breaks

simple enough Q but its causing a row where i work
drive 2 1/4 hours
1/2 hour break
drive 2 hrs 10 mins

can you take a 1/2 hour break or do you need to take a 45 min( cos when other drivers did that they got an infringment athought they had 1 hr total before 4 1/2 driving time up )then drive 4 1/2 hours or do you need a 1/4 break again

taking another 1/2 hour break seems the way to go for me fella

Thetaff:
taking another 1/2 hour break seems the way to go for me fella

thats my argument as well :smiley:

the law states you must take a minimum 45 min break within your first 4 1/2 drive time this can be split in two but the last part must be at least 1/2 hr.
so taking two 1/2hr breaks should be no problem at all. well thats my opion but someone will probably prove me wrong :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if your getting an infringement after taking 2 half hour breaks after a 4hr 25min drive then your company needs to get them checked elsewhere cos whoever is doing them now is a muppet :laughing: :laughing:

gezt:
or do you need a 1/4 break again

You cant have a 15 after it the 15 needs to be the first part of a split break.

I.E. 15 then 30.

yep thats right

the infringements may be they are not taking exactly 30 mins ie 28/29 mins which yes would be an infringement i got this highlighted to myself previosly so now i make sure i go over the 15 minute break normally bout 20 mins and 35 for a thirty this way there is no way you can get an infringemant against you

the infringements may be they are not taking exactly 30 mins ie 28/29 mins which yes would be an infringement i got this highlighted to myself previosly so now i make sure i go over the 15 minute break normally bout 20 mins and 35 for a thirty this way there is no way you can get an infringement against you

Hmm yes breaks Last company I worked for had that clock watcher thingy well 1 tacho came up 8 hrs and 58mins break but what they didnt check was the 2nd tacho it was on break for 15mins after I had put it in. To me common sense will tell you total time take is 9hrs and 13mins. Mind you thats what you get for a 14yr old operating the clock watcher yes 14yr old.

So half of the breaks I took was 14mins long or 44mins well I knew was a load of bollox as I use the countdown timer on my phone. 50min everytime for a 45min break. funny thing was I got stopped by VOSA and the fella said straight away that I took my breaks well. Why not if you got paid for them :smiley:

sorted now, seems we had the same 14 year old working for us k.adams :frowning:
thanks for replies guys

K.Adams:
Hmm yes breaks Last company I worked for had that clock watcher thingy well 1 tacho came up 8 hrs and 58mins break but what they didnt check was the 2nd tacho it was on break for 15mins after I had put it in. To me common sense will tell you total time take is 9hrs and 13mins. Mind you thats what you get for a 14yr old operating the clock watcher yes 14yr old.

Common sense will tell me that I agree with you. However if you were to get on the wrong side of an over zealous enforcement officer the argument could be that you are indeed working when you are writing out and inserting the tachograph chart into the head. Therefore interrupting the daily rest 2 mins short of the required 9 hours. :wink:

I never EVER have a 15 or 30 minute break.

I have a 17 and a 32.

It covers the lost seconds either side of the 1st and last minute of a break.

jammymutt:
I never EVER have a 15 or 30 minute break.
I have a 17 and a 32.
It covers the lost seconds either side of the 1st and last minute of a break.

Top advice…

southwalestramper:
the infringements may be they are not taking exactly 30 mins ie 28/29 mins which yes would be an infringement i got this highlighted to myself previosly so now i make sure i go over the 15 minute break normally bout 20 mins and 35 for a thirty this way there is no way you can get an infringement against you

:sunglasses: Same here. Company policy is a 15 = 20, a 30 = 35, a 45 = 50. Stop at 4.15 driving max ( if practical ) and Min daily rests are 9.15 for a 9 and 11.15 for an 11. Don`t get any infringements that way… :smiley:

This ■■■■■■ who gives you the infingement.
Tell him that you’re the driver, It’s you’re licence, He should stop getting involved in what is your business and not his.
Then poke him in the eye.

Works for me. :wink: :laughing:

limeyphil:
This ■■■■■■ who gives you the infingement.
Tell him that you’re the driver, It’s you’re licence, He should stop getting involved in what is your business and not his.

It is the tossers business, the ■■■■■■ is employed to check tacho’s for infringements.
Unfortunately, the ■■■■■■ doesn’t know what he’s doing.
Presumably the ■■■■■■ is using a poor computer programme.

limeyphil:
Then poke him in the eye.

Works for me. :wink: :laughing:

It works for me too. :laughing: :laughing:

hi guys, newbie so this may sound silly but here goes,

i start at 6am, so my 4.30hr of driving or other work will be 10.30, so i can either drive and do other work from 6am till 10.30am then take a 45 min break, and then carry on the rest of the day until i go home without a break.

or

i start at 6am, but before i get to 10.30am i have taken a 15 min break, and a 30 min break in the time between 6am and 10.30am and then im fine for the day break wise yeh?

Robin_A:
hi guys, newbie so this may sound silly but here goes,

i start at 6am, so my 4.30hr of driving or other work will be 10.30, so i can either drive and do other work from 6am till 10.30am then take a 45 min break, and then carry on the rest of the day until i go home without a break.

First thing as far as the tacho rules are concerned, and ignoring the WTD for now, is breaks interupt periods of driving. There is no requirement to take breaks for other work under the tacho rules. In trhe above scenario you can only work for the rest of the day without the need for another break as long as you do not accumulate another 4.5 hours driving and still have driving to do.

Robin_A:
or

i start at 6am, but before i get to 10.30am i have taken a 15 min break, and a 30 min break in the time between 6am and 10.30am and then im fine for the day break wise yeh?

That break pattern is fine but whether you need another break before the end of the day will depend on amount of driving you will do.

Factoring in the WTD may require an extra break here or there but I would concentrate on learning the tacho rules before you worry about the WTD, sticking to the tacho rules will keep you within the WTD rules most of, if not all of, the time.

thank you