breaks

Hi I would just like some clarification

When taking split breaks I was under the impression that your first break could be anything over 15 mins and your second a minimum of 30 mins.

today I was told that your first break had to be exactly 15 mins or you would get done on a vosa check I was told this by someone who has been driving for years)

The other query I have is I was double manning today and after I had driven for 4 hours we took a 15 min break and then the other person started driving, when we got back to the yard the person I was double manning with called it a day and I decided to do one last job as I still had driving time left.

Before I went back out and while changing the cards over I got told mine had to be downloaded then as the office staff wouldnt be there when I got back. once downloaded I got told that I had an infringment for today as I had only taken a 15 min break but the guy I was with said they were wrong as although I had only had 15 mins I had only driven for 4 hours and then he had taken over and I had been in the passenger seat doing nothing.

Who is right on this and should I have taken a longer break before he started driving?

Thanks

Mark

logic:
When taking split breaks I was under the impression that your first break could be anything over 15 mins and your second a minimum of 30 mins.today I was told that your first break had to be exactly 15 mins or you would get done on a vosa check I was told this by someone who has been driving for years)

That driver needs some retraining !!

First break at least 15 mins but if 45 mins or more then the driving time resets to another 4.5 hours if the driver has that amount left
Second break at least 30 mins

logic:
The other query I have is I was double manning today and after I had driven for 4 hours we took a 15 min break and then the other person started driving, when we got back to the yard the person I was double manning with called it a day and I decided to do one last job as I still had driving time left.

Before I went back out and while changing the cards over I got told mine had to be downloaded then as the office staff wouldnt be there when I got back. once downloaded I got told that I had an infringment for today as I had only taken a 15 min break but the guy I was with said they were wrong as although I had only had 15 mins I had only driven for 4 hours and then he had taken over and I had been in the passenger seat doing nothing.Who is right on this and should I have taken a longer break before he started driving?

To come under multi manning rules BOTH driver MUST reamain together with the exception being the first hour

You failed to come under the multi manning rules as you did not stay together all the time after the first hour - you went off on your own for some other driving as you had driving time left

Had the other driver stayed with you on the second run then that would be different

This means that putting your card in slot 2 and recording POA will not allow that POA to be counted as break because that is only allowed under multi manning rules

The only break recorded by you was under single driver rules and that was for 15 mins if I read your post correctly

All the rules explained here

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71511

logic:
Hi I would just like some clarification

When taking split breaks I was under the impression that your first break could be anything over 15 mins and your second a minimum of 30 mins.

today I was told that your first break had to be exactly 15 mins or you would get done on a vosa check I was told this by someone who has been driving for years)

No that’s rubbish, if you have between 15 and 44 minutes beak after doing some driving it will count as the first part of a split break, as you know the second part must be at-least 30 minutes.

logic:

Before I went back out and while changing the cards over I got told mine had to be downloaded then as the office staff wouldnt be there when I got back. once downloaded I got told that I had an infringment for today as I had only taken a 15 min break but the guy I was with said they were wrong as although I had only had 15 mins I had only driven for 4 hours and then he had taken over and I had been in the passenger seat doing nothing.

Did they say what the infringement was for ?

If you’d only done 4 hours driving it couldn’t have been for not having the correct driving break.

Did you at any-time during the shift work more than 6 hours without a break ?

"today I was told that your first break had to be exactly 15 mins or you would get done on a vosa check I was told this by someone who has been driving for year "

Most probably the same person who said he doesn’t need to do a DCPC because he knows everything there is about driving!

I would say that your total drive and work was more than 6 hours and therefore you would have needed a 15 minutes more of break before. The shift ended or before you download your card