Bosnian Motorbikes!

I’ve ‘borrowed’ the title from Ewen McGregor!

I can’t count how many vehicles, cars, vans and yes even trucks, with only 1 headlight or worse, only 1 sidelight working! It beggers believe that they expect me to see them in this ■■■■■■ weather when it’s dark and wet, with spray everywhere and road muck all over the windows & mirrors (I am fastidious in trying to keep them clean BTW) yet they still charge around at 70/80 + mph! I’m sure it was about 1 in 3 vehicles on the A19 last night!

No bloody wonder theres so many bleeding crashs & accidents!

At 1 time it was a sure ‘pull’ from Plod but as I never see them patrolling now they can’t do much about it! Over the last couple of weeks theres been an absense of HATO & VOSA vehicles on patrol to! (not that they do or can do anything!)

Grr, I worry and do my utmost to repair it, even in the dark at 4 o clock in the morning, if I even have a side marker light out!

At 1 time it was a sure ‘pull’ from Plod but as I never see them patrolling now

Well we have all of these nice speed cameras to do the job instead of a an eagle eyed copper, as long as the accident figures are down (well at least by the cameras it is) and the cash machines keep raking in the cash there will be no change to the system.

I am amazed at how many people drive about at night on just sidelights in rain, snow or whatever, but - if it is a little misty and visibility is down to 2 miles then the red fogs are on and 5 mph - tw@ts. :imp: :imp: :imp:

The problem with cars especially is that changing a headlight bulb is no longer the simple job it once was.

Citroen C3 for example requires the removal of the bumper to get at the headlight bulb (as far as I know)

Am suprised that having defective lights has not become an endorsable offence like speeding or defective tyres, the amount of people I see with no brakelights, or just the high level light working is shocking, and it’s not like they’re too hard/expensive to replace, and as most cars come with blown bulb warning lights on the dash It not like you wouldn’t know about it :neutral_face:

Most new cars seem to come with a new type of windscreen too, one that only allows the driver to see to the end of his/her bonnet, this may explain why the coffee bean shakers leave it until the last second to pull off at a slip road or get in the correct lane on a roundabout :unamused:

Grayham:
Am suprised that having defective lights has not become an endorsable offence like speeding or defective tyres, the amount of people I see with no brakelights, or just the high level light working is shocking, and it’s not like they’re too hard/expensive to replace, and as most cars come with blown bulb warning lights on the dash It not like you wouldn’t know about it :neutral_face:

Really?

My last Audi was a “Return to dealer” job to replace a headlight as the whole unit had to be removed and then re alligned! My mates Renault Megane is a nightmare to change headlight bulbs on-you have to take the wheel off and go in throught a hatch to get to the bulb.

I dont think it should be endorasable as they can go at any time and mucking about on a hard shoulder changing a bulb just so you dont get three points is a definite no-no!

Being endorsable is a bit harsh especially given how hard it is to change bulbs on many modern cars. And as far as I’m aware a lot of the vehicles with xenon lights need to be returned to dealer to have them replaced properly. Rear bulbs are normally easy but headlights are a pain. You can add the mk 2 Punto to the list of bumper-off cars.

I’m with Brados on this.
I remember something in the papers a few years ago saying that cameras are not replacements for coppers :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

My father told me (When I was a sprog) that sidelights are parking lights only and I’ve noticed that if you are driving in fog with only sidelights you see the vehicle BEFORE the lights. If there is a question about visability then I put dipped headlights on, NEVER sidelights only.
Im surprised more cars dont have an idiot light on the dash to warn of a light out. The Volvo 200 series have had them for donkeys years (1976 to my knowledge)

I am surprised because the highway code says:
The Highway Code
Lighting requirements (113-116)

You MUST

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

Semtex:
The problem with cars especially is that changing a headlight bulb is no longer the simple job it once was.

Citroen C3 for example requires the removal of the bumper to get at the headlight bulb (as far as I know)

Fortunately it doesn’t, the Missus has one but some Alfa Romeos do. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I can’t say it was an easy job on my Pug 407 :imp:

Grayham:

i think you will find it is and comes under this

from here

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … G_10022425

CU20 Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of use of unsuitable vehicle or using a vehicle with parts or accessories (excluding brakes, steering or tyres) in a dangerous condition 3

i think that vosas powers should be extended to civilian cars as well,and likewise the joe bloggs motorists should be treated like criminals.■■■,sorry truck drivers,and their vehicles checked in the same way hgv"s are.it would without doubt,increase vosas profits,keep “joe” on his toes,but more importantl,make the british road network a hell of a lot safer for everyone.

buck rogers:
i think that vosas powers should be extended to civilian cars as well,and likewise the joe bloggs motorists should be treated like criminals.■■■,sorry truck drivers,and their vehicles checked in the same way hgv"s are.it would without doubt,increase vosas profits,keep “joe” on his toes,but more importantl,make the british road network a hell of a lot safer for everyone.

the are mate that’s who are responsible for the MOT on cars as well as truck and all the others

delboytwo:
the are mate that’s who are responsible for the MOT on cars as well as truck and all the others

i know,i still think that cars should be pulled over randomnly,as are commercial vehicles.

buck rogers:

delboytwo:

i know,i still think that cars should be pulled over randomnly,as are commercial vehicles.

i think that way the police do it as i think there can’t do truck drives unless the officer as be trained in HGV, saw it on tv one police office pull a truck up with a bold tyre but cold not do him had to wait for a traffic officer to do it

delboytwo:

buck rogers:

delboytwo:

i think that way the police do it as i think there can’t do truck drives unless the officer as be trained in HGV, saw it on tv one police office pull a truck up with a bold tyre but cold not do him had to wait for a traffic officer to do it

all the more reason for a fully qualified vosa official to do it,as well as the remit of the police,exactly the same rules should be applied to cars as well as trucks.
and hell,why not fit all cars with speed limiters and tachographs as well.imagine the uproar from “joe bloggs” about that…

buck rogers:
all the more reason for a fully qualified vosa official to do it,as well as the remit of the police,exactly the same rules should be applied to cars as well as trucks.

would agree mate but as you no were the bad boys(truck drivers) of the road car driver don’t do silly things and also the cost, if vosa did do all the stopping it would give the government a reason to get rid of the traffic police once and for good and IMHO that would be a bad thing. in the 80/90s the cops could be scene all the time on the motorway network but now sometimes i could go for weeks and not see one

delboytwo:

buck rogers:

would agree mate but as you no were the bad boys(truck drivers) of the road car driver don’t do silly things and also the cost, if vosa did do all the stopping it would give the government a reason to get rid of the traffic police once and for good and IMHO that would be a bad thing. in the 80/90s the cops could be scene all the time on the motorway network but now sometimes i could go for weeks and not see one

do you not think delboytwo,that the money generated in fines to car drivers would soon pay for any extra cost issues,and also i think if vosa did stop cars,it would free up motorway police who should be patrolling the highways like they used to,and not be “jack of all trades” as they are now?.
now there is an idea-pull cars by vosa=more jobs created=more money generated=happy days all round,hang on though,the goverment would only be intrested if it means opening another rip off financial institution,call centre or mcdonalds.(sorry had to have my little say). :wink:

buck rogers:
do you not think delboytwo,that the money generated in fines to car drivers would soon pay for any extra cost issues,and also i think if vosa did stop cars

but would it mate we all no that the goverment will get most of it and use that money to support the banks :cry:

buck rogers:
(sorry had to have my little say). :wink:

no probs mate everyone a a right to have there say :wink: :wink:

Grayham:
Am suprised that having defective lights has not become an endorsable offence like speeding or defective tyres

It is an endorsable offence; PG9 and equivalent.

buck rogers:
i still think that cars should be pulled over randomnly,as are commercial vehicles.

VOSA have the power to stop, they do patrol the streets for defective cars as well as the highways. The only problem is that trucks, being a bit bigger are easier to see! :laughing: