bread lorrys

hello

can anybody on here help with detils and photos of lorrys used with any of the bread firms like wharburtons hovis kingsmill and rathbones from the small vans upto the units any help would be greatly recived in my reserch on the transport used by these firms

many thanks ftdb team

that looks like the Gilberdyke yard

Driver-Once-More:
that looks like the Gilberdyke yard

/geography/where_i_lived/gilberdyke/050913_rfoster_mp_geo_gilberdyke_55.jpg

That is the one

A subject close to my heart,as I used to work for the now British Bakeries,or as it was then,Mothers Pride,when I was a youth,and before that,Wonderloaf.Some of the early photos I can’t help you with,but I can point you to a pic of the type of vans we used to use.

oldclassiccar.co.uk/consulmk2.htm

(Look to the extreme right.)

Vehicles also used then,were the Ford D Series,Leyland Roadrunner,Leyland Terrier,Leyland Boxer.

You can also link to my story,which is at the end of this thread,and also has the above pics:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … wonderloaf

Ken.

Found another link.

Scroll down for some of the vehicles I mentioned:

austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?lcvtrucksf.htm

Ken.

Does anyone have any photos of Country Maid Bakery, Saltney, Chester (Sunblest Bread) delivery vans / trucks?

Here’s a 1947 Morris Commercial which appears on an old postcard of Bridge Street, Chester (sorry about the quality but it’s enlarged from a small image):-

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers - RR

Oh, now you are going to make me all misty eyed about Rambla Bakeries in Beverley :stuck_out_tongue:

Bright orange vans with a character resembling the Pilsbury dough boy wearing a flat cap. :smiley:

rapidgem:
Does anyone have any photos of Country Maid Bakery, Saltney, Chester (Sunblest Bread) delivery vans / trucks?

Here’s a 1947 Morris Commercial which appears on an old postcard of Bridge Street, Chester (sorry about the quality but it’s enlarged from a small image):-

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers - RR

My Dad drove for Allied Mills at Seaforth for 23 years and used to deliver flour to Country Maid at Chester. One of the early shift took a picture of the tank tipped-up while he was blowing flour into the silo and presented it to him - then my Dad went and lost it - cracking picture of his B-Series too…

Thanks for your posting marky, sounds like a great photo. Did your Dad deliver to any other Country Maid Bakeries apart from Saltney? I know they had one at Newcastle-under-Lyme although I’m not sure if they had others too?

Thanks also to Quinny for the link to the Austin-Rover site where I discovered this little gem :-

Not sure if it was based at Saltney bakery, but they had lots of this type there just like this BMC/Morrris FG with the renowned ‘Thruppenny bit cab’

Any more details or snippets of the Country Maid Fleet would be gratefully received.

Cheers - RR

Yes, the motors from Seaforth took flour into:

Embrey’s at Newcastle-under-Lyme
Cookson’s at Lytham
Scott’s at Netherton
Bradford’s at West Brom (opposite WBA)
Whittle’s at Littleborough
Hagenbach’s at Hednesford
Sharrock’s at Bredbury
Newbould’s at ■■■■ Lane, Bradford
Newbould’s in Sheffield (next to Bertie Bassett’s)
Rathbone’s at Newtown, Wigan
Melling’s at Farnworth
Jacobs at Long Lane, Aintree
Sutton’s in Coventry

Thanks for the list Marky. I wonder if anyone has any pictures to show us?

Cheers - RR

Sunblest were,I think,the first comapny in the country to use baskets to carry their wares,hence the design of the van in the pic above,which was a walk in type,when the others still relied on the rack and tray type.

Some of the rack and tray type,had a big single up and over door,and some of the earlier type,had a 3 split type back door,which was constructed like a smaller single up and over door,with 2 drop down type step/flaps,which,if you got in the way,would take your shins off!!!

Thank God later designs were of the Sunblest type,which everyone adopted,and were great when it rained as you didn’t get wet.

Ken.

not mine i’m not that old, but like many i started on one of these

and drove one down that street, can’t do it now its been pedestrianised for over 20 years

Is that road in Peterboro■■? Is the big building down the bottom on the rhs Woolworths??

Deepinvet:
Is that road in Peterboro■■? Is the big building down the bottom on the rhs Woolworths??

no mate, its newport st between great moor street and victoria square part of what is now the pedestranised centre of bolton

this is it today from the other end, you can see the canopy above the shops is still there on the right in the old picture, and on the left of the modern picture

this is at the opposite end of the pedestrianised area

OK cheers mate.

Fred Dibnah a doctor■■?

I didn’t know that!!!

However,I used to enjoy his programmes,especially his early stuff about toppling mill chimneys.Pity he wasn’t still alive to do the twin towers at Sheffield.

What does the script say on the bottom of his statue,as it’s a little small to read?

Ken.

The Inscription on the plaque reads:-

" DR FRED DIBNAH M.B.E"
STEEPLEJACK
Honorary Doctorates:
Universities of
Robert Gorton, Aberdeen
5th July 2000
and Birmingham
19th July 2004
REVERED SON OF BOLTON
1938-2004