Bolton School?

Hi

I’ve been lurking here for a while and decided to get my licence. I’ve read the ultra negative online comments such as this

bikechatforums.com/viewtopic … 68#2648468

I’ve decided to go and do it anyway.

Simple reasoning, drove a Merc vito for a couple years nearly a decade ago now. Liked it, became an accountant for some stupid reason hated it (around this time of year if I was in a job I would be having sleepness nights and pulling my hair out). And accountancy is dying (outsourcing = crushed wages automation etc etc). I know I’ll be at the bottom of the totem pole and I know the promises of £30K a year and driver shortages are largely fiction. Although I may never use this licence/skill I feel one day it might be useful. 15 years ago I was a chef. These skills came in handy during my last redundancy.

I’m considering Ribblevalley training or trucktraininguk.com/. Has anybody used them? What are your experiences? I have spoken to three drivers who have been doing driving for years. A common theme that comes up is around Bolton there is Red Road training and that Red Rose very very expensive. Its C1 and C+E that I’m wanting.

I’m thinking of visiting them in 2 weeks time with a big list of questions I’ve printed out from other threads on here.

Any more advice to give me?

Thanks

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I’m thinking of visiting them in 2 weeks time with a big list of questions I’ve printed out from other threads on here.

If only everybody would do this there would be fewer disappointed folk out there. Well done for doing the research.

I can tell you that Red Rose may be more expensive but they’re good. Don’t know the other one so cant pass any comment. You clearly realise that price is only part of the equation.

Please ask all the questions of the trainers you visit and satisfy yourself that your’e happy. I spend quite of lot of time “doing the tour” with potential new customers. It’s part of the job that I happen to enjoy and anyone who is proud of their centre will be exactly the same.

Everybody should follow your example and visit. The only exception is booking on rock solid recommendation.

In the meantime, feel free to fire questions on here and there are trainers on here who are happy to help.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I would have to say those comments from people working as truck drivers are pretty spot-on!

http://www.redrosetraining.co.uk/
Red Rose offers free assesment, you will be able to find out what they offer, how many hours you will need and the cost.

I’ve been on the assesment with http://www.trucktraininguk.com/, as they have a bit lower hourly rate. After the assesment, on which the instructor didn’t really even look how I drive (he has been to busy playing with his mobile) I have been offered few hours more than Red Rose (which i was pretty sure I didn’t need them).

Also except the price what was important for me was the professional attitude. At Truk me as potential customer was ignored for half an hour as the only person in there was busy with his 2 mobiles. Another thing is when i went to Red Rose it really looked for me like a driving school, not a little shed like it was at Truk.

I think you should book your assesment on both (or even in more places), go on the assesment and compare not only the price but also instructors, vehicles, etc. and then decide.

I went with ‘North Manchester HGV’. They’re based in Bolton and trained my Dad about 20 years previously so they’ve been around a while.
I found them reasonable on price and the instructors were very good. Relaxed and knowledgeable and taught me a few things not for the test but have come in handy in the real world.
I passed both first time a month apart and have been driving ever since, almost seven years now.
Good luck with it whoever you decide to train with. Best thing I’ve ever done career wise.

justpin:
Its C1 and C+E that I’m wanting.

I assume you mean C and then CE

Make sure you tick both C & D on the D2 provisional form - not C1 and/or D1

i dont think you could go far wrong with redrose training , i didnt take my driving tests with them (H.G.V /P.S.V ) but i did do my c.p.c ( the proper one not the girlie one ) and they have a good reputation . they have also been around a long time and do the full list of training courses . as for price i cant help you .

i took my HGV with len owens at manchester county 25 years ago , he was only a small outfit but very good . sadly hes not around anymore .

blast from the past … :open_mouth:

Have a read of this you might find them in here if not there re others

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

Go visit more than 1 of them to see which 1 you like

Depends when you passed your car test depends if you need to do the initial or periodic cpc

Reading the link several of those that have replied are on here

But most of the jobs are on there knees as well if you think of the domino effect

Good luck in what you decide

As has been said wish all done there research like this well done

I have had a free assessment drive with RED ROSE and I was more than happy with it. I might be doing a cat D course in the next few months and I will go to Red Rose if I ever get the money together to do it.
HOWEVER, I actually trained for my cat C with Hindley Green (aka www.paulslgvtraining.co.uk). (Moderator - is it OK to give a web address in a post?) It’s a small two man firm and I can give you a ROCK SOLID recommend for Paul and Roy, who also works there.
These two guys really sorted me out. Yes you MUST visit the yard of whichever school you choose and speak with your potential trainer before you make your decision. I will absolutely definitely do my C+E with Hindley Green, but I don’t have any spare cash at the moment. If you read any of my other posts, you will see that I have been doing agency work and getting an average of £200 per week out of it, so I am at least getting experience but not enough to pay monthly bills. Remember that.
Dont forget to think about your CPC. I think (but dont know) that you can do CPC with Paul at Hindley Green - ask them. If I can I will do my CPC with them. If you can’t then Yes, I am sure that Red Rose will do a professional job. I have actually visited their Kearsley site. Its big, well furnished with teaching equipment, wagons, vans, buses and classrooms.
I also had an assessment at North Manchester HGV and I would also say that there is nothing to complain or worry about them, they were fine. Its just that I found Paul and Roy at Hindley Green to be a bit more switched on to my specific training needs.

Good luck with your training and please ask if you want more info on anything.

Cheers,
Landylad

LandyLad:
(Moderator - is it OK to give a web address in a post?)

Hi LandyLad,

Yes mate, it’s OK to give a link as you did, because it’s a recommendation.

If you were connected with the firm, then it’s a breach of forum rules on advertising. :smiley:

Everybody thanks for the information. I’ll go and look carefully at the other schools mentioned.

Peter Smythe:
Firstly, welcome to the forum.
If only everybody would do this there would be fewer disappointed folk out there. Well done for doing the research.

I did not do the research for my first career and thus ended up wasting a lot of time and acheiving great dissappointment over this. I’m definately going to be careful before jumping into this one.

Peter Smythe:
I can tell you that Red Rose may be more expensive but they’re good. Don’t know the other one so cant pass any comment. You clearly realise that price is only part of the equation.

I’m going to consider them again and will pay a visit soon. As said the drivers I know in real life say that they are through but you can end up paying a lot through them. Of course cost is just one consideration. Way back in 1999 I really didn’t get on with my driving instructor and progressed very little. This was with a big national chain of instructors starting with a B. Heh they were unhappy I did not want to do 20 hours in their simulator first. So I changed instructors to a much easier going guy and took the test a week after.

Same thing with skydiving (does anybody know a bloke called Ron who skydives in near Blackpool?). Had an awful coach who I was scared of. Kept mucking things up. Met a funny bloke over in Notts (Langar) who was real easy going and got a skydive grade two days later.

Thanks again, though Notts not being TOO far and me tending to visit I may add you to the consideration list.

Hi mate
I am doing my CE test on the 21st with Paul at hindley green lgv training . he,s a great guy relaxed I had an assessment with him november cost £30 and he charges £37.50 an hour for lessons …so well worth it … I did my C with a Bolton company Based in farnworth and failed my C first time and CE twice with them mate they are over rated and over priced .the owner Instructor at that place spent more time on his mobile and shouting and balling rather than instructing …and still owes me 21hrs of a DCPC course that was paid for upfront but i was funded at the time so had no say in the choice of trainer …at that time … I feel a lot more confident with Paul at hindleygreen lgv but if paul could not have fitted me in i would have gone with either Ribble Valley lgv or Red rose lgv … :laughing: .Best of luck mate who ever you choose :wink:

i did my C and C+E at truk leeds
same firm
really good lads i cant moan about them i passed both first time cheap and no messing about

I did both my C and C+E with Paul who runs Hindley Green LGV training, he is a top bloke and the training was great and not overpriced, both my diaries on the forum ( i don’t know how to put links to them :blush: , maybe someone can help on that).

I passed my C+ E in July last year and got a full time class 1 job in September so can honestly say that Pauls training definately put me in good stead.

Check him out at…

paulslgvtraining.co.uk

John

driverjohn:
both my diaries on the forum ( i don’t know how to put links to them :blush: , maybe someone can help on that).

Just find the page, hover your mouse above the address bar, right click, the address will turn blue and a box will open in which you have the option to “copy”. Hover your mouse over “copy” and left-click.

Compose the message in which you want to add the link, right-click again where you want to put the link, then left-click “paste” and it will paste the whole address into your message.