Boss... I got a repair under warranty!

Have someone a good story about repairs under warranty?

Do you know some clutch,turbocharger,SCR repair under warranty without stay hours in a dealer just to heard “driver abuse”
or bad maintenance?

Any good true story?

I heard that VOLVO and SCANIA have different warranty posture - but don’t know if they are best or worst when compared
with MAN,DAF,IVECO,etc.

Edzio.

a few years ago, i was working for a company that ran an all DAF fleet, all on FULL R+M contract, everything was covered

well, the radio/CD player developed a fault, it went in 3 times, on scheduled inspections intervals, to get the radio sorted, on the third time of taking it in and defecting it, it eventually came down to threats of removing the aforementioned radio and throwing it at the idiot on the service desk if it wasn’t fixed

needless to say, the idiot on the service desk wanted to speak to the boss about my attitude and threats of removing the radio to hit him with it :laughing: :laughing:

my boss told him that he had no need to worry, and that i would not carry out the threat, as if it was not fixed this time, he would do it himself :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

surprise, surprise, there was a brand new radio/cd player in it when i picked up the truck after inspection :slight_smile:

had a recon motor fitted to my old truck 8 months ago after it turned a main bearing and knackering the block.
7 months later it had to go back and have another one fitted after snapping a main bearing bolt and knackering the block again, the fun and games was that it had to be recovered from Swindon to Ipswich as the company that supplied the engine said it was cheaper for them to fit the replacement rather than scania doing it,
after waiting for a week for them to collect it and scania supplying a replacement it went, it was away nearly 10 days after that, this time the engine supplier had to pay for the replacement vehicle, and recover the vehicle back down to Swindon again.
2 weeks after it came back it was taken off the road as the R & M had run out so at the moment its being just parked up as a spare until the boss decides whether to sell it or not :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

oh and its on an 03 reg 470 topliner but the reason it still has full R & M is another story :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Had my tanks emptied and steam cleaned to get rid of debris at the bottom of the fuel tank, went to fill up, they had forgotten to put the plug back in at the bottom of the tank.
The same place put the gears back to front, so 2 nd gear was 4th and reverse was 1st, all out of order and sequence.

I don’t understand the question: ‘Who’s had stuff repaired under warranty’? :confused:

cieranc:
I don’t understand the question: ‘Who’s had stuff repaired under warranty’? :confused:

I think a few of us have understood it. He’s looking for an interesting response wherby they may have tried to fob you off, or maybe not…they’ve just fixed the fault with no problem. i.e whats your experiences with it ?

Mike-C:

cieranc:

I think a few of us have understood it. He’s looking for an interesting response wherby they may have tried to fob you off, or maybe not…they’ve just fixed the fault with no problem. i.e whats your experiences with it ?

Sorry for the not so clear topic/question,
The original intention was just heard good or bad experiences in trucks under warranty,
Thank you for all replies.

Edzio.

Ah right I get ya :blush:

One of our 6.5 ton Iveco Dailies kept going into limp mode when driving, the driver plodded along with it for a few weeks before the problem got so bad the van was un-driveable. He had noticed though, if he put the clutch in it came back out of limp mode and picked up again.

We used an OBD data-logger when driving it, to see what the ECU was seeing at the point the problem returned - it was losing the crank angle signal. Checked the sensor with a sillyscope, working OK. Swapped the sensor from a similar van, same problem.

So we ruled the sensor itself out and spent a long time chasing the wiring loom through, couldn’t find a fault there. We eventually found the fault - we could stick a tyre lever into the hole in the bellhousing and move the flywheel back and forth, there was over 10mm endfloat! When the flywheel was moving backwards, it was moving away from the crank sensor, losing the signal. Stick the clutch in, the flywheel moved back, picked up again!

So we whipped the engine out and stripped the bottom end. To my surprise, there were no thrust washers in one end of the crankshaft, the crank had worn through the bottom end of the block, allowing an awful lot of end float. Only solution was a new block, crank and journals with thrust washers BOTH ends!

We got on to the dealers, as expected, that’s due wear and tear.
I argued for weeks with the local dealers, then Iveco UK and eventually Iveco head office at Turin.
Eventually, they acknowledged it was a design fault, not due wear and tear, and we settled on a new crank and bearings, with an understanding that if the same problem occurred in the next 300k kms, they’d replace the block too.

That van has now done over 600k kms, and no further problems!
We never got any goodwill for the labour or time spent offroad :frowning:

cieranc:
Ah right I get ya :blush:

One of our 6.5 ton Iveco Dailies kept going into limp mode when driving, the driver plodded along with it for a few weeks before the problem got so bad the van was un-driveable. He had noticed though, if he put the clutch in it came back out of limp mode and picked up again.

We used an OBD data-logger when driving it, to see what the ECU was seeing at the point the problem returned - it was losing the crank angle signal. Checked the sensor with a sillyscope, working OK. Swapped the sensor from a similar van, same problem.

So we ruled the sensor itself out and spent a long time chasing the wiring loom through, couldn’t find a fault there. We eventually found the fault - we could stick a tyre lever into the hole in the bellhousing and move the flywheel back and forth, there was over 10mm endfloat! When the flywheel was moving backwards, it was moving away from the crank sensor, losing the signal. Stick the clutch in, the flywheel moved back, picked up again!

So we whipped the engine out and stripped the bottom end. To my surprise, there were no thrust washers in one end of the crankshaft, the crank had worn through the bottom end of the block, allowing an awful lot of end float. Only solution was a new block, crank and journals with thrust washers BOTH ends!

We got on to the dealers, as expected, that’s due wear and tear.
I argued for weeks with the local dealers, then Iveco UK and eventually Iveco head office at Turin.
Eventually, they acknowledged it was a design fault, not due wear and tear, and we settled on a new crank and bearings, with an understanding that if the same problem occurred in the next 300k kms, they’d replace the block too.

That van has now done over 600k kms, and no further problems!
We never got any goodwill for the labour or time spent offroad :frowning:

A great failure for a small engine…

Thank you for share your experience.

Edzio.

We bought a 4 year old fh from a dealer, got it back and the cruise control didn’t work. When I was up that way again I arranged to go into the dealers to have it checked out. They went through the obvious, switch on the the brake pedal, plugged it into the computer etc. still nothing, but they sent the data to Volvo to look at.
The dealer then said they wanted to swap the cruise control ecu, but if I was willing to fit it, they’d post it to save me the journey. Tried the ecu, still nothing.
So it was arranged that it would go to the local dealers to have another session on the computer with the regional techie. I drove the truck around whilst he sat in the passenger seat messing around with settings. Still nothing, but the data got sent away and a techie from Volvo technical centre at Warwick called me as it was his problem now, he messed around with the data and arranged to come down and reload it on the truck and I finally had cruise control along with several software updates and they turned off the engine idle cut out on my request.
Having to take the truck back several times was a bit annoying, but the Paul the techie from Warwick kept me informed and the dealer never tried to duck out of fixing it under warranty.