Box Weights

Any ideas roughly what an empty 20’ ISO shipping container would weigh? I’ve got an idea but wanted confirmation.

Cheers.

2.2 ton. I think mate.

8wheels:
Any ideas roughly what an empty 20’ ISO shipping container would weigh? I’ve got an idea but wanted confirmation.

Cheers.

2200 to 2500kg I reckon

3600kg to 4000kg for a 40’

According to wikipedia 2,400 kg. Disgusting isn’t I,ve been dragging one around all day and I’ve got to look on wikipedia to see how hwavy it is :blush: :blush:

Cheers, I reckoned on 2.5t for a 20 footer.

Which means that if my crane can reach (max radius 8.5m) one then it should lift it. Anything that it can’t lift has either been modified or has stuff in it. It’s amazing the amount of “empty” containers that are locked and also heavy.

I had one today that it wouldn’t lift at 5.5m (rated capacity 3.5t) it was also empty and locked. We got the crane checked with a known 2.5t weight and it would lift at max outreach.

Every container has it’s Tare weight marked on its doors.

Stupot:
Every container has it’s Tare weight marked on its doors.

Good point, sadly the only ones I move are used for site storage or offices etc by groundworkers and the like and they have usually been repainted.

8wheels:
Cheers, I reckoned on 2.5t for a 20 footer.

Which means that if my crane can reach (max radius 8.5m) one then it should lift it. Anything that it can’t lift has either been modified or has stuff in it. It’s amazing the amount of “empty” containers that are locked and also heavy.

I had one today that it wouldn’t lift at 5.5m (rated capacity 3.5t) it was also empty and locked. We got the crane checked with a known 2.5t weight and it would lift at max outreach.

Maths and physics are not my strong point but you wont allways lift at the cranes rated capacity especially where containers are concerend, it’s all to do with the angle of the jib and how far the hook is from the box ie the length of the chains.I’m probably not explaining myself too well, probably cos I dont fully understand it myself :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: but I’ll use my crane as an example .
It’s a 63mt ton and at 15mt it will lift 3.4 ton . I recently shifted a machine that was plated at 3.25 ton, cos of where it was i was at full reach but lifted it no bother but a few weeks later I had a part loaded box witch would’nt come off the ground until i dragged it a bit closer. Thanks to the nice people at vosa Stirling I discovered the box weighed about 3.2 ton .Nearly identical weight but if I remember right the jib was about 2mts shorter before the box would lift. :confused: :confused: :confused:

It’s all a bit odd as it’s all centred on the hook, but I think a small load seems easier than a box.

I don’t really give a toss, if the crane won’t lift it then it’s game over. I’ll pack up and go to my next job, it’s just the aggro later when I get told that it should have lifted it :unamused:

During recent discussions about a possible replacement for the crane my boss said “Well the bigger crane would be nice and would certainly handle containers better, but it would be too heavy and we wouldn’t be able to carry our bigger machines” I replied that a smaller crane would be nice and ■■■■ the containers :laughing:

8wheels:
It’s all a bit odd as it’s all centred on the hook, but I think a small load seems easier than a box.

I don’t really give a toss, if the crane won’t lift it then it’s game over. I’ll pack up and go to my next job, it’s just the aggro later when I get told that it should have lifted it :unamused:

During recent discussions about a possible replacement for the crane my boss said “Well the bigger crane would be nice and would certainly handle containers better, but it would be too heavy and we wouldn’t be able to carry our bigger machines” I replied that a smaller crane would be nice and [zb] the containers :laughing:

Then it could be frozen into the ground too :open_mouth: :cry:

8wheels:

During recent discussions about a possible replacement for the crane my boss said “Well the bigger crane would be nice and would certainly handle containers better, but it would be too heavy and we wouldn’t be able to carry our bigger machines” I replied that a smaller crane would be nice and [zb] the containers :laughing:

Crane sizes are going crazy at the moment , I recently seen a 50mt ton crane on the front of a 6 wheeler , how the ■■■■ the front axle was’nt overloaded I dont know. And as i have said on here before modern cranes are screwed way down and will lift ■■■■ all compered to older models.

alfa man:

8wheels:

Crane sizes are going crazy at the moment , I recently seen a 50mt ton crane on the front of a 6 wheeler , how the [zb] the front axle was’nt overloaded I dont know. And as i have said on here before modern cranes are screwed way down and will lift [zb] all compered to older models.

I think I have a picture of one of these bloody things on a Scania from Stafford or Stoke. it must weigh 18 tonne solo and it had a 40’ trailer behind it too

renaultman:
Then it could be frozen into the ground too :open_mouth: :cry:

It was deffo free, I’d dragged it and kept moving myself so that finally I could get it as close as poss.

alfaman:
And as i have said on here before modern cranes are screwed way down and will lift [zb] all compered to older models

No danger of that here then, my crane is 10 years old :laughing: