Brewery Lorries

Staying on the Guinness - A photograph copied from the Buses, Coaches & Lorries thread:

Former Liverpool Corporation Tramcar 869 seen leaving a Glasgow tram shed following withdrawal by Glasgow Corporation and
heading South for preservation. 869 is now fully restored and lives at the National Tramway Museum at Crich, Derbyshire.

I watched a program recently on Talking Pictures channel about the last Tram in Glasgow, quite interesting and an important social history event to be caught on camera. Franky.

Very much doubt it was originally a Charles Wells lorry but would imagine it’s been done for publicity/advertising.

0B44B774-8170-4DD8-874A-FC737D69E67C.jpeg

Bedford W Series type similar to what I passed my test in 1952.
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

What a great picture Eddie. Thwaites, until recently had a large brewery in the centre of
Blackburn. I have enjoyed the occasional pint or two of Thwaites bitter from time to time.
I wonder if this Bedford was originally with Thwaites Brewery, with it having registration
letters BV, one of the Blackburn set of number plate letters. Cheers, Ray.

Bowland Brewery is in Clitheroe in Lancashire. In addition to brewing beer,
it also has a restaurant, and an ex Northampton Daimler double decker bus
parked in the brewery grounds on which customers can eat and have a drink.

Leyland Clydesdale of Higsons Brewery in Liverpool. NMP.

Higsons Leyland.jpg

Charrington Bedford.

Pastoral scene here Ray, fording the River Darent at Eynsford village in Kent.
Oily

Brewery Lorry Crossing the Ford, River Darent, Eynsford Village, Kent in PD from Barry Marsh 25570920054_914e2f3d48_k.jpg

oiltreader:
Pastoral scene here Ray, fording the River Darent at Eynsford village in Kent.
Oily

What a lovely picture Eddie. I wouldnt have risked driving my lorry across the river, You never know what
might have been dumped in the water recently. :unamused: The roadsign should show " Plonker in a Volvo ". :wink:

Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

oiltreader:
Oily

What a great picture Eddie. Thwaites, until recently had a large brewery in the centre of
Blackburn. I have enjoyed the occasional pint or two of Thwaites bitter from time to time.
I wonder if this Bedford was originally with Thwaites Brewery, with it having registration
letters BV. Cheers, Ray.

IIRC a crowd of marauding folk from a ‘travellers’ site (allegedly on ‘holiday’ from Ireland ):roll: did an excellent job of wrecking/trashing the brewing plant. :imp:

grumpy old man:

Ray Smyth:

oiltreader:
Oily

letters BV. Cheers, Ray.

IIRC a crowd of marauding folk from a ‘travellers’ site (allegedly on ‘holiday’ from Ireland ):roll: did an excellent job of wrecking/trashing the brewing plant. :imp:

Marstons took over the Thwaites brewing and now I believe Carlsberg have something to do with it,Thwaites distribution centre is on the Shadsworth ind estate,used to be a regular delivery for me until the lockdown and tier system put pay to the keg work,always liked a pint of their Wainwright cask in my local…

Magee Marshall & Co Ltd, Bolton:

In the opening post of this thread, Ray gave a list of the names of a few old breweries. One of them was Magee Marshall & Co Ltd of Bolton.
I’m 73 years old this year - far too young to have ever sampled their beers. They were taken over in 1958 by Warrington based brewer Greenall Whitley who went on to cease brewing beer and become a ‘pub owning company’.

This photo was taken last week-end. It is the Barristers, situated on Towngate in Leyland. It used to be a Magee Marshall pub called the George the Fourth Hotel and was included in the takeover by Greenalls. I have passed the pub thousands of times over the years, but the first time I really noticed it was when I was driving past some time in the mid 1990s and had to stop at the traffic lights. The outside of the pub was being re-painted and a large wooden Greenall Whitley nameboard had been removed for re-painting. Its removal had exposed stonework showing the name of the brewer, Magee Marshall & Co Ltd.

Fortunately, I always carry a camera and stopped to take this photo:

Back in the 80’s, when I took this photo, Ales were not very common here in the US. Thousands of “Micro-Breweries” has since been established and Ales of all types are sold here. Genessee 12-Horse, made in NY was one of the few we had back then. Compared to English Ales, you guys would have laughed. This is an IH 4300, popular in the day.
IH 4300 Eagle by ■■■■ Copello, on Flickr

Leyland DAF 55, Ward’s Best Bitter:

This new, unregistered, Leyland DAF 55 was photographed in Leyland in about 1998/99 .
I think that at that time, Ward’s Best Bitter, (originally called Ward’s Sheffield Best Bitter), was brewed and distributed by Vaux Brewery.
Since the closure of the Vaux Brewery, the Double Maxim Brewing Company has held the rights to brew Ward’s Best Bitter.

TROOPER2:
Leyland DAF 55, Ward’s Best Bitter:

This new, unregistered, Leyland DAF 55 was photographed in Leyland in about 1978/79 .
I think that at that time, Ward’s Best Bitter, (originally called Ward’s Sheffield Best Bitter), was brewed and distributed by Vaux Brewery.
Since the closure of the Vaux Brewery, the Double Maxim Brewing Company has held the rights to brew Ward’s Best Bitter.

Don’t you mean 1998/99 [emoji6]

Sent while from gods know where

Thanks blue estate.
corrected.

TROOPER2:
Magee Marshall & Co Ltd, Bolton:

In the opening post of this thread, Ray gave a list of the names of a few old breweries. One of them was Magee Marshall & Co Ltd of Bolton.
I’m 73 years old this year - far too young to have ever sampled their beers. They were taken over in 1958 by Warrington based brewer Greenall
Whitley who went on to cease brewing beer and become a ‘pub owning company’.

This photo was taken last week-end. It is the Barristers, situated on Towngate in Leyland. It used to be a Magee Marshall pub called the George the Fourth Hotel and was included in the takeover by Greenalls. I have passed the pub thousands of times over the years, but the first time I really noticed it was when I was driving past some time in the mid 1990s and had to stop at the traffic lights. The outside of the pub was being re-painted and a large wooden Greenall Whitley nameboard had been removed for re-painting. Its removal had exposed stonework showing the name of the brewer, Magee Marshall & Co Ltd.

Fortunately, I always carry a camera and stopped to take this photo:

Thank you for these 2 interesting pictures. I remember a couple of Magee Marshall pubs in the Wigan area, so I had a bit
of a look around of their history. They took over many small breweries and pubs in the Northwest. Mines a pint, Cheers, Ray. :wink:

1949 Bradford Corporation Trolley bus (EKU746) displaying an advert for Mather’s Black Beer:

John Smith’s Bedford.