BP and New Zealand

Hello i work for Pace Petroleum formerly Q8. I’m doing rigid 6 wheeler work at the moment. I recently heard from someone working for Cpl petroleum that Bp are recruiting drivers to go and work/live in Australia and New Zealand. Is this true does anyone know? and if you do can you point me in the right direction for details. Thanks.

bp.com/iframe.do?categoryId= … Id=7014758

Well i dont know about australia but out here in New Zealand there are plenty of british drivers who work for Bp…the wages arnt great over here but its better than sitting on the M25 every day…you should have no trouble in getting a job on the fuel companies ur best bet would be to come out here for a holiday & go & visit them as there is a driver shortage over here as a lot of New Zealand truck drivers go over to australia to earn the $…or look on trade me site they are always advertising for drivers on there!!..

Thanks for the feedback. If i went on to tankers in NZ would my Adr be recognised over there or do you have to do their version of Dangerous goods training?
I know the money isn’t as good as it is here. I’m more interested in a change of lifestyle and a different pace. I spent 3 months there in 2006 and loved the country and the people. I like their laid back attitude and its a fantastic country to drive around. Every day it would be a pleasure.
Better start saving up for a fair and enough money to keep me going for a few months :slight_smile:

Ok how about a slightly different question.

If i were to head to NZ with my 3 years Lgv experience, obtained driving a mixture of Class1 and Class2 vehicles. Can anyone who has done it or is doing it lay out in steps as 1,2,3,4 etc. Exactly what i would need to do to gain employment there driving heavy goods be it line haul or tankers. Including things like whether i would need their version of dangerous goods and forklift if needed and the approximate costs would be a great help too.
e.g. :-

1. Get blah blah blah Cert.
  2. Approach Potential Employer.
  3. Recieve job Offer.
  4. !!!

I’m not going for a while yet, but i want to plan it early and save all the money needed to set myself up for a few months while im getting a job. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

jad24369:
Thanks for the feedback. If i went on to tankers in NZ would my Adr be recognised over there or do you have to do their version of Dangerous goods training?

Hi jad24369, I can’t answer your question with a direct Yes / No, but I can tell you which countries are members of ADR.

ADR actually stands for
The European Agreement Concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road.

This is the list of ADR countries:

Albania, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Eire, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Ukraine and United Kingdom.

Since NZ doesn’t appear on that list, I’m guessing that your ADR certificate won’t be valid for use in NZ. :frowning:

So as not to end on a negative note, it might be an idea to take your ADR certificate to show a potential NZ employer (who may well look at it as a quaint British curiosity :wink: ) but at least it might go some way to proving your experience in the carriage of dangerous goods, and that you’re potentially capable of passing the the NZ equivalent qualification. Just a thought. :grimacing:

Thanks DD, it should count for something like you said and i should imagine ill have to do a course to gain their qualification. Time will tell :slight_smile:

Hey DD, i recently changed the address on my license and was automatically issued with a new Vtc. Am i to destroy the old one? Or should i hang on to it?

jad24369:
Hey DD, i recently changed the address on my license and was automatically issued with a new Vtc. Am i to destroy the old one? Or should i hang on to it?

Hi jad24369, you should destroy the old one mate, because you can only drive with the most recently issued VTC.

VTCs have an “issue number” on them so the Police/VOSA would know of the offence pretty quickly at the roadside. :wink:

Ok will do. Wasn’t sure if they would like me to return it. It just turned up in a brown envelope with no mention of what to do with the old one. If i had torched it you can guarantee they would have wanted me to send it back. That’s the sort of luck i get :laughing:

You would av to take the New Zealand dangerous goods as they dont regonise the british dangerous goods which would cost you about $230 & it takes just takes 1 days training in the classroom…but its best to get the job offer first…

Hello Mr sunworshipper, have you got experience of working over there? Did you seem my question a few messages up?