Brand new driver (North East)

Hello guys, nice to be here on the forums with fellow minded ladies and gents.

I passed my class 1 around 3 weeks ago and am a newly qualified driver with no experience of driving anything heavier than my Ford Fiesta :unamused: . I’m currently living in Middlesbrough so am looking for work around that general location.

I’ve just started getting my licenses through now and started applying to jobs around Saturday, been getting replies here and there but everyone seems to be ‘not enough experience’ or ’no vacancies’.

I’ve got an assessment/interview with Stobarts on Tuesday but it’s around an hour and half drive away and with the current uncertainty with the company I think I’m going to give it a pass, if it was tramping work or at a closer depot I may of stuck with it.

I’ve been to a couple of companies (David fox, Ward bros) and handed cv’s in, but currently working a full time job and a new baby in hand is making it hard for me to knock on doors as much as I would like too. I’ve applied for jobs through job sites and emailed cv’s applications off to a few companies as well. I’ve looked into agencies a little but I’m unwilling to leave a full time job for partial work here or there as I’m the main income in the household…

If anyone can give some advice on the best way to go about finding something it would be greatly appreciated as it seems I need all the help I can get at this moment :frowning:

Also is it too pushy if you’ve sent a CV/application through email to then go to the companies depot/head office and try your luck there as well?

Anyway it’s nice to be part of this forum, hope to stick around and chat with you guys :smiley:

PASSING CE ARTIC.jpg

PASSING CE WD.jpg

Jonny5282:
Also is it too pushy if you’ve sent a CV/application through email to then go to the companies depot/head office and try your luck there as well?

Anyway it’s nice to be part of this forum, hope to stick around and chat with you guys :smiley:

No mate. Its not too pushy. Its just keeping yourself in mind. These people arent shy retiring snowflakes. They are hard nosed transport managers. Keep visiting, calling, dropping them a line. Do it with a smile, and present yourself as friendly, polite and professional. Your aim is to be in mind when a vacancy opens up.

Be persistant and good luck mate.

If you don’t mind tramping (and a bit of graft) you could try Hoggart Haulage based in Wilton. They pull boat trailers for P&O Ferrymasters from Teesport, Hull and Killingholme.

There are other firms in and around our neck of the woods you could try:

Barker and Stonehouse (Riverside Park)
Stiller’s (Aycliffe)
Allinson’s (Darlo)
Armstrong Richardson (Stokesley)
Preston’s of Potto (Stockton and Potto)
Ed Murray (Hartlepool)
Charlie Russell (South Bank)

Also

Davis ( Darlington next to the Aldi )
Reed Boardall
Go into Ward as 50% of there drivers are agencies