Boredom

Im bored stiff of driving on motorways.I dont understand why because Ive been driving trucks for the last 20 years and enjoyed the job but now suddenly Im not drrading to go to work and keep dreaming about retirement which is still at least another 12 years away.

Do you ever get like this?

Driving style has gone downhill. I loved the M/ways from mid 70’s. Now I detest them, glad I have retired. The only time for M/way driving now is 03.00-0600 :slight_smile:

Sploom:
Im bored stiff of driving on motorways.I dont understand why because Ive been driving trucks for the last 20 years and enjoyed the job but now suddenly Im not drrading to go to work and keep dreaming about retirement which is still at least another 12 years away.

Bad crack fantasising about retirement, the way things are going they will keep raising the retirement age so you’ll die before you get there :laughing:

Maybe it’s time to consider a different role within the industry?

Time to ring the changes?
I agree that driving mostly on m-ways is boring. My last job was a nice mixture between m-way, major roads, and narrow lanes. Warehouses, farms, private houses, and all in between, most weeks had a mixture of known clients with a few new ones thrown in.
Variety is the spice etc. Work shouldn`t be just a chore.

Hell no I don’t get boredom .
I’ve been carefull and choosen where I work because of the work we do and more importantly of where we go .
Most of or work sees us running round Scotland and the North of England (mostly above the M62 ) with a few loads each month getting us down to Milton Keynes Buntingford and out to Thetford . i take an odd photo in my spare time I’ll include one from just North of Inverness last Sunday evening

Id love to drive round Scotland.Unfortunatley,its not an option for me atm

Zac_A:

Sploom:

Bad crack fantasising about retirement, the way things are going they will keep raising the retirement age so you’ll die before you get there :laughing:

Maybe it’s time to consi
Nobody der a different role within the industry?

Trouble with this industry,as soon as you get promoted,you are on a 40 hour week,besides,I am not management material,you have to be able to make decisions on the spot,and a bottleneck of competition for jobs,it aint happening!

Zac_A:

That’s when paying into a personal and/or work pension comes into play. You can draw that pension currently from age 57 so if you’ve got enough saved to retire outright or use it to supplement a small part time job you can retire/semi-retire long before the state pension age. Hell if you’ve also been paying into an ISA/S&S ISA or saving money and there’s a fair pot in that you could retire/semi-retire before you reach the age you can draw a personal pension from once you’ve got enough to meet your living costs between the time you choose and your pensions kicking in.

The only things that dictate your retirement age are your living costs and savings rate. As soon as your investments hit 25x your annual living expenses you can retire. If you can save 50% of your income you could retire in as little as 17 years. So if there’s two of you working earning the same money and you can live off one income then you could hit retirement in 17 years.

The Shockingly Simple Maths Behind Early Retirement

Conor:

Zac_A:

That’s when paying into a personal and/or work pension comes into play. You can draw that pension currently from age 57 so if you’ve got enough saved to retire outright or use it to supplement a small part time job you can retire/semi-retire long before the state pension age. Hell if you’ve also been paying into an ISA/S&S ISA or saving money and there’s a fair pot in that you could retire/semi-retire before you reach the age you can draw a personal pension from once you’ve got enough to meet your living costs between the time you choose and your pensions kicking in.

The only things that dictate your retirement age are your living costs and savings rate. As soon as your investments hit 25x your annual living expenses you can retire. If you can save 50% of your income you could retire in as little as 17 years. So if there’s two of you working earning the same money and you can live off one income then you could hit retirement in 17 years.

The Shockingly Simple Maths Behind Early Retirement

Assuming zero inflation…
Ed Sorry
“assuming…You can earn 5% investment returns after inflation during your saving years”

Yes,its all very well,but if you have kids that want to go to uni,or buy a house,get married,you cant justify giving up work if you are perfectly fit and able

Sploom:
Yes,its all very well,but if you have kids that want to go to uni,or buy a house,get married,you cant justify giving up work if you are perfectly fit and able

I for one was not talking about retirement as an option, nor of giving up work, nor about promotion nor management, there are other sides to the industry.

I was a driver, then got the opportunity to get into the training/compliance side of things. At the time I was just looking for something different than being outside the truck in all weathers, hoisting things on or off the wagon with a hiab. I got stuck into the new side of the industry, becoming a qualified TM and DGSA as well as delivering ADR courses.

I’ve got so much variety of work now that I can honestly say I don’t get bored at all. As for retirement, I don’t see that as something to be aiming for, I’m more of the view that the work I do now is something I could easily be doing well beyond retirement age (which is closer for me than it is for you Sploom) because the ongoing learning process is simulating and mentally very healthy. It helps if you’re inclined towards study and exams, so I appreciate this would not be everyone’s cup of tea.

a strategy that works for me if im bored is to think of something i cant stand doing and go do it,big time. Example is morris dancing,you find where the nearest club is and hmmm its 50 miles away another bummer but you go and join -at first you hate going but persist and a guy youv met there offers you a great job. time and time again this strategy has worked for me

Sploom:
Id love to drive round Scotland.Unfortunatley,its not an option for me atm

Why not ?
Genuinely curious

Ok,thanks for all the replies.

I cant move to Scotland,I would love to have been born there though,all that scenery and countryside.

Sploom:
Ok,thanks for all the replies.

I cant move to Scotland,I would love to have been born there though,all that scenery and countryside.

You need…

To learn another language though.

Yes,but no problem for me to understand them,but they dont always understand me!