Blue weight limit signs

Guys, is a blue weight limit sign cautionary (like the unsuitable for HGV signs)?

Got a drop tomorrow where there is such a sign, I can get to it from another direction whereas the regular red circle sign states 7.5 except for loading so no real bother, but would be easier to go from the blue sign way :slight_smile: I only know it’s there as it’s right by the Chelmsford test centre which my instructor pointed out to me when taking lessons.

Cheers

Goggle map picture in link (if it works)

the blue just says that in 200 yards there is a 7.5t red circle sign, nothing more than that imho

That blue sign is indeed simply an advance warning of the 7.5T limit which you are approaching.

Anyone got a pic of one of those because I cant recall ever seeing one?

Cheers guys, looked again on GM and indeed there is the red circled 7.5t sign further down the road with the same except for loading exclusion.

Dave

raymundo:

In the link above…

raymundo:

There’s one shown in the Google Maps link in the OP…

Or have a look at page 39 in this Govt booklet:

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 191955.pdf

raymundo:

The blue information signs that tell you of a weight, height or width limit ahead. Although the one the one Dave linked to was the older version with text only, rather than including the regulatory symbol.

If it’s the circular sign with white border and blue background with the picture of a lorry and weight in it then it’s a mandatory route sign (mainly found in city centres) otherwise advance warning as previously stated.

FLIP:
If it’s the circular sign with white border and blue background with the picture of a lorry and weight in it then it’s a mandatory route sign (mainly found in city centres) otherwise advance warning as previously stated.

I’ve seen them with picture of a bus, tram or bicycle - but never with a picture of a lorry. Where have you seen them?

Roymondo:
I’ve seen them with picture of a bus, tram or bicycle - but never with a picture of a lorry. Where have you seen them?

I think this may have something to do with Newcastle’s “no car” lanes. I think some were being changed to normal bus lane type signs, but still allowing lorries in some places.
But such a sign wouldn’t mean it is a mandatory route for lorries or buses, it would mean that only the types of vehicle listed could use that road.

Roymondo:

FLIP:

There are some in London (they have an arrow in them as well), giving the route(s) that would avoid the lorry control zone. It’s the opposite of the weight limit sign.

Saw them in London and I assumed the were recommended routes…someone mentioned weight limit ahead which got me panicking but it was the small ones with the truck on I saw (round). Was my first time in London (I think I let my n/s wheels into a bus lane due to an oncoming vehicle…bus… Taking more room to go round a vehicle.is this likely to be caught if there’s a camera?) And I wasn’t aware how lorry control worked except for reading on this forum…shouldn’t a leaflet be provided to HGV drivers when you get a digi card or something? If it wasn’t for the internet how would it be expected for drivers to know this in advance?!

KarlM:
Saw them in London and I assumed the were recommended routes…someone mentioned weight limit ahead which got me panicking but it was the small ones with the truck on I saw (round). Was my first time in London (I think I let my n/s wheels into a bus lane due to an oncoming vehicle…bus… Taking more room to go round a vehicle.is this likely to be caught if there’s a camera?) And I wasn’t aware how lorry control worked except for reading on this forum…shouldn’t a leaflet be provided to HGV drivers when you get a digi card or something? If it wasn’t for the internet how would it be expected for drivers to know this in advance?!

A number of depots have maps of the excluded routes in London, but the London Councils website has a map you can download:

londoncouncils.gov.uk/servic … ry-control

It’s pretty confusing, because the signs are often outdated (often showing 16.5T instead of 18T which is what the limit currently is), some of them on roads which are now excluded (e.g. the A312 south of Northolt) and are nowhere near as consistent as the newer zones like the Low Emission Zone.

J

Where you delivering too …Skeggs Farm? I wouldn’t worry about going into the weight limit there as no cameras etc …I never had a problem and the village Is big enough to take a truck through

The limit is only there to prevent heavy traffic cutting through Writtle rather than any weak bridges etc. For the purposes of making the delivery just ignore it,

DaveB68:
Guys, is a blue weight limit sign cautionary (like the unsuitable for HGV signs)?

Got a drop tomorrow where there is such a sign, I can get to it from another direction whereas the regular red circle sign states 7.5 except for loading so no real bother, but would be easier to go from the blue sign way :slight_smile: I only know it’s there as it’s right by the Chelmsford test centre which my instructor pointed out to me when taking lessons.

No, an “except for loading” or “except for access” weight limit means you are excluded if you are delivering, which you can easily prove.

IndigoJo:
No, an “except for loading” or “except for access” weight limit means you are excluded if you are delivering, which you can easily prove.

Only if you are accessing a property within the restriction, and not going straight through to somewhere that can be accessed by avoiding the restriction.