Break/rest question

got talked at by another driver :frowning: :confused: at a drop yesturday who was insisting that the rest rules had changed and if your digi registered 45 mins your driving time was reset even if it wasn’t what you as the driver wanted . hope you understand what i’m on about as i’ve been ignoring my tacho and using a bit of paper but still having legal ( i thought ) times

? not a new rule is it? After a 45 minute break you then have another 4.5 driving time before another rest needed.

streaky:
? not a new rule is it? After a 45 minute break you then have another 4.5 driving time before another rest needed.

that’s what I thought too !

I think you still have to take a complete 45min or split the break between a minimum 15min and a minimum 30 min.

The breaks must be in this order,30 min break must come second.

If you don’t want the 4.5 hour driving time reset then don’t take 45 minutes of break, that’s the only way.

It’s not a new rule, and it’s not exclusive to digi tachos either, it’s been that way since a court case over 20 years ago.

bagpuss:
got talked at by another driver :frowning: :confused: at a drop yesturday who was insisting that the rest rules had changed and if your digi registered 45 mins your driving time was reset even if it wasn’t what you as the driver wanted . hope you understand what i’m on about as i’ve been ignoring my tacho and using a bit of paper but still having legal ( i thought ) times

It sound like it could be a good idea to try to avoid any spot checks for a while mate :wink:

But I have to say that if you’ve been ignoring the fact that the tachograph has reset your driving time after a 45 minute break either your company are not monitoring your driving records properly or you’ve been incredibly lucky to stay legal :open_mouth:

By the way it’s not just on digital tachographs, once you’ve had a break/breaks totalling 45 minutes your driving time is reset regardless of what type of tachograph you are using.

I think bagpuss needs to clarify what he’s on about. 45 real minutes of break/rest resetting the driving time which is the law OR a digital tachograph adding up break time/POA worth 45 minutes and resetting the driving time clock. :question: