Breaks on loading bay

Do you take breaks on a loading bay? Is it right to expect drivers to take a break on a loading bay when they dont know how long they are going to be on there for?

Lusk:
Do you take breaks on a loading bay? Is it right to expect drivers to take a break on a loading bay when they dont know how long they are going to be on there for?

Yes I do, if you know you’re likely to be waiting 15/30/45 minutes or more I don’t see a problem.

Agreed. But what if you dont know how long you are going to be on there for? A break should be a break which allows for you to relax and not wonder if you are going to get shoved off.

Lusk:
Agreed. But what if you dont know how long you are going to be on there for? A break should be a break which allows for you to relax and not wonder if you are going to get shoved off.

There’s no requirement to know how long you’ll be there to be able to book a break. I will always do what suits me on that particular day.

Lusk:

Relax and then if you get a knock to move stop relaxing

Im sat on a bay in thurrock now… and im on a break. I know it will take them 30 mins to tip me, then its their lunchbreak so il get in the extra 15 I need to make it a 45.

Ive wandered to the kahzee, had some lunch and a coffee now im fiddling with my phone on here, so therefore im spending my time as I wish on a break.

The law states that a break is

any period of time that the driver can freely dispose of his or her time

The way I interpret that is that if I am not unloading or loading the stuff and I can sleep, read the paper or just scratch my nuts, then I’m on a break :laughing:

manic-merc:
The law states that a break is

any period of time that the driver can freely dispose of his or her time

Its says that for REST so please link to where it says that for BREAK ?

Id do it if I was allowed to sit in the cab & the situation suited me but generally no.

I think it’s okay to do it of you are not tired but if you are tired and have dozed off, it is sods law that you will get woken up by somebody demanding you move there and then. I’ve known it at some depots where they forbid you to take a break on the bay.

If I know I can sit there for 15/30/45 without possibly causing anybody else inconvenience, then yes.

This topic seems to be about RDC’s but I’ll add that drivers recording breaks at fuel pumps & loading bays at shops etc. just so they can get finished earlier, whilst anybody who shows up behind them has to wait whilst they fanny about really grinds my gears :imp:

• tim

Lusk:
I think it’s okay to do it of you are not tired but if you are tired and have dozed off, it is sods law that you will get woken up by somebody demanding you move there and then. I’ve known it at some depots where they forbid you to take a break on the bay.

How can they stop you putting it on break? Fair enough wanting you to move once tipped

Why are some people saying they’ll pop it on break if they know it’s going to take 15/30/45 mins? If you have to interrupt the break after say 13 mins to move, so what? We know that it can’t legally count as a break, but it’s 13 minutes off your daily working time.

I’m actually sat at Iceland Warrington now. I backed in front of the bay, popped it on other work, took my paperwork in, returned to truck put it on break whilst waiting to be told to open the doors and back on. I’ve had 57 mins break as I type, and once I’m backed onto the bay I’ll put it back on break as I wait in the canteen for it to be tipped.

rob22888:
If I know I can sit there for 15/30/45 without possibly causing anybody else inconvenience, then yes.

This topic seems to be about RDC’s but I’ll add that drivers recording breaks at fuel pumps & loading bays at shops etc. just so they can get finished earlier, whilst anybody who shows up behind them has to wait whilst they fanny about really grinds my gears :imp:

• tim

what really winds me up is when I’m grabbing a 15 on a fuel pump and another driver expects me to move :wink:

If Im nearly upto a 3 hour rest on a bay then its off to the toilet to hide :sunglasses:

REST and BREAK, semantics. Same thing in my book. I don’t need to be horizontal to rest. Same as at weekends, probably a bit of a rebel here, but I don’t spend my weekend break/rest horizontal either :astonished: shock horror! :wink:

Does it really matter? If you are happy to do it and it suits you, crack on. But I don’t agree with drivers putting their tacho onto break when actually physically tipping or loading it themselves, that is work and should be shown as work on the tacho.

I will let you all into a little secret, shh don’t tell but, common sense is allowed :blush:

stevieboy308:

Lusk:

How can they stop you putting it on break? Fair enough wanting you to move once tipped

In practise, they cant - it’s just what they’ve printed in black and white.

the maoster:
Why are some people saying they’ll pop it on break if they know it’s going to take 15/30/45 mins? If you have to interrupt the break after say 13 mins to move, so what? We know that it can’t legally count as a break, but it’s 13 minutes off your daily working time.

I’m actually sat at Iceland Warrington now. I backed in front of the bay, popped it on other work, took my paperwork in, returned to truck put it on break whilst waiting to be told to open the doors and back on. I’ve had 57 mins break as I type, and once I’m backed onto the bay I’ll put it back on break as I wait in the canteen for it to be tipped.

Are they still very slow up there?

The lorry has a break when ever it’s stopped. I take my breaks when ever I want. We got a good understanding with each other.

the maoster:

Possibly because we know from past experience that some people will say how can you use the break time “exclusively for recuperation” if you don’t know when you’ll be interrupted :wink:

In reality, if it suits me I’ll put the tachograph on break whenever I’m doing nothing, be it five minutes or five hours, and regardless of whether or not I’m likely to have to move, it makes no difference.

manic-merc:
REST and BREAK, semantics. Same thing in my book. I don’t need to be horizontal to rest. Same as at weekends, probably a bit of a rebel here, but I don’t spend my weekend break/rest horizontal either :astonished: shock horror! :wink:

Does it really matter? If you are happy to do it and it suits you, crack on. But I don’t agree with drivers putting their tacho onto break when actually physically tipping or loading it themselves, that is work and should be shown as work on the tacho.

I will let you all into a little secret, shh don’t tell but, common sense is NOT allowed :blush:

FTFY :grimacing: :grimacing:

There was once a time when the actual driving of the truck was the main part of the job. I wish we could wind the clock back to days gone by when drivers didn’t put so much importance, thought and worry in to what bloody mode to put the tacho on while sitting on a bay. It wouldn’t be a bad job if it wasn’t bogged down with so much surplus regulation and bureaucracy that issues such as this arise and are the constant source of arguments and squabbling over such a non-issue.