Bradford on Avon, no more lorry watchers

Wiltshire County Council have stopped the lorry watch scheme, it is now a free for all, trucks of all axle configurations going over the 17 th century bridge, one writer to the readers letters to the local paper complains the bridge will fall down and what will shop keepers do with lost trade when that happens .
The reasons lorries use the 18 ton weight limits is due to using car sat navs in a lorry, foreign registered trucks will not adhere to warning signs, or the driver has entered the town from a road where no warning signs are not posted and you get to the point of no return and it is impossible to turn around.
Another writer moans the traffic congestion is down to lorries due to long queues of cars not letting them turn or give way to them.
The town should have a bypass but the Nimbies will object to that due to spotting a rare spotted newt or rare bird in a bush in the fields .
The people that write to the paper do not know the size and dimensions of lorries that can legally use the bridge, they just write extra large lorry, which to them was a rigid two axle who is delivering in the town .

Is badly signed . if coming from box/bath bypass side there is a turning to left at top of hill that takes you to trowbridge . is not signed properly .

When i was trans manager i drew a map with route for a multidrop run in a 26 tonner avoiding bridge .

Driver still went over bridge !

Id give bridge 2 years more life before collapse

Surprized those malicious nimbies have’nt picked up on that idea of that bridge at Barnard Castle… Cameras both sides the bridge. No. Not in a truck that day; a trannyvan run and went that route out of curiosity…

simon1958:
Surprized those malicious nimbies have’nt picked up on that idea of that bridge at Barnard Castle… Cameras both sides the bridge. No. Not in a truck that day; a trannyvan run and went that route out of curiosity…

I assume Barnard Castle bridge is restricted due to how tight it is when coming from/going towards the A66. The route past Bowes Museum is easier.

parkus:

simon1958:

I assume Barnard Castle bridge is restricted due to how tight it is when coming from/going towards the A66. The route past Bowes Museum

Correct. And no self respecting arctic driver would want to take it either …

Sorry. Slightly cut ya post there…

Why’s Bradford Lorry Watch been axed? Now they’ll be sat on grass verges doing traffic surveys and dawdling along to garden centres, shaking their heads when anyone overtakes them at 40mph.
Expect neighbour watch membership to swell in the area.

I once went through Bradford On Avon in just a tractor unit. Still got shouted at as I waited in traffic that there was “an arctic ban here”.
I replied “North or South Pole?”

They ain’t too friendly to trucks in St. Albans either :laughing:

Anti lorry Nimbies have too much time on their hands to get a myacardial infarction over a killing monster juggernaut rumbling past their over priced Fudge box pretty third home in the countryside .
They should be spending the kids inheritance on round the world cruises and two new Range Rovers .
They think a Ford Transit van is an artic, ffs get a life .

The same is probably happening with the weight limit in Norton St Phillip - my sat-nav tried directing me through there once on the way to Radstock, because it doesn’t know about the complicated diversion system in Frome. Last week it directed me via Shepton Mallet, which was not good for a fully loaded 44T steel truck. And this is a truck sat-nav!

Indigo, the lgv diversion to a avoid Norton is the Frome bypass then head towards the town centre going past Sainsburys and the fire station, turn left on roundabout to head to Radstock.

simon1958:

Nope, but to be fair there is no lorry watch scheme, and the blanket limit is rarely enforced locally

F-reds:

simon1958:

Nope, but to be fair there is no lorry watch scheme, and the blanket limit is rarely enforced locally

Is it a 5t limit as seen in Birmingham or Lichfield? I just ignored them when I did 18t’s for Tesco. If a copper even bothered to pull me up I’m just a stupid truck driver. I could pass for Polish but if they checked my licence it wouldn’t fly :laughing:

toby1234abc:
Indigo, the lgv diversion to a avoid Norton is the Frome bypass then head towards the town centre going past Sainsburys and the fire station, turn left on roundabout to head to Radstock.

I wonder how long it will be before the Nimby’s start kicking up in Buckland Dinham? Some of their parking in the village on the hill is getting stupid and God forbid you’re going up the hill when they’re going down in their 4x4’s. They’re very reluctant to wait until you’re through!

Htmldude - no it’s a blanket 7.5t limit except for loading, and its also a no waiting zone over night. So if you were delivering you were fine anyway.

Don’t go sending the boys round my place for a chat, but I can sympathise to a certain extent with the nimby’s… BUT, they want the goods delivered, so they should be harassing their councils etc to get proper signs for proper diversions for through traffic and bear the extra expense of deliveries in small vehicles. None of us want to see bridges destroyed, but if signs and satnags direct a stranger to the wrong road, what’s the driver supposed to do ?

toby1234abc:
The reasons lorries use the 18 ton weight limits is due to using car sat navs in a lorry

That has nothing to do with it. I use a car Satnav, never gone through a weight limit in the 11 years I’ve been using them.