Breaching hours

hi im quite concernd as the company i work for may be about to be investigated after an accident another driver had, he had worked all night then went out in a van and wrote it off
quite a few of us have breached the resting periods that are meant to be taken, not enough weekly rest and worked 6days a week constantly for a month,
what penalty am i likely to get?

Hard to say for sure. Anything form a fine to a suspension of your LGV entitlement for a period.

If it has been consistent flouting of the regulations rather than the odd one off, and from what you say it does sound as if it has been a regular occurrence, then a suspension and a fine is the more likely outcome. If you have just ignored the rest requirements but not tried to conceal it by falsifying records then that is about the worst you can expect. However, and I don’t want to worry you unduly but you did ask, if there has been any attempt to conceal your actions by altering records then you could even be looking at a short jail term. There is a few threads on here detailing that sort of punishment, a recent one involve a Northern Irish haulier.

Incidentally working 6 days every week isn’t in itself illegal, provided the correct rest periods are taken.

thanks for your reply, ive not tried to hide anything and stayed legal most of the time, just the last month has been a bad one. really heavy work load and long hours.
ive been working 65-70 hours a week however my driving times is under the 90hours a fortnight and ive taken my breaks as your meant to during the day, and had the correct amount of daily rest but think my end of week rest is where its gone wrong
other drivers have worked 100hours a week and not had their daily rest, just gone out in anologe tacho trucks or vans

Sounds like you might not be facing too much in the way of sanctions. You might not even have committed any tacho offences. When you say you have worked 65-70 hours is that total hours including breaks and any POA or is that just working hours?

Certainly you have some reason to be concerned though it does not now sound like you’ve been consistently flouting the regulations over a long period or in the most serious manner.

To be honest from what you’ve posted in this thread your own situation may be comfortable compared to your employers, from what you’ve posted I think it likely that your employer will have plenty to be concerned about and unfortunately your employers demise could come back and bite all of you if the operators license is suspended or worse :open_mouth:

I’m sure I don’t need to say this but I’ll remind you anyway, make sure you don’t post anything on here that could identify yourself or the company you work for, or the company almost certainly will be investigated :wink:

Welcome to Trucknet-UK by the way :wink:

thanks for the replies,
i have no intention of naming the company,

sound advice guys

Coffeeholic:
Sounds like you might not be facing too much in the way of sanctions. You might not even have committed any tacho offences. When you say you have worked 65-70 hours is that total hours including breaks and any POA or is that just working hours?

thats total hours ive been clocked in for so includes breaks and POA

mar_k:

Coffeeholic:

thats total hours ive been clocked in for so includes breaks and POA

You probably have little to worry about in relation to hours worked then, so if your weekly rests have been okay you should be in the clear. I would start looking for alternative employment just in case though because the company could get hammered.

im currently looking for some trunking work so i am trying to get out of there