Brewery Lorries

DEANB:
Bass Volvo F7

Hi Dean, Thank you for the “Bass” Volvo picture. I don’t know whether you ever tried “Draught Bass”,
it had a unique taste, unlike any other type of beer. From when I was about 17 & a half, I used to go
in my local Higsons pub, “The Cats Whiskers”, and sort of hide myself from the view of the staff because
I was underage for drinking beer. However, once I reached 18, I always carried some identification with
me to prove my age, at that time I was, and still am 5ft 4ins tall, but back then I looked about 15 yrs old.
I have aged and weathered a bit since then, I am not as pretty as I used to be. Ray. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :wink:

Murrays Brewery Edinburgh Brewed Good Scottish Beer.
Nice Leyland Comet. Pulling a Single Axle Tanker Both Look Good

United Caledonian Brewery.
BMC Nice Reliable 4 wheeler in its day

[zb]
anorak:
They add/subtract the relevant minerals to make the water the same

I worked for a brewery for over 3 years and spent some time helping with the brewing process, wanna know what the secret is? PH levels. I remember the head brewer adding some powder to replicate the water from Burton Upon Trent, I cant remember what he added and at what point but I’d imagine it would be either pre mashing in or at the wort stage.

4 in Eccles and 2 in North Wales

Last one not actually a Brewery but had a contract with someone and can’t remember who with :confused:
Ray

flishflunk:
4 in Eccles and 2 in North Wales
Last one not actually a Brewery but had a contract with someone and can’t remember who with :confused:
Ray

The Yellow DHL could be working for Kuene & Nagel who deliver beers for many breweries.
Jennings of Cockermouth, and Robinsons of Stockport are 2 of my favourite beers !!
Thank you for the pictures. Regards, Ray.

A few here of Cameron’s of Hartlepool. Loved their Strongarm beer.

Camerons foden S21.jpg

cameron's Scammell.jpg

camerons-delivery-wagon_medium.jpg

Camerons erf.jpg

camerons-steam-lorry_medium.jpg

Another North East Brewery…Hic! Thirsty work this!

Federation lcl.jpg

Federation aec.jpg

Federation brewery 4.jpg

Federation brewery 5.jpg

federation brewery 3.jpg

Federation brewery.jpg

Federation brewery site.jpg

Not a Brewery Lorry - (It’s a lorry doing brewery work).

Leyland Octopus - Walter Southworth - (WTC68):

A rather sad looking Bedford TK lorry of Gales Ales Brewery of Horndean in Hampshire. Ray Smyth.

Gales.jpg

Gales Ales.jpg

These little beer lorries in Mojacar in Spain carry out a valuable service.
I have seen them sometimes as late as 10pm, still delivering. Gracias y Muy Bien,Senors.
Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:

flishflunk:
Ray

The Yellow DHL could be working for Kuene & Nagel who deliver beers for many breweries.
Regards, Ray.

DHL have their own dray side of things DHL - Trade Team, most of them (and K&N) are ex Scottish & Newcastle or even Federation brewery draymen and are on a pretty good pay packet for delivering beer! At least £10K per year more than me :open_mouth:

This is what I drive a few days a week (could be in a 7.5t or 12t other days but this is the best of our fleet, this isn’t the exact lorry I drive this is probably one of the ones from head office depot)

p.s if you’ve been over taken by one of the above lorries on the way to Edinburgh or Glasgow and it was a sketchy overtake, I wasn’t driving! Oh and LWC has its own line of alcoholic beverages so I suppose it is a brewery vehicle :laughing:

A few more:

Ford - Castlemaine XXXX - (K791MMW):

DAF LF - Kuehne & Nagel - (SN06GXM):

Iveco - Kuehne & Nagel - (FA16EHB):

Iveco - Kuehne & Nagel - (FJ12CGX);

A few older ones:

Chevrolet - Duttons - (ACK181):

ZZ  ACK181.jpg

Commer Superpoise Q4 - Matthew Brown, Lion Ales - (ACK497):

ZZ  ACK497.jpg

Leyland Beaver - Beverley Breweries Ltd - (AHL622):

Albion - Barnsley Brewery Co Ltd - (DHE443):

Albion Chieftain - Matthew Brown, Lion Ales - (JBV474):

ZZ  JBV474  (1).jpg

Leyland Steer - Wm Hancock & Co Ltd - (KBO622):

Leyland Beaver - Mitchell & Butlers - (KHA699):

Thornycroft Swiftsure - Joules, Stone Ales - (MBF634):

Albion FT3 - R White - (PGC409):

Leyland Beaver - Offilers Ale - (RC9098):

Ghiabox:

Ray Smyth:

flishflunk:
Ray

Regards, Ray.

DHL have their own dray side of things DHL - Trade Team, most of them (and K&N) are ex Scottish & Newcastle or even Federation brewery draymen and are on a pretty good pay packet for delivering beer! At least £10K per year more than me :open_mouth:

This is what I drive a few days a week (could be in a 7.5t or 12t other days but this is the best of our fleet, this isn’t the exact lorry I drive this is probably one of the ones from head office depot)

p.s if you’ve been over taken by one of the above lorries on the way to Edinburgh or Glasgow and it was a sketchy overtake, I wasn’t driving! Oh and LWC has its own line of alcoholic beverages so I suppose it is a brewery vehicle :laughing:

Just wondering if LWC took over Findlater and Mackie of Manchester. It appears to be the same address.
Findlaters was my first job after leaving school in 1966.

Ray

GCR2ERF:

gingerfold:

cav551:

paulycats:
12I’m sure most of the lads from the North East recognise this brewery (and no doubt had a pint or two from it’s product)
Built on the main road which of course became the A19, wish i had a quid for every time i passed it.

Became a Whitbread brewery in the early 60’s, closed in 2002.
Personally i loved the “Trophy” beer.They brewed Mackeson Stout here too.

More of a technical query this: So there is a recipe for brewing a particular beer which is clearly closely followed by any brewery making another’s product, but what about the water? The taste of water varies slightly throughout the country according to whatever minerals are in it, so how do they overcome that?

It was because of the local water quality that Burton on Trent became famous for its breweries, some of which were, and are, national brands. Magee Marshall brewery, which was in Bolton, and became part of the Greenall Whitley group, used water drawn from a well in Burton on Trent. Railcar tanks were used for transporting the water from Burton to Bolton and the brewery had its own rail siding. Search any publication about railway private ownership wagons and you will find a photo of one of Magee’s water tanks. Incidentally Magee’s had a large number of pubs in Blackpool and in the summer season several of Magee’s Leyland Comets and trailers ran between Bolton and Blackpool daily.

Modern practice for breweries is to add a mixture of minerals, etc to their ‘base’ water to make it into the standard required for whatever they are brewing. This is sometimes known as “Burton-ising” the water. The important thing for brewers is consistency in their ingredients, recipe and brewing method - they are looking for the same results every time.

According to “allaboutbeer.com” Burton water is high in calcium and magnesium but low in sodium and bicarb.
Although consistency of flavour is important in branded beers, that’s contrary to the trend for micro breweries offering small batches all with differing flavours. S’pose it’s similar with whiskies? A blended brand being a reliable taste, but a single being more interesting? And wines…

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

chrisb01:
01Samuel Webster’s Brewery Halifax,one of the brewery itself and the other of the dray fleet(amazingly an all British fleet).Both found on the web.

The thing that sticks in my mind most of all from delivering to Webster’s from Ind Coope, was the picturesque-sounding address -
Samuel Webster and Sons, The Fountain Head Brewery, Ovenden Wood. I still remember it 40 years on!

Steve

Higsons Brewery, Liverpool, publicity pictures and advertising. One of Higsons long running slogans was,

“When you think its time to stop…DART in for a DOUBLE TOP”, a fine bottle of Brown Ale. Regards, Ray.

Double Top.png

Higsons Double Top.jpg

Looking at some of these photos the preservationists are doing a good job in reminding us of some well-remembered brewing names from yesteryear.

Shepherd Neame had many of these Leyland Boxer Chinese six drays.