Brakes,formerly brake brothers

a mate of mine is thinking of applying for a class 2 position with brakes . they have a few depots in scotland and he asked me what like they were to work for.i personally have no idea but maybe some of you guys might have some info

thanks in advance

If it’s Brake’s at ■■■■■■■■■■■■ don’t bother!! I can honestly say it was the worst job I’ve ever done in my life working there! :open_mouth:

Aren’t they at Bellshill Riggend Industrial Estate now??

i`ve heard that they are a rubbish firm to work for down south too…but hey…each to their own…and somebodys got to do it…dont take others words though…go and take a look yourself…find out the pay and conditions etc…if it suits you…go for it…

Are you not trucking to Spain anymore Bob?

Have never worked for them but I have worked for a company who rents trucks to them, if you mate has just got his licence & wants a job where he can bend every truck he drives, tell him it’s the job for him.

The chap I knew who did some agency work for them wasn’t impressed and told the agency NOT to send him there again. :question:

been there done that here in leicester and i hated it cages of chilled and a hand ball freezer then you have to empty them at each drop into there fridge, i was offered a fell time job with them its 23k and you have to work every saturday (day off in the week), like daxi said if hes new and need experience then well its a job

cheers for the info guys,not my kind of job either but i suppose its a starting point for my mate seeing as he is lacking in experence .
£23k doesnt sound too bad though,could be worse and be £5 per hour.

The (agency) work I’ve done for Brakes has been multidrop chilled/frozen food to pubs, etc. It’s early starts (4-6am).

If you’re lucky, you’ll be able to pull the cages into the customer; if not, you’ll have everything on pallets, and you’ll have to handball every box all the way from the back of the truck to the customer’s freezer. It’s [zb] hard work.

The vehicles seemed to be reasonably well-maintained, but they’re not the newest ones on the road.

I’ve worked for brakes a few times on the agency (in rochdale depot) they do some trunking on there class 2’s overnight but the majority is shop (food)deliverys.

I don’t find it to bad but you’ve gotta have plenty of muscle and not mind early starts 'cos its hard work and its 4-6am starts!

A lot of the blokes i’ve worked with doing it hate it but I think its ok!

and there upgrading the fleet this year to all merc ategos! So you gotta like mercs!

they took over watson& phillips based at tannochside,w& p where ok to work 4.they would let you pick your run and then they left you alone.it was shops,schools etc.how it’s been since brakes have taken over i don’t know,probably turned a no bad company into a crap one. :wink:

I worked at the Lincoln depo till it closed down on the multi drop from between
25 to 40 drops a day, on the busy rounds this could be up to 55 drops[Skeggy in summer]
You r paid a set wage,mine was £308 ,the extra bonus is made up of
60p every signed invoice
10p pr km
1p every item on the van
I know there is a few more bonus but i cant remember them.
It the same as all jobs good and bad, a plus is when you get to know the round
and customers you will never need to bring a pack up or flask.