Brake lights

After hitching up to a trailer, I had to stop at the transport office to clarify a discrepancy with the paperwork and seals. Whilst the transport chap was by my vehicle, I asked him to check my brake lights. He was a little surprised, but was quite happy to help. I asked him how most drivers checked their trailer brake lights. He said that they didn’t.

Unless it’s dark and the trailer I’m picking up is on dock or against a wall I am unable to check the lights. Presumably we’re supposed to check the brake lights. How do drivers do it? Or, in practice do drivers not check them ?

Try using a stick or something similar to hold down the brake pedal so you can check all the brake lights at the same time as the other lights when you put the plate on. On older units it also means you can check for brake cylinder leaks on the trailer too.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds a bit primitive in this day and age, but at least it’s guaranteed to work.

i use a stick also.
however some modern trucks computers will do a check of the lights and let you know if any are not working. it might not tell you the exact bulb that has failed but atleast you will know to start looking.

dave:
i use a stick also.
however some modern trucks computers will do a check of the lights and let you know if any are not working. it might not tell you the exact bulb that has failed but atleast you will know to start looking.

Computer technology is good espeically if a bulb blow during the journey, but nothing beats a visual check. I place the trucks tool roll on the brake pedal and then walk round and check the lights.

I prefer the use of a piece of wood shaped amazingly similar to a baseball bat :wink:

and me or get someone else to check them,if you got security guys at the gatehoue in depot ask them to check when you draw forward. :wink:

Suffolk ReeferBoy:
I prefer the use of a piece of wood shaped amazingly similar to a baseball bat…

Me too !

A lot of larger depots have a mirror on the way out for you to check them.

i find my maglite does the trick

I wedge the lift axle control box in there, the volvo ones fit nicely :slight_smile:

the easy way is to remove the whole brake light and lay it on the ground where you can see them in your mirrors…this may take an hour or so but is worth it.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
If i am picking up a trailer where i have to change the lenses then i always check every bulb before replacing the lenses…night time you can use the reflection method…or simply ask another driver…another good idea is if you are on c.b. you can check them whilst on the move…shop window reflection is another trick…good god i`m giving away all my expertise…

According to the sales literature, the new Scania R-series has a ‘bulb check’ button on the central-locking key-fob. I assume that this turns on all the lights in sequence at the touch of a button. Sounds like a good idea to me. So in answer to your question, get yourself a new R-Series!! :wink:

Whats wrong with:-
Standing by the open drivers door,
pushing down the brake pedal with your hand,
run like hell to the back of your trailer and looking?
:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I must admit, I’m now clearly getting too old n slow, because the lights have gone out by the time I get there now, or I’ve been driving lots of trailers with duff brake lights :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Always a tricky one. Funny how 9/10 times when you ask somebody in your or anyone elses yard to have a goose at your break lights they always think you’re off your head. :unamused:

Better safe than sorry. Even though it’s the fault of the driver who shunts you from behind, I’d feel guilty as hell if there was an accident caused by my brake lights not working.

With 4 prisms and some cardboard you can make 2 small periscopes and adapt them to fit over the brake lights. :smiley: Remember to get an adult to cut the holes in the cardboard. :wink:
To brighten them up a bit you can cover them in sticky back plastic and then put stickers of your favourite trucks or page 3 girls or (as people tell me women drive trucks :open_mouth: ) ■■■■■■■ fireman on them. :laughing:
Place them onto the lights and go back sit in the cab, It might be better to get a grown up to do this if you are driving a very tall truck (grown-up and truck driver might be a contradiction :laughing: ), press the brake pedal whist looking at the periscope in the mirrors. If they work you should see a red light. :wink: :smiley:

Most of you have got all weekend to make them and you can take them to work on Monday and impress your friends. :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i have an old rubber bodied torch that i use, i push the pedal down with it then wedge it at the base of the panel, as the torch is rubber it grips the angled surface and holds the pedal down in place whilst i wander to the back and have a gander, it was never any good as a torch, the batteries used to go flat in a couple of weeks even without use but it makes one heck of a brake light tester.