Break on a bay

Interesting little scene in a canteen just now, one driver insisting that it’s illegal to put it on break while on a bay.
Other driver sat eating a sandwich, having a cuppa saying how am I breaking the law by having my break while I’m getting tipped?

All this while I’m on a bay, sat in the canteen enjoying a cuppa, and yes mine is on break as well!

Who’s right?

DonutUK:
Interesting little scene in a canteen just now, one driver insisting that it’s illegal to put it on break while on a bay.
Other driver sat eating a sandwich, having a cuppa saying how am I breaking the law by having my break while I’m getting tipped?

All this while I’m on a bay, sat in the canteen enjoying a cuppa, and yes mine is on break as well!

Who’s right?

Break is for recouperation and it does not legally matter where it is taken

Legal - simples :slight_smile:

DonutUK:

Who’s right?

You are right, a break is time that can be used exclusively for recuperation, you don’t have to be able to freely dispose of your time or be free to go where you want or any of the other stories that circulate, you don’t even need access to a canteen, you could legally have a break in the cab whilst on a bay if they would let you.

I quite often have a break on a bay especially if i’m on that bunk chucking a load of zzzzzzz’s.

I often put it on break whilst stripping the boards out and rolling up straps etc, as long as your not driving with it on break as apprently vosa take a dim view of that.

Saaamon:
I often put it on break whilst stripping the boards out and rolling up straps etc, as long as your not driving with it on break as apprently vosa take a dim view of that.

I think most drivers do the same including me but if vosa roll up and you are pulling the curtains or strapping up a load and it’s on break then they would be rubbing their hands together as you are not on break at all, you are doing other work.

Saaamon:

how are you on a break if your still carrying out work related tasks vosa would take a dim view of that as what your describing is other work not a break

JJ192:

Saaamon:

how are you on a break if your still carrying out work related tasks vosa would take a dim view of that as what your describing is other work not a break

My old boss said this was fine :confused:

Saaamon:

JJ192:

Saaamon:

My old boss said this was fine :confused:

Your old boss was a little fibber… :slight_smile:

DCPC still needed! :open_mouth: all illegal :unamused: APART FROM FRIDAYS! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Saaamon:

Irrespective of what mode the tacho is in,upon starting to move,the tacho defaults to drive anyway,analogue or digi.except that the analogue returns to the last mode selected while the digi remains indicating “other work”.

slightly off topic…but if your company dont pay you for your break then that break is yours to take as and when you want and you are free to do whatever you choose in your own time??

bestbooties:
Irrespective of what mode the tacho is in,upon starting to move,the tacho defaults to drive anyway,analogue or digi.except that the analogue returns to the last mode selected while the digi remains indicating “other work”.

Not always - depends what mode the tacho is set to default to. Two of ours go to break (bed) when you take the keys out no matter what you set it to. The display goes dark (at night) and you have to guess whether or not you have pressed twice for other work if needed.

As far as I’m concerned, if I’m doing what I want and it’s not work or driving then I can call it a break. I often take a 15 sitting in the cab in a queue to tip - not driving, watching a DVD or playing with phone/laptop/other :wink:

Saaamon:

What you’re doing is completely illegal and had plod been watching you and decided to stop you, you would have questions to answer.

There have been people stopped outside RDCs by plod and you’ll find the posts on this forum about it.

gardun:
As far as I’m concerned, if I’m doing what I want and it’s not work or driving then I can call it a break. I often take a 15 sitting in the cab in a queue to tip - not driving, watching a DVD or playing with phone/laptop/other :wink:

So what do you say to VOSA when they stop you and all your tacho shows is drive or break?

Conor:

gardun:

So what do you say to VOSA when they stop you and all your tacho shows is drive or break?

Shall I bend over now? or later?

Nowt wrong with taking a break on a bay, sat around waiting doing nothing you are resting. However, if stuck in some poxy waiting room with no proper facilities then i would never do it unless i was on job and finish. Like most i have my breaks docked and they can whistle if they think im sitting in them rdc cesspits unpaid.

Conor:

gardun:

I would refer them to what I wrote :wink:

if I’m doing what I want and it’s not work or driving then I can call it a break

sometimes I check the vehicle/load, open/close curtains, strap the load, move curtains/straps etc. etc. all of which are work. For this I use crossed hammers. Simples.

gardun:

Conor:

gardun:

I would refer them to what I wrote :wink:

if I’m doing what I want and it’s not work or driving then I can call it a break

sometimes I check the vehicle/load, open/close curtains, strap the load, move curtains/straps etc. etc. all of which are work. For this I use crossed hammers. Simples.

You could also use bed.