Blue Lights

Hi,

Just wondering, Whats the law on blue LED’s on the front? Seen a few trucks with em, one today must have had about 50… Thinking about getting some but at £8 a piece dont wanna buy a load to end up getting fined every other day…
Thanks
Shaun

You can legally have any colour showing to the front, except red.
The lights may not flash, whatever colour they are, except the indicators, of course.

Regards,
Nick.

The urban myth is that you’re a bit of a Fruity Rudi if you have blue LED’s on your truck. Dunno how this particular rumour got started & I don’t think too many people have heard of it but worth bearing in mind if you are getting wanted/unwanted attention. :wink:

Not quite right ncooper, the factory fit marker lights MUST be white, any auxiliary lighting can be any colour apart from red on the front, and not flashing

Silver_Surfer:
The urban myth is that you’re a bit of a Fruity Rudi if you have blue LED’s on your truck. Dunno how this particular rumour got started

I think Coffeeholic started it on here and declared it to be one of his greatest achievements when it went full circle and someone on the ferry once told it back to him.

Paul

Many thanks for the replies… I will get them ordered but not in the unwanted / wanted attention kinda way though… :smiley:

aye i remember having green/blue small marker lights on my front bumper in the 80s ,lasted aprox 2days till i was stopped by police on the A66 and told take bulbs out or else !!!
…checked my card as well…
didnt need to stand out so took markers off when got back to yrd .

I got blue led bulbs as my sidelights to match the zenons on my car, yellow/white origionals looks crap!

Technically illegal in accordance with the RVLR but no one will give a toss.

A big truck with little blue LEDs isn’t going to look like a police car…

Not certain myself, I took a friends Fiat Punto for it’s MOT a couple of years ago and he had blue lights fitted to his screen washer jets (? :unamused: ) but I had to disconnect them before I could get a pass certificate. :confused: They told me " White lights only facing forward apart from indicators" so I cant give a definate answer.

Pete.

windrush:
Not certain myself, I took a friends Fiat Punto for it’s MOT a couple of years ago and he had blue lights fitted to his screen washer jets (? :unamused: ) but I had to disconnect them before I could get a pass certificate. :confused: They told me " White lights only facing forward apart from indicators" so I cant give a definate answer.

Pete.

was told the following (highlighted in red) by a VOSA examiner at the Leicester Test Centre

shuttlespanker:
Not quite right ncooper, the factory fit marker lights MUST be white, any auxiliary lighting can be any colour apart from red on the front, and not flashing

mines gone through the MOT for the last 3 years with blue leds in the bottom kelsa bar, i had replaced my sidelights with some white led bulbs and the vosa man had a right debate with me wether they were bluey/white or not, in the end he agreed they were just white so as shuttle says, factory fit must be white but add ons can be any colour except red

chaversdad:
mines gone through the MOT for the last 3 years with blue leds in the bottom kelsa bar, i had replaced my sidelights with some white led bulbs and the vosa man had a right debate with me wether they were bluey/white or not, in the end he agreed they were just white so as shuttle says, factory fit must be white but add ons can be any colour except red

i belive only
White to the front Red to the back

turps:

chaversdad:

i belive only
White to the front Red to the back

well you believe wrong :unamused:

The top outer markets front facing need to be white, if for instance you have the 3 inner lights on the roof like volvos, they can be any colour. The sidelights in the headlamps need to be white.
Side markers amber.
Rear facing red.
That’s from when I was a fitter…
But I suppose its discretion from whoever sees or stops you…

one of ours got pulled at junc18 on M4 a couple of months ago, had blue leds in the light bars and was told by vosa they had to be disconnected, they quoted section 42 of the road traffic act and regulation 16 road vehicle lighting regulation 1989 hope this helps :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

this is the wording of reg 16
Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices

1. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with—
    (a)a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or .
    (b)a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not
    too be honest i would like to challange what he told to do in court, but i think they had him on (b)

the rules have changed since 1989
the factory fit side lights have to be white to the front, other colour’s are now allowed as “add ons” as long as red only faces to the rear.
others have pionted this out before in this thread!
its nowt to do with discretion, the law on lights changed a while ago fact!
moose

repton:

Silver_Surfer:
The urban myth is that you’re a bit of a Fruity Rudi if you have blue LED’s on your truck. Dunno how this particular rumour got started

I think Coffeeholic started it on here and declared it to be one of his greatest achievements when it went full circle and someone on the ferry once told it back to him.

Paul

I started it about a year prior to being on here, the forum just helped me spread the word a bit wider and quicker.

Couple of months ago I was with an agency driver who told me what the blue lights meant when a truck displaying some overtook us. :smiley::grin::sunglasses:

My mate got nicked about ten years ago for having blue sidelights in a vauxhall nova, at the time he was told it was impersonating a police car.

I thought the er “urban myth” was if you parked in a layby with a back door open, it really meant your back door was open :wink: .