Brand new load securing guide from .GOV [July 2023]

This latest guide has 6 headings of clickable links and includes some ‘how to’ video.

:bulb: Have a read, then ignore it or pretend that you didn’t know at your own peril. :open_mouth:

Thanks DD for putting that up.

It’s worth mentioning that if you look at DVSA’s Categorisation of Defects
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … efects.pdf
and go to the section that deals with load security, pages 51 to 55, you’ll see all but a handful of load security infringements have the same penalty: Immediate PG9

Glad I work on fridge boxes :sunglasses:

Or containers.

I wouldn’t expect DVSA to totally ignore fridges or containers, though containers with a customs bolt have an excellent excuse.

I once had a numpty Plod telling me to open the back of a 40 yard skip full of glass fragments. I explained why that was a stupid idea, he persisted, I invited him to do it instead, he threatened to arrest me, insisting he MUST know what was inside. I had to climb up and take photos of the contents just to get him to bugger off - and they wonder why people think they’re thick :unamused:

Zac_A:
I once had a numpty Plod telling me to open the back of a 40 yard skip full of glass fragments. I explained why that was a stupid idea, he persisted, I invited him to do it instead, he threatened to arrest me, insisting he MUST know what was inside. I had to climb up and take photos of the contents just to get him to bugger off - and they wonder why people think they’re thick :unamused:

Funniest one I had was when I got pulled into the first lay-by south of The
Parkway and the plod had obviously just done his dangerous goods course and was eager to try out his newly acquired knowledge. I was pulling a CO2 tanker at the time and he was most concerned that there were no access ladders so he could inspect my manlids! I patiently explained that it was a pressure tank and therefore had no manlids.

He then seized upon the fact that the trailer had no fire extinguisher for any cargo fire. Once again I patiently explained that it was in fact a forty foot long fire extinguisher! His older colleague just smiled wryly.

:laughing: I can just imagine.

I did my DGSA course in a room full of Traffic Police, whose only reasons for doing it was to know a few more tricks to try to nail drivers, but a DGSA course doesn’t actually cover the practicalities of ADR driving, so that’s how you end up with the numpties you met.

Nice bunch of guys, not! Once they found out I was a “civilian”, they all ignored me for the rest of the week. And some people wonder why there’s a culture of them vs us. :unamused:

South of Bordeaux…

Running back up from Spain with large bags of new potatoes. We were pulled over by customs who demanded to see the load. I knew one of the bags had tilted over already because we’d snaffled a few spuds to cook up with supper the night before. At the doors of the trailer, I did my best to explain that if the doors were opened we might all be standing in potatoes. Open it or you’re in trouble was the response. They cascaded out for about 10 seconds and rolled everywhere. We then set about picking them all up and putting them back in.

We gave the Douane brothers some to take home to the wife and we were on our merry way again.

the maoster:
, He then seized upon the fact that the trailer had no fire extinguisher for any cargo fire. Once again I patiently explained that it was in fact a forty foot long fire extinguisher! His older colleague just smiled wryly.

Ahh, another re-telling of a story that I’ve heard about mistaken enforcement officials many times before, so I’ll sort it for them yet again. :smiley:

ADR 5.4.3:

• Where appropriate and safe to do so, use the fire extinguishers to put out small/initial fires in tyres, brakes and engine compartments;

So this bit tells a driver where a small/initial fire CAN be fought

ADR 5.4.3 also:

• Fires in load compartments shall not be tackled by members of the vehicle crew;

This bit tells a driver where NOT to fight a fire (of any size.)

You still needed two fire extinguishers capable of fighting fires of fire classes A, B and C though, so if you didn’t have a second fire extinguisher it would have been ADR 8.1.4 written on the prohibition, rather than ADR 5.4.3., but still not for the reason given by the mistaken enforcement official.

This is the picture they have used on their facebook page and in the comments they say it is correctly secured… facebook.com/photo/?fbid=59 … 9914492489