Books

I have just read a good wee book Trucking North Trucking South It’s a young lad just starting out and its his story. He starts as a helper then gets into driving. The lorry is an old Seddon Atkinson with an Eaton splitter. They stay in lodgings when they have a night out. Same lodgings in every place they stay. It is well worth a wee read. It was a different life then. Interesting indeed.

I read that a few weeks back, was a good read. He’s also done another one - Juggernaut Drivers, which is equally as good.

Have you also read the actros trilogy - they’re very good as well

Coffee to go is a good read if its still available

Rikki-UK:
Coffee to go is a good read if its still available

It is.

Coffee to Go: Travels in Europe by Truck8 Jul 2005
by Neil Hobbs
Paperback
£12.54Prime
Get it by Monday, May 23
More buying choices
£0.01used & new(25 offers)
4.2 out of 5 stars 16
Eligible for FREE UK Delivery

Sounds good. Those old drivers digs sound horrendous - when I started on the 7.5t a few years back, I also did some driver’s mate jobs on bigger lorries (which was great, free tuition btw) and one old boy I drive with Todd me about having to put the bed legs into your boots before lying down to sleep, so another driver wouldn’t pinch them in the night!

A journalist who tried but couldn’t pass his class 1 (1990’s) Graham Costner, did a trip to Moscow as a passenger, then a three legged triangular trip in the USf. Really good read, as he is commenting on what is going on in and around without the ‘professional’ lines of ‘when I was a lad’ . Getting some stories from the old and bold, makes for a good read. A Thousand Miles From Nowhere

bigchief:
A journalist who tried but couldn’t pass his class 1 (1990’s) Graham Costner, did a trip to Moscow as a passenger, then a three legged triangular trip in the USf. Really good read, as he is commenting on what is going on in and around without the ‘professional’ lines of ‘when I was a lad’ . Getting some stories from the old and bold, makes for a good read. A Thousand Miles From Nowhere

Must try and get that one

Not All Sunshine & Sand: The Tales of a UK-Middle East Truck Driver

Absolutely fantastic autobiography written by a guy who used to do the middle eastern work. Some amazing stories in there, very easy book to pick up and set down as each story has its own chapter. I found it pretty easy to relate to as he’s from the same little suffolk town as me.

Well worth getting hold of either as a book or on kindle.

Well that’s the next few months reading material sorted.

Danger, Heavy Goods by Robert A. Hutchison is very good. He was a Canadian journalist who went on a trip to the middle east in 1986 with an owner driver of a Scania 111 from the north west of England. They travelled through Iraq and Syria and it’s interesting to read about how things were during that time. It was also past the golden era of middle east runs and the lad with the scania was hard pushed to earn a living.

Cola Cowboys by Franklin Wood is another great middle east read.

In the driver’s seat by Marc Mayfield is a kindle book I enjoyed. It’s about a guy’s personal experience of long distance driving in the states and has a bleak perspective on driving over there but is an interesting read.

A thousand miles from nowhere as mentioned earlier is one I enjoyed, I bought a second hand copy off amazon for that because it’s gone out of circulation.