Bologna crash [Merged]

independent.co.uk/news/worl … 79536.html

Freck that is all I can muster at the moment.

That is horrifying beyond words

liveleak.com/view?t=smENv_1533574608

I wondered about the 2 cars that were on fire on m6 today , nobody seemed near them so I’d guess they were all out and safe , but this is on another level :frowning:

Bloody hell!!

Holy ■■■■, that is horrific.

That’s just awful…

My condolances to all involved.

As far as I recall, Bologna has only one ring road running around the north side of the city. There will be gridlocked traffic for days I imagine.

yourhavingalarf:
That’s just awful…

My condolances to all involved.

As far as I recall, Bologna has only one ring road running around the north side of the city. There will be gridlocked traffic for days I imagine.

Yup it’s a super busy road. The road has collapsed in places onto a car park underneath so it’s be chaos for weeks

The remains of the tanker blown in half and the destroyed bridge.

Film of explosion.

I’m amazed the death toll wasn’t higher, although it may rise.

There was an explosion near Tarragona on the N340. 207 deaths and over 200 seriously injured.

That was the bleve most of us learned about on Haz Chem in the late 70’s

From the video, it looks like the tanker driver just ploughed into the back of a stationary line of traffic.

Always thought fuel tanker drivers have the biggest plums on the road. One wrong move and its over for everyone. I mean i dont know how safe tankers are but ■■■■ this is something I’ve never seen.

Watch at the end :open_mouth:

Any tanker drivers here? do you have a fear each time you drive one (gas/fuel)?

I was pulling Propane and Butane for a while but once I got used to the way it acted as a live load i cant say I acted any different from any other time. I was conscious of it but can’t say i was fearful of it. Think i was more concerned with it leaking and all the carryon that would cause than it blowing up

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

The bit at the end is called a BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion).
They are the most devastating and powerful type of explosion…
Thought you’d like to know!!!

Absolutely horrific but these type of accidents seem to be happening far more often than they used to. Is it mobile phones, sat navs or drivers just not paying attention?
Got to say when I was carrying thousands of gallons of petrol I was always on the ball watching not only what was going in front of me but behind as well.
Even had knumbnuts asking for a light whilst doing a delivery! Unbelievable but true.

jakethesnake:
Absolutely horrific but these type of accidents seem to be happening far more often than they used to. Is it mobile phones, sat navs or drivers just not paying attention?
Got to say when I was carrying thousands of gallons of petrol I was always on the ball watching not only what was going in front of me but behind as well.
Even had knumbnuts asking for a light whilst doing a delivery! Unbelievable but true.

People just need to learn to drive trucks correctly and stop blaming other people :unamused: :wink:

yt03:

jakethesnake:

People just need to learn to drive trucks correctly and stop blaming other people :unamused: :wink:

Once again your strange logic returns. Is it an 'ull thing? :wink:

I spent many years, a decade or so ago, on petrol tankers.

Must admit they never scared me, but I was always mindful of the 40 odd thousand litres of spirit just feet behind me.

Had a fire in the cab (driver’s door electric window unit) once, had smoke come out of the radio another time (after I accidently spilt a slush puppy drink down the dashboard) and was once hit by lightning during a huge thunder storm on the M25 near the M3 intersection in busy Friday night rush hour traffic. Huge flash and a bang so bad it shook the entire truck and sent a shock up my left thumb that felt like a needle being rammed in.

Saw the video footage of the Bologna crash and the tanker involved didn’t look like a petrol tanker (as the news was reporting) to me.
It looked more like a gas tanker, much larger than the typically slim low petrol tankers.

Explosion would be far more likely with pressurised gas in a tank than with petroleum spirit and / or it’s vapours.

jakethesnake:

yt03:

jakethesnake:

Once again your strange logic returns. Is it an 'ull thing? :wink:

You should know, I thought you’re previous username claimed to be from Hull :laughing: