Breaks

Fed up with drivers at work going on about the breaks that is needed to be taken. I am under the under standing that the breaks needed are as follows:

4.30 hours driving 45min break which can be split in two by a 15min break then the second must be 30min.

Getting told by other drivers that u can only have 1 15min break in the day then all others must be 30mins. I am sure that you can split a second driving period of 4.30 in two aswell as the first ie 15min break then 30min again.

Am I right in what I am saying. I think so.

Yes your correct.
Either one 45 min break in a 4.30 period or a 15 min followed by a 30 min NOT a 30 min followed by a 15 min.
Then it is exactly the same for you next 4.30 session

I agree 100% with what busby06 said.

Correct but if youe on WTD and have exceeded 4,30hris driving but say for example you have done only 3hrs driving and 3 hrs of other work or poa then you must take a 30mins or more but if you have take a 15min before youe 6hrs then you will be in another 4.40mins drive time

Thank you, Thought that I was right. I know that you do need to have a 30min under the wtd but I am sure you can have 15min breaks allday long aslong as you don’t reach your 4.30 drive time. He was going on about a driver that came in to Berwick yesterday that had been done for having a 30 min break followed by a 15 which WOULD be wrong. But he said that the driver was not at his 4.30 and that the charge was because he had taken a 15 min break which I think is a lot of Sh***.

K.Adams:
Correct but if youe on WTD and have exceeded 4,30hris driving but say for example you have done only 3hrs driving and 3 hrs of other work or poa then you must take a 30mins or more…

Couple of problems with that.

First, if a driver does 3 hours driving and 3 hours other work then a break would be required for the WTD but not if if was 3 hours driving and 3 hours POA, or 3 hours driving and 3 hours of work and POA. POA does not count toward working time for the WTD.

Second, the break required for the WTD would only be 15 minutes at the 6 hour point, not 30 minutes. It is 30 minutes total for 6 - 9 hours work which can be split into 2x15 minutes.

Rscos1:
I know that you do need to have a 30min under the wtd

30 minutes for 6-9 hours work, 45 minutes for more than 9 hours work.

You can take 15 minutes for the WTD before exceeding 6 hours and the remainder can be taken later in the shift. The two sets of regulations work together in this way, which they wouldn’t if you had to take 30 for the WTD when you only required 15 for the EU regs.

Thank you but I know the other driver is just unaware of the driving hours and breaks.

I dont work under wtd anymore as i work for a Irish haulier but I know the 15min break after 6hrs if you take a break of 15min before your 6hr then another 15min at the 6th hr on clock watcher comes up as a infringement.

I bit on a different side digi tacho’s dont tell you WTD but they as so dont tell you that your breaking the law if you have say 30mins and then 20mins sometime later. although we all know thats ilegal to some untrianed or newbie driver this could catch them out as after 45mins of break it starts itself on another 4.30 drive time

To be honest I havent had any offical digi card training but i have read the manual and can figure out with common sense.
My previous employer didnt really have a clue about drivers hours so if I had any issues Id phone tachodisc,RHA or the FTA.

Sorry coffeeholic I shouldnt of put poa

Thats why some drivers clock up over 70hrs pwk thanks to good old poa :wink: :wink:

K.Adams:
I dont work under wtd anymore as i work for a Irish haulier

I thought they were in the EU - same as rest of UK - same RTD(WTD) regs :exclamation:

thats what my boss tells me anyway? :open_mouth:

that was 1 of the questions i asked at my interview :slight_smile:

iam not that bothered cause most of my runs i alwyts have a break before 4hrs :smiley:

K.Adams:
thats what my boss tells me anyway?

That smells like [ZB]

K.Adams:
iam not that bothered cause most of my runs i alwyts have a break before 4hrs

no prob then :smiley:

ROG:

K.Adams:

I thought they were in the EU - same as rest of UK - same RTD(WTD) regs :exclamation:

’ - same as rest of UK - '? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Ireland isn’t in the UK ROG.

Regardless of where it is located though, like most of the EU member states Ireland really isn’t bothering with the RTD/WTD

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

K.Adams:

’ - same as rest of UK - '? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Ireland isn’t in the UK ROG.

“Irish” could of course still refer to Northern Ireland though :slight_smile:

Coffeeholic:

I’ve forwarded your comment to Mr Paisley.

He wasn’t happy :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

tachograph:

Coffeeholic:

I’ve forwarded your comment to Mr Paisley.

Ireland isn’t in the UK, Northern Ireland is, and I’m sure Mr Paisley would be very happy with the acknowledgement that Ireland is not part of the UK.

ROG:

K.Adams:

OK, I should have said - I thought they were in the EU - same as the UK :blush:

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

Ireland isn’t in the UK, Northern Ireland is, and I’m sure Mr Paisley would be very happy with the acknowledgement that Ireland is not part of the UK.

STOP SHOUTING :stuck_out_tongue: