Breezy tonight apparently

80mph winds in north midlands tonight, which begs the question - at what point do you give up and wait it out?

Whenever YOU feel it’s unsafe to carry on

pete-b:

you bet me too it :laughing:

Is there no telltales then? I’ve never really come across this so suspect I’d be a bit quick to “bail out” if you see what I mean?

When you’re lying in a ditch it’s probably too late :wink:

darkseeker:
Is there no telltales then? I’ve never really come across this so suspect I’d be a bit quick to “bail out” if you see what I mean?

The telltales are normally the curtainsider in front of you has daylight under the trailer wheels :laughing:

Taut curtains prevent them working like a billowing sail, and slow down a bit if unsure, better late than be the late darkseeker!

darkseeker:

i allways think its time to stop when the gusts start pushing you out of the lane so fast you cant react quick enuff. And defo stop before its laid on its side waiting for its belly stroking :laughing: :laughing:

pete-b:

Trouble is the next driver usually carries on and makes you look like a ■■■■, thing with bad weather is its usually a no win for the driver. Think it was last year maybe the year before terrible winds, lorries going over on their side on the A1,74,M6,A66 our main trunk routes. My work put up this memo saying it was completely a drivers own decision. So you had some they didn’t want to go and some that did so they would lose the hours. It put the drivers that didn’t want to go in a sticky situation. I usually keep all these memos and letters so i’ll have a look but the wording they used was very clever :imp:

Seen the weather tonight on the news, a few drivers will be getting blisters on their hands me thinks :smiley:

The safest way to drive in high winds is side by side with another lorry, when they fall over it’s not because of the wind gust blowing you over, but because of the negative pressure on the leeward side, so effectively you get sucked over :open_mouth: running side by side eliminates this :wink: although I wouldn’t plan a journey using this method I would use if caught out on an open section of road to find somewhere to park it until things calm down :bulb:

Bailing out is a Hollywood thing, bouncing down the road at 56mph is going to hurt…a lot, that’s if you don’t run yourself over first, that’ll hurt even more I suspect :laughing:

Thamesport had a weather warning up at dinner today saying there’ll be delays tomorrow and friday…

Felix has already stopped lifting for odd hours here and there this week, no idea what the situation there is at the moment though.

Luckily, if they’re not lifting, I’m not driving, makes my decision for me :slight_smile:

think its time to give up when your looking to your right and all you see is the sky

gogzy:
think its time to give up when your looking to your right and all you see is the sky

why the right, if you flip over on the right all you,ll see is tarmac or mud. what a nob

browncow2:

gogzy:

why the right, if you flip over on the right all you,ll see is tarmac or mud. what a nob

sorry yea i forgot the drivers side is the butter side which is always the way if falls even if the wind is blowing against the drivers side.

laws of physics and all…nob

waynedl:
Thamesport had a weather warning up at dinner today saying there’ll be delays tomorrow and friday…

Felix has already stopped lifting for odd hours here and there this week, no idea what the situation there is at the moment though.

Luckily, if they’re not lifting, I’m not driving, makes my decision for me :slight_smile:

Looks like your staying at home :cry: portoffelixstowe.co.uk/alert … x?pid=1094

jimmi:

darkseeker:
defo stop before its laid on its side waiting for its belly stroking :laughing: :laughing:

you or the lorry? :laughing:

One windy day a couple of years ago I overheard the TM telling a clerk to use agency drivers on the high risk runs so if one went over they wouldn’t have to pay sick pay :open_mouth:

LASHHGV:
One windy day a couple of years ago I overheard the TM telling a clerk to use agency drivers on the high risk runs so if one went over they wouldn’t have to pay sick pay :open_mouth:

That is frigin nasty!!

Don’t go over 50

44 Tonne Ton:
Don’t go over 50

Never been able to get my head round this, how does going slower make you less likely to be blown over? Obviously the slower you’re going the better if you do end up going over though.

Its no fun driving a lightly loaded curtainsided doubledeck trailer in heavy wind :open_mouth: