Break clarification

just a quickie as i may be right or wrong but need to check,

if I work a shift that is 6 hour or less with less then 4.5 hours driving is it right I still have to take a 45 min break, as I,m advised by my transport office? my own take is 30 mins to comply with wtd, as I don,t drive over 4.5 hours and don,t need to comply with the 4.5 driving hour rule…

as an added interest what is the correct break for say 8 hours work but less then 4.5 hours driving?

no break needed in the first part ( unless they want to pay you for a break :wink: )

for the 8 hour shift you’d need a 15 minute break after 6 hours

Well I may be shot down here but I think that for a 5h59m shift with >4.5 hours driving you would only need a 15 min break for wtd.

6h or more needs 30 mins for wtd but, however long your shift you dont need a break for driver’s hours untill you have “driven” for 4.5 hours.

dle1uk:
just a quickie as i may be right or wrong but need to check,

if I work a shift that is 6 hour or less with less then 4.5 hours driving is it right I still have to take a 45 min break, as I,m advised by my transport office? my own take is 30 mins to comply with wtd,

You are both wrong. You don’t need any break for a shift with less than 6 hours work and less than 4.5 hours driving. You only need a WTD break if your shift has more than 6 hours of work.

dle1uk:
as an added interest what is the correct break for say 8 hours work but less then 4.5 hours driving?

If it is 8 hours of actual work rather than a shift of 8 hours then the correct break would be at least 30 minutes, could be 2 breaks of at least 15 minutes each, before the end of the shift. You must take at least 15 minutes of break before exceeding the 6 hour s of work point.

Note, you could have a shift of say 8 or 9 hours but with enough POA and less than 4.5 hours driving you still would not require a break. It is actual work, driving time and other work, which triggers the WTD breaks not the length of the shift.

Santa:
Well I may be shot down here

Matron, pass me my shotgun. BANG!!! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Santa:
but I think that for a 5h59m shift with >4.5 hours driving you would only need a 15 min break for wtd.

For a shift with less than 6 hours work then no break is required for the WTD.

The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005:
Breaks

• (1) No mobile worker shall work for more than six hours
      without a break.

(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but
does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break
lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

(3) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds nine hours, the
worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 45 minutes and
interrupting that period.

(4) Each break may be made up of separate periods of not less than
15 minutes each…