Breda Transport

Whatever happened to them??

I think Maes took them over.

KW:
I think Maes took them over.

Ah, that explains that, they came up in conversation the other day and no one seemed to know where they had disappeared to.

This marvelous company has got bankroupt, and most of activities have been taken over by Maes Belgium, the highest competitor of Breda Transport Group !

I was the french office manager from 1993 and 1995, and operated mostly to marocco, Tunisia, and I was proud to open routes to Moscow, Belarus, Ukraine,Poland and Romania !
Most of cargo was hanging garments, and its row materials, in groupage or full loads.

I can say It was as excited than the run to Middle East by the 80’s !!!

I have to find pics that I should post here ; then, if you have pics of the red Breda Trucks, you’re welcome !!

Hervé, from France

So you remember Alain Une then Herve? Casa to Moscow regular. :smiley:

I came across these photos today of a few Breda Transport trucks from around 1996, I was working as a mechanic at the time for Walkers Transport in Leeds and I usually ended up loading these with groupage when they came in.

I remember this driver was a Dutchman called Peter who was always up for a laugh

This to me looked like a proper Dutchman Daf and if I remember correctly was driven by an English lad called Mike from Essex area

The Merc was a proper bit of kit , it was like a tilt at one side, a curtainsider at the other, it had demountable bodies and had doors in front of the trailers too

A mate of mine used to drive for Breda, his name was Keith Payne who formerly drove for Swifts Meats from Stourport on Severn , anyone remember him ? He used to run to Morroco .Last time I saw him we had dinner together in “The Flags” restaurant just past top of Somo Sierra on N1 southbound towards Madrid .

Another one or two

Laurie Dryver:
A mate of mine used to drive for Breda, his name was Keith Payne who formerly drove for Swifts Meats from Stourport on Severn , anyone remember him ? He used to run to Morroco .Last time I saw him we had dinner together in “The Flags” restaurant just past top of Somo Sierra on N1 southbound towards Madrid .

Keith married a Maroc girl & set up home in Kent. Breda fired him ( He had a Michael Douglas prob with the maroc factory girls) after complaints from customers.
There is a red merc caravan above,Keith had an identical one.
The sad news is that Keith perished in a truck accident fire near Birkenhead, so I was told.
Keith was a one off. RIP.

harry:

Laurie Dryver:

Keith married a Maroc girl & set up home in Kent. Breda fired him ( He had a Michael Douglas prob with the maroc factory girls) after complaints from customers.
There is a red merc caravan above,Keith had an identical one.
The sad news is that Keith perished in a truck accident fire near Birkenhead, so I was told.
Keith was a one off. RIP.

Hi Harry, thanks for that info that is indeed sad news . Thanks for getting back with it! How is sunny Boceguillas? Spent or should say mis-spent many a happy hour there in “Fernando’s” was it? Best Regards

Los Hermanos… The Brothers.They had a parrot called Jonhhy. I don’t live there but thats where I should like to wake up every morning. Poor old Keith had a punch up on the car park there with Bernie. Round the back of the trailer job.

harry:
Los Hermanos… The Brothers.They had a parrot called Jonhhy. I don’t live there but thats where I should like to wake up every morning. Poor old Keith had a punch up on the car park there with Bernie. Round the back of the trailer job.

Do you have any more info on the unfortunate accident which led to Keith’s demise as in When? He and I have mutual friends from years back and they will be shocked at the news! We cemented friendships back then and it’s so sad that we lose touch because of the nature of the job!

Sorry, I was at a UK-Maroc drivers reunion in Derby at least four years ago when I heard. When he got fired from Breda he invited me & another driver to his new house for a cup of tea. His wife wasn’t there but looking around you could see he was up to his neck in mortgage & hock. Everything was new,house furniture,(wife) kitchen stuff,I felt sorry for him.I don’t know whether he had been drinking but down in Maroc he just went round this factory grabbing at all the girls working the machines…so I was told.

I heard about Keiths accident 19 March, 2010. & it was a recent event.

Please note that I have initiated a new thread called North Africa work, which includes a large number of Breda Transport pictures from when I worked for them. Robert