Boxes and containers

was talking to a driver who works for caledonian frt company in grangemouth.
we where getting loaded in a company in hillington and he was telling me that he was not insurred to go in the back of the box trl.i asked why this was,and he said that because it was a p&o box trl,also he said that it is against the law for a driver to load a box or a container as someone could close the doors and take the complete load away with him in the back.now i can understand that bit,but is it law :question: and you’d need to be bloody strong to get them container doors closed quickly as their not the lightest of doors.

he had a set too with the forklift driver because the forkie boy (graham)said he was not insurred to be on the trl,so the driver phones the boss and tells him that they refused to go on the trl and to confirm that he was not insurred,the boss said that it’s up to you weather you load it or pull away.and guess what he done …yes loaded it.so i’m thinking why create all this fuss if your going to go against your company rules anyway.

so is it law :question:

how many of you box/container driver’s load your own trl’s :question:

and what’s your company policy on this :question:

and r u’s insurred for being in back of trl’s :question:

We do, but we are different to most because we pull ou own boxes - I work for a shipping line, not a haulier.

People on Geest do, too.

Other tha that, it’s generally an insurance no-no…certainly on my other Container jobs that’s always been the case, although as a subbie a backhander usually prompted me to ignore that bit… :wink: