Brake problem on Daf CF75. Help please!

I own a Daf CF75 on a 2008 plate. About 6 month ago my brakes all locked and I lost my cruise control( which I’m told is safety thing when brakes lock on) so I got the garage out, after about 2hrs he said a flake of paint had come out a line and the brakes was all free again and had no problems since, until today!!!

Again I’m driving and brakes locked on for about 10 mins but then freed themselves off without me touching them and all was ok for the final 10 min journey I had home.

When I got back to the yard I looked at the two brake arms on the back axel from behind the truck. One arm seem to come lower down when I put handbrake on, is this normal? Could this be the problem?

It seems as tho it’s the exact same thing as last apart from the freed themselves this time. Anyone any ideas what this problem could be?

Help!!! Oh and I’m a complete novice at fixing trucks.

Thanks

I know it’s late but if anyone can help tonight that would be great. So I’ve got some idea in the morning what I’m dealing with.

Thanks

Anyone?
Even my brakes locked on the first time they think the was flake of paint in my airline which must have got in from when the truck we new

I’m no expert on Daf’s. But the last truck I drove that had a problem like this it was the filter in the airdryer that had failed and sent particles down the airlines. This was with an ERF ec11, so similar mechanically to the DAF i guess ;o)

My guess is that it could be something along those lines, certainly the air tanks would seem a good place to start.

does it build full air pressure if so when you release park brake does warning light go ?out if not probalbly faulty multi circut valve if you remove air pipe to port 25 on valve if no air supply or very little its failed

leehellcat:
I’m no expert on Daf’s. But the last truck I drove that had a problem like this it was the filter in the airdryer that had failed and sent particles down the airlines. This was with an ERF ec11, so similar mechanically to the DAF i guess ;o)

My guess is that it could be something along those lines, certainly the air tanks would seem a good place to start.

I’ve replaced the airdryer fillter today which for about half hour was ok by then they locked on again so its not the filter.

I turned the ignition on while keeping my foot on foot brake ( someone said try it) and they seemed to be ok for the rest of the day.

Could the airdryer be on it’s way out? Could the crap in the air line blown thru?

It’s a weird one.

mattaid:
does it build full air pressure if so when you release park brake does warning light go ?out if not probalbly faulty multi circut valve if you remove air pipe to port 25 on valve if no air supply or very little its failed

Yes the pressure builds up and the light goes off when I release the park brake.

if your looking at the back of the truck when you pull hand brake on & only 1 of the slack adjusters (arm) comes down then which ever doesnt on the same axle the chamber is ■■■■■■ & could be causing it to jam,

it could be the circuit protection valve shutting off, if its failed its usualy ■■■■■ in the pipes,

could be the air dryer its self if its an electronicly controled one the perameters could have been spiked & its lost its memory or most likley its coked with ■■■■■ & needs properly cleaning out, if ur guna do that also check the pipe work from the compressor & the compressor itself to make sure that isnt coked up, if it is this will cause slow air build up or if the coke is loose will causde intermitant blockages in the pipe causeing air build up to be lost & will bring brakes on.

id look closer into the chamber fault if i were you, make sure both arms come down tgether when the hand brakes on, if not you have a knackerd chamber, the spring inside the chamber could have gone through the diaphram in the chamber causing air loss & also bringing brakes on or jaming them on as the sring canot release.

cheers nic

check for floor mat or dirt getting under footbrake pedal and activating micro switch in footvalve dosent take much . next time it does it just see if brake lights are lit. are the brake linings are ok on rear is it drums or disc

mattaid:
check for floor mat or dirt getting under footbrake pedal and activating micro switch in footvalve dosent take much . next time it does it just see if brake lights are lit. are the brake linings are ok on rear is it drums or disc

I did clean under the footbrake but wasn’t really giving it proper clean as I didn’t think it was that but I then noticed my brake lights had come on, I give under footbrake a good blast with airline and a good clean and the brake lights went out.

Maybe it was just crap under the footbrake ( I hope)

mixer driver:

mattaid:

I did clean under the footbrake but wasn’t really giving it proper clean as I didn’t think it was that but I then noticed my brake lights had come on, I give under footbrake a good blast with airline and a good clean and the brake lights went out.

Maybe it was just crap under the footbrake ( I hope)

hope its all good that will be why you loose cruise control also as it disables it when foot brake applied