Breaks!

Hello people I am after advice not criticism before we go any further! :slight_smile:! I was stuck in a traffic jam today with 4.10 hours driving done on the tacho I was stopping and starting and as I am fairly new to the digi card (been using analogues) didnā€™t realise but mine adds about 2 mins everytime I pull off! (Is this just meā– ā– ?) by the time I had found a layby on the A51 -A49 I was over my 4.5 hrs by 16 mins! Is there anything I can do to say what has happened as it wasnā€™t intentional!? Would appreciate your help please! :slight_smile:!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.208666,-2.739230

Do a prinout with reasons for the infringement and keep it. If VOSA ask be polite and show it to them.

Terry T:
Do a prinout with reasons for the infringement and keep it. If VOSA ask be polite and show it to them.

^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^

Sometimes ā– ā– ā–  happens, as has been said just do a printout, write the reason on the back. Despite the horror stories VOSA are actually human and realise things like this happen.

Thanks for ur advice! I tried googling it but nothing came up! With analogue cards I knew you could write on the back of them but unsure weather a printout would have the same effect with VOSA!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.208311,-2.737295

While the advice to take a printout and make a written entry giving the reason(s) for the infringement are correct, it is unfortunately too late now. The printout (and written entry) must be made on reaching the safe stopping place.

As for the tacho appearing to add extra driving time with each stop/restart - yes, they do:
As each minute clicks over, if the wheels have turned at all in that minute, then the whole minute is recorded as ā€œdriving timeā€. In addition, if the first and third minute in any block of three consecutive minutes are marked as ā€œdrivingā€ under the above rule then the second minute will ALSO be recorded as ā€œdriving timeā€.
Thus, if you come to a halt at 5 seconds past 4:00 and then move off again 5 seconds before 4:03 on the clock, the unit will record all three minutes as ā€œdriving timeā€ and will give the appearance of having added 2 or 3 minutes.

Well thatā€™s my understanding at any rate - and I think the latest digi tachos donā€™t do it quite the same.

I understand what youā€™re saying about when to do the printout Raymondo, but Iā€™m certain that if the op did one for the ā€˜offenceā€™ next time his card is in then thereā€™d be no problem. All he has to say if stopped is that he was unsure, took advice re printouts and did one asap. They are 'uman after all.

Roymondo:
While the advice to take a printout and make a written entry giving the reason(s) for the infringement are correct, it is unfortunately too late now. The printout (and written entry) must be made on reaching the safe stopping place.

As for the tacho appearing to add extra driving time with each stop/restart - yes, they do:
As each minute clicks over, if the wheels have turned at all in that minute, then the whole minute is recorded as ā€œdriving timeā€. In addition, if the first and third minute in any block of three consecutive minutes are marked as ā€œdrivingā€ under the above rule then the second minute will ALSO be recorded as ā€œdriving timeā€.
Thus, if you come to a halt at 5 seconds past 4:00 and then move off again 5 seconds before 4:03 on the clock, the unit will record all three minutes as ā€œdriving timeā€ and will give the appearance of having added 2 or 3 minutes.

Well thatā€™s my understanding at any rate - and I think the latest digi tachos donā€™t do it quite the same.

You got it right Raymondo, for the first generation digiā€™s anyway, the newer ones are a lot better.
Iā€™m in a Scania at the moment ,Stoneridge digi, they go onto crossed hammers as soon as you stop and you can actually move very slowly about ten yards and it stays on them.
Makes a hell of a difference to your driving time.
Jim

I did a printout at time of stopping and at the end of the day I have written on the back of the first one why and stapled it to my en of day one! ( i asked this question while on break) lol! Thanks for your help! Nice to see that there are helpful people on here and not all bitchy!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.100485,-3.004759

Donā€™t hand the printout with the explanation to the traffic office - keep it with you. FOREVER!!! :smiling_imp:

I always do 2 printouts at the same time in this situation, 1 for me to keep and one to hand in

trucken:
I always do 2 printouts at the same time in this situation, 1 for me to keep and one to hand in

No need, the card stores all the info & you can print out if and whenever you need to.

trucken:

+1

The reason for this is youā€™re supposed to hand your print out / explanation into traffic office after 28 days, but itā€™s too much of a pain in the harris to remember, so I just do 2, hand 1 in, keep other, then bin it if / when I remember

Born Idle:

trucken:

No need, the card stores all the info & you can print out if and whenever you need to.

This must be a new type of card that scans in your written explanation of the circumstances surrounding your unplanned infringement?

The Sarge:
Donā€™t hand the printout with the explanation to the traffic office - keep it with you. FOREVER!!! :smiling_imp:

28 days, then bin it.