Break question

Hi guys I finally decided to move into HGV driving after having my license for a few years.

I have a job at a tool hire company where we dont usually drive more than 3-4 hours in a 9 hour shift. What sort of breaks should I be taking on this? I thought it was 30 mins to satisfy the WTD but the guy they put me with seem to think it’s 45?

Thanks, Alex

30 mins for WT
But I would take 15mins in the morning and then have half hour lunch then the driving is rest just in case as 30mins driving time could so disappear in traffic

Thanks, it make sense to do 45 to cover myself if I do over 4.5 hours driving or run over the 9 hour shift time.

alex17595:
Thanks, it make sense to do 45 to cover myself if I do over 4.5 hours driving or run over the 9 hour shift time.

The 9 hour rule is about working time not shift length.

For example, you only need a 30 minute break if your shift length is 9 hours 30 minutes. This is because you would only be working for 9 hours in such a scenario.

However, work 9 hours and 1 minute and you need 45 minute break in total before the end of your shift.

You can’t start or finish your shift on a break.

For WTD, each break has to be at least 15 minutes. However, I would usually do a 15+30 or 45 to reset the driving time clock.

Also remember the 6 hole rule. You can’t work more than 6 hours without at least a 15 minute break.

Working Time Directive WTD is to do with working time. If it was to do with shift length, it would be called Shift Length Directive and it isn’t.

Thanks, they don’t pay me for it so I’m having 45 mins anyway.

Do I need to a manual entry for daily rest? Or does the time the card is out of the machine could as daily rest?

The card stays in one truck for the whole shift.

If you’re only driving 3 hours no break is required? You can drive continuously for up to 4.5 hours. The only break you might need is to satisfy the WTD if you hit 6 hours of total work with no break.

carlston49:
[.

Also remember the 6 hole rule. You can’t work more than 6 hours without at least a 15 minute break.

I think it’s 30 mins break required in 6 hrs.

alex17595:

Do I need to a manual entry for daily rest? Or does the time the card is out of the machine could as daily rest?

The tacho can record rest if you press the right buttons.

stu675:

carlston49:
[.

You need a break of at-least 15 minutes for the six hour rule.

You need a total of 30 minutes break/breaks if the working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours, these breaks can be taken if 15 minute segments if you wish to do so but you must have a break of at-least 15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours working time.

stu675:

carlston49:
[.

15 mins not 30 in law but some companies have their own policies

alex17595:

The time your driver card is out of the tachograph between shifts is regarded as rest, however when you put your driver card in if you need to do a manual entry for the end of the last shift you’ll end up manually recording the rest period anyway, well that is unless the tachograph is quite old.

If you’re the only one driving the vehicle you can leave your driver card in the tachograph and put it on rest, personally I’ve always preferred to take my card out at the end of the shift but at the end of the day it’s your choice.

edit: Only leave your driver card in the tachograph during your daily/weekly rest periods if you can be absolutely certain that no-one is going to move the vehicle :wink:

Of course always take a total of 45 minutes if being deducted 45 minutes.

Being super-geeky - what data is actually recorded on the card? Anyone know?

When you eject the card does it record “rest” and the time, as part of some kind of running record?

TruckerGuy:

When you eject the card does it record “rest” and the time, as part of some kind of running record?

As little as possible, is the answer.
It can record at least 28 days of activity, but if you don’t have a lot of activity ( not a full time driver) it will store months or years of data.
There’s obviously no running record if you eject your card [emoji57]

TruckerGuy:

The drivers name and driver card number, All the drivers activities such as breaks, driving time, POA, any manual entries you do to cover activities you do when the card is not inserted into a tachograph.

Remember though that everything that’s recorded on your driver card is also recorded in the tachograph head, and much more.

20 mins for work over 6 hrs according to gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

stu675:

That is for the normal WTD not the drivers WTD (RTD)

stu675:

As ROG said HGV drivers do not work to those WTD rules, drivers work to The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005.

The “Breaks” section does not stipulate how much break you must have before exceeding 6 hours working time it just says you must have a break, as the shortest break that will count for the RT(WT)R is 15 minutes it’s assumed that you must have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time.

tachograph:

stu675:

As ROG said HGV drivers do not work to those WTD rules, drivers work to The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005.

The “Breaks” section does not stipulate how much break you must have before exceeding 6 hours working time it just says you must have a break, as the shortest break that will count for the RT(WT)R is 15 minutes it’s assumed that you must have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time.

Great! Thanks both.