones.
Companies being bought may be a sign of investment, or equally could be asset strippers couldn`t it?

Franglais:

muckles:

Radar19:

You’re right we’re [zb]. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Happy New Year !

Happy New Year to you, bit early, but whatever your views on Brexit, 2019 will be interesting.

What’s that old curse?

“May you live in interesting times”

Franglais:

Stanley Mitchell:

Radar19:

XPO buying N.D. may have been a good investment for them, and also for some of their depots, but it has seen much of their fleet “flagged out” to East Euro companies. Mostly EE reg trucks in Europe now, many fewer French etc ones.
Companies being bought may be a sign of investment, or equally could be asset strippers couldn`t it?

I seem to remember seeing a lot of Polish registered ND units pulling French registered trailers before XPO bought the company.

As for asset stripping, can hardly blame that on Brexit, been a problem in this country for decades, part of the global economic system which benefits a few, but rarely is good for the average worker.

muckles:
Happy New Year to you, bit early, but whatever your views on Brexit, 2019 will be interesting.

What’s that old curse?

“May you live in interesting times”

“Interesting Times” indeed. :smiley:

At times like this Im reminded of HitchHikers Guide To The Universe, the white mice say they deliberately run the wrong way in the mazes, to confuse researchers. I almost start believing there is a God who is setting up all sorts of confusing situations. and watching us, just to amuse Her/HimSelf!