Breen and nolan! have they smartned up lately?

Have these two smartened up their acts after all the controversy in the past… i think they have both had a wrap on the knuckles lately so just wondering if anyone knows what they are like now, pay conditions etc?.. 3 1/2 years class 2 experince but passed class1 last week so in the old catch 22 of no artic experience when trying to get a start somewhere, as these two both have operating centres near me im considering going to see them and hopefully get some much needed experience behind the wheel of a bigun… cheers…

I wouldn’t work for Nolans again if they we’re the last company on earth. But yes the bigger Irish companies have had no choice but to sort themselves out.

Wether or not Breens have sorted their act out i’ve no idea but looking at the tv documentary on them there is a definite attitude/culture with them that should set alarm bells ringing. If you can handle the prospect of an ulcer or a fine i’d go for it !!!

Mike you’ve hit the nail on the head there. Even if they are running legal I’ve no interest in ever again working for a company that talks to me like I’m something they just trod on, which is certainly the case with Nolans.

switchlogic:
Mike you’ve hit the nail on the head there. Even if they are running legal I’ve no interest in ever again working for a company that talks to me like I’m something they just trod on, which is certainly the case with Nolans.

I’m guessing that when they where missing a good few months of tachos from drivers and they blamed drivers for not returning them that the drivers maybe did not want to go near the office !! :smiley: I think frankly the idea mooted about by some that Nolans binned all the tachos is ludicrous .

Mike-C:

switchlogic:

I’m guessing that when they where missing a good few months of tachos from drivers and they blamed drivers for not returning them that the drivers maybe did not want to go near the office !! :smiley: I think frankly the idea mooted about by some that Nolans binned all the tachos is ludicrous .

Mike when i got back after my first trip for nolans i gave the office girl all my receipts and cmr’s and offered her my tachos and she asked me what i expected her to do with them :open_mouth:
i said don’t you keep them for a year like in the uk she said no just ask one of the other blokes see what they do and the answers were wild and various :open_mouth:
that was back in 2000 though so they should have got better by now but i agree with switchlogic if they were the last haulier in the world i wouldn’t go back seeing as i don’t speak the language they use now :wink: :wink: and the pay they offer is crap unless you are used to earning roubles or whatever they use

I worked for Breens for a short while early last year - the basic rule was no card (digi) to be used in Ireland and only put it in when you get on the ferry - even then dont take too much, if any notice of the hours anyway. Just keep going.

On my last trip for them, I left Manchester for Dublin and Galway, tipped, then on to Limerick to load, then straight back over to the UK and channel tunnel and tipped south of Paris. I was then expected to load at Charles De Gaulle that night and tip Manchester airport the following day.

I worked for Nolans briefly myself a few years ago and i’d never work for them again, same as others have already stated they never wanted any cards off me and the runs they wanted done were a joke in the lorries they had at the time, loads better firms to work for in Ireland i think myself and Carna had loads better kit and were better in general to work for when i worked for them dont know much about Breen though

Mike-C:
I think frankly the idea mooted about by some that Nolans binned all the tachos is ludicrous .

you might be right mike but stranger things have happened - an old boss of mine got his wife to burn loads down the garden and then claim she didn’t know what they were 'cos she was from the Caribbean :laughing: