Blue Badge Holders & Double Yellow Lines

I know they are allowed to for up to 3 hours, but does anybody else here ever find themselves running into problems manouvering because of blue badge holders parked on double yellow lines?

There is a retailer I deliver to fairly often in a town centre whos loading bay access is on a one way street adjacent to a restaurant, and you have to reverse down the service road from the street. Whenever somebody at the resturant parks outside on the double yellow lines, it leaves me no room whatsoever to swing in so I am absolutely screwed, can’t go anywhere and have to wait for sign of life. This has happened on more than a few occasions in recent times.

Given that this loading bay is shared by 3 other retailers, and there drivers must all have the same problems, it stinks of being bloody stupid. :imp:

Reposted on correct forum.

Please delete.

i as a blue badge holder disagree with people just abandoning their cars on double yellow lines espeacially as there is ample spaces in all the car parks some people need to have more common sense instead of abusing the luxury of a blue badge.

Hi everyone. My first post and I’m making it because I too get thoroughly irritated by blue badge “holders” (in brackets because most of the time it’s doesn’t even belong to them) parking up where-ever they want. I read the literature on the blue badge concession a while ago, and don’t remember it saying that they were allowed on double yellows. They do get prioritry in disabled bays, and avoid charges in legitimate parking bays. However, I encounter a lot of them parking on corners, close to traffic islands, on double yelloow or red lines and in bus stops which they are definately not allowed to do.

Well, as a class 1 holder who can’t find work because of the experience/timelapse rule, and can’t drive class 2’s because the pay is often totally [zb] (my first forum swear word…and probably not my last) I’m driving london buses so part of my prejudice against this group probably stems from the tirades of abuse I get when I politely remind them of their infringements. One individual came sauntering back to his free car which was liberally parked smack bang in the middle of my stop, having got his day’s supply of ■■■■ and fried chicken, got in and proceeded to start making a phone call. When I pulled along side and tooted the horn on the daf to say “wtf??” the bloke jumped out and went mad. Well, I’m 32, fit, strong and pretty fast and if said invalid really wanted to have a fight with me, then he can’t be that disabled really. My point is, there are legitimately disabled people who need to be mobile, but this is a gravy train that has got totally out of hand. The wardens won’t touch them, the police won’t intervene, and most other people’s sensibilities prevent them from pointing out that half of the “disabled” have nothing wrong with them except a phobia of work, and are simply fat and lazy.

Too much? well I might be alone in my opinions, but the artic drivers who can’t get round corners because of them, and the bloke on the bus in the wheelchair with no legs who has to wheel himself back up a hill because the bus stop is blocked by one of them, and the guy having a heart attack who needs an ambulance, and the fire brigade who need to get to a shout… The blue badge holders think that they are untouchable and as a result, never think of anyone but themselves. Put them all back in those little blue three wheelers is what I say. !!

danny-jones:
Hi everyone. My first post and I’m making it because I too get thoroughly irritated by blue badge “holders” (in brackets because most of the time it’s doesn’t even belong to them) parking up where-ever they want. I read the literature on the blue badge concession a while ago, and don’t remember it saying that they were allowed on double yellows. They do get prioritry in disabled bays, and avoid charges in legitimate parking bays. However, I encounter a lot of them parking on corners, close to traffic islands, on double yelloow or red lines and in bus stops which they are definately not allowed to do.

Well, as a class 1 holder who can’t find work because of the experience/timelapse rule, and can’t drive class 2’s because the pay is often totally [zb] (my first forum swear word…and probably not my last) I’m driving london buses so part of my prejudice against this group probably stems from the tirades of abuse I get when I politely remind them of their infringements. One individual came sauntering back to his free car which was liberally parked smack bang in the middle of my stop, having got his day’s supply of ■■■■ and fried chicken, got in and proceeded to start making a phone call. When I pulled along side and tooted the horn on the daf to say “wtf??” the bloke jumped out and went mad. Well, I’m 32, fit, strong and pretty fast and if said invalid really wanted to have a fight with me, then he can’t be that disabled really. My point is, there are legitimately disabled people who need to be mobile, but this is a gravy train that has got totally out of hand. The wardens won’t touch them, the police won’t intervene, and most other people’s sensibilities prevent them from pointing out that half of the “disabled” have nothing wrong with them except a phobia of work, and are simply fat and lazy.

Too much? well I might be alone in my opinions, but the artic drivers who can’t get round corners because of them, and the bloke on the bus in the wheelchair with no legs who has to wheel himself back up a hill because the bus stop is blocked by one of them, and the guy having a heart attack who needs an ambulance, and the fire brigade who need to get to a shout… The blue badge holders think that they are untouchable and as a result, never think of anyone but themselves. Put them all back in those little blue three wheelers is what I say. !!

You had a rant about disabled people, but you are not correct about the double yellows, but you are correct about some abuse of the blue badge or general abuse of the disabled bays.

Provided the double yellow lines do not have the vertical loading marks, then you may park for up to 3 hours. You must set the clock to within 15 minutes of arrival.

direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 186198.pdf

I use a blue badge for my friend who is disabled, she cannot drive, her car is not free, she pays £200 per month on a lease, some cost more, some cost less, depending on the vehicle. I am a named driver for the insurance.

I cannot use the blue badge for my own use, even though I am fairly immobile.

I realise there are some parts of London who have separate rules for blue badge holders but in general they are quite self explanatory. Not everyone abuses the system, some people rely on it. It isnt all free parking as tomorrow I am going to Hospital and although there are plenty of disabled bays, we still have to pay the same as the nurses, the catering staff and other patients

basicaaly a blue badge holder can park almost anywhere unless it clearly says you cant lol but i still agree most do abuse it supermarkets are worst though as mums think they have the right to park in diabled spaces cos they have kids this then causes problems for disabled people to park hence then resorting to yellow lines

cbarnes:
basicaaly a blue badge holder can park almost anywhere unless it clearly says you cant lol but i still agree most do abuse it supermarkets are worst though as mums think they have the right to park in diabled spaces cos they have kids this then causes problems for disabled people to park hence then resorting to yellow lines

So is it ok for a blue badge holder to take up a parent and child space then, as they do more often than not, leaving people with kids to park somewhere else…sounds like double standards to me

natsdad:

cbarnes:

So is it ok for a blue badge holder to take up a parent and child space then, as they do more often than not, leaving people with kids to park somewhere else…sounds like double standards to me

But I remember when they didnt have these :unamused: when mine were young had to park where I could with no extra space to open the doors

natsdad:

cbarnes:

I think that is more to do with the drivers, not noticing the difference between the two, just seeing the yellow hatching.

The reason for these parent and child spaces baffles me, if the mummy drove a normal sized car instead of a customised tank, she could fit it in a normal sized bay

Wheel Nut:

natsdad:

cbarnes:

I think that is more to do with the drivers, not noticing the difference between the two, just seeing the yellow hatching.

The reason for these parent and child spaces baffles me, if the mummy drove a normal sized car instead of a customised tank, she could fit it in a normal sized bay

Its not about the size of the car really, its about being able to open the doors and get the kids out without damaging anyone else’s car.

So what about days gone by :question: :question: ie 23 years ago when I had mine there was no such thing as Parent & child space which is used by anyone that I have seen :unamused: as it normally closer to the doors then other spaces

I had to park where I could & get children out of the car ( mine now 23 & 22 )

Mine is 10, so i think theyve been around for about 12 years i reckon, and i agree, when i was a kid…now 40 they didnt exist and my parents managed. My comment was that blue badge holders park in them and dont bat an eyelid, but when someone parks in a disabled space they kick up a right stink.

i think its funny the amount of people who look at me and my family get out of the car in a disabled space as im only young lol until they see the blue badge the issue is superstore dont regulate there car parks so anyone can park anywhere really but no i dont think disabled should use child spaces or vicwe versa i can however use both as i have a 1 yr old 4 yr old and 5 yr old

cbarnes:
i think its funny the amount of people who look at me and my family get out of the car in a disabled space as im only young lol until they see the blue badge the issue is superstore dont regulate there car parks so anyone can park anywhere really but no i dont think disabled should use child spaces or vicwe versa i can however use both as i have a 1 yr old 4 yr old and 5 yr old

Supermarkets are probably the only place to have parent and kids parking and they have no jurisdiction anyway, disabled or parent spaces.

But the issue and the OP was about blue badge abuse, but not every blue badge holder is in a wheel chair, not every blue badge holder is a spaz.

I was out with my friend last night, she holds down a very high powered job and is a director of the company she works. She can walk up to the pub occasionally, she has children, she has a good ■■■ life, she told me so, but she is severely disabled and will probably die before her 3 children leave school. Because she has a good job, she has a BUPA membership and goes to Harley Street for her treatment

spaz not very pc mate. lol i have had posts removed for being racist. not haveing a pop at you i think its just a bad choice of words . wot i want to know is have the board sent you pm)s like they would if it was me

cockneygazzer:
spaz not very pc mate. lol i have had posts removed for being racist. not haveing a pop at you i think its just a bad choice of words . wot i want to know is have the board sent you pm)s like they would if it was me

There is a long post about the use of the word, did you know it stems from the Greek language and I have suffered from it for 52 years

Wheel Nut:

cockneygazzer:

There is a long post about the use of the word, did you know it stems from the Greek language and I have suffered from it for 52 years

Wheel Nut:

Happy Keith:

jessicas dad:

Happy Keith:

scottishcruiser:
‘… ming ■■■■ thick …’

Perhaps consider an edit?

(■■■■ = a diminutive of Mongoloid = Downs Syndrome: Potentially offensive?)

in your world keith, in my world it means he is a thick zb

In the real & knowledgeable world such language is considered offensive - so suit yourself but don’t shoot the messenger, fella.

I don’t make it up since being advised of the facts surrounding the word ‘■■■■’ a few years ago. That aside, I love seeing folk expose their ignorance/arrogance so crack-on - or ask Jessica if she’d like to hear it if she presented you with a Downs grandchild…

As the condition you are describing HK is a cognitive disorder, do you not think that you are pointing your artillery in the wrong direction.

Should you not be spitting venom towards Dr Down who first described the East Asian Mongol as a medical condition?

Myself and my Grandma worked very hard for the Spastics Society and the family were proud of our efforts, she used me as a role model for other Spastics. Me doing tricks on my fixed wheel adult trike, her with her collection boxes, coffee mornings and jumble sales. However the do-gooders got involved and condemned the word ■■■■■■■ as politically incorrect. ■■■■■■■ comes from a Greek word for drawing in, or spasm, “involuntary muscle contractions”. Rather than Cerebral Palsy the condition of the central nervous system would be better described as Spasticity or muscular hypertonicity. What does SCOPE describe

So I would suggest mongoloid describes a person born in East Asia. Downs is a medical condition unrelated to this thread.

In parts of the world, ■■■■ is short for mongrel, a stupid dog.

monged is slang for inebriated,

and gammy is an Irish word for crooked, which describes my limbs perfectly as malfunctioning, injured, or simply lame.

no i did not know it was greek and i am very sorry to hear about your condition . i have a loved one also with a disability and if anyone called them a spaz in front of me in greek or any language i would smash there face in

Hi.
Blue badge holders and mother and child spaces. Supermarkets do these things because they have massive car parks and want people to go there. That’s why they don’t enforce it. As long as there is someone using the space, and the space is the reason why they are using the supermarket, the supermarket doesn’t care. Same reason they provide those electric shopping cart things. Never discriminate against people who are spending their money.

Me, I’ve got nothing against the disabled. I just think it has become a bit of a band-wagon. The same goes for any system. It can’t help those who need it whilst being water-tight, but if it wasn’t abused so much, the genuine cases would get the help they need. I’m just sick of people who need to look for a reason to feel sorry for themselves and then expect every-one else to see it too. We’ve all got friends and relatives who have dealt with disability in the most remarkable ways, and I don’t know if I could be that brave. Hope I never have to find out. But we all know someone or have met someone who is on the fiddle and if that was addressed, there would be plenty of parking close to the front doors for every-one. :smiley:

danny-jones:
Hi.
Blue badge holders and mother and child spaces. Supermarkets do these things because they have massive car parks and want people to go there. That’s why they don’t enforce it. As long as there is someone using the space, and the space is the reason why they are using the supermarket, the supermarket doesn’t care. Same reason they provide those electric shopping cart things. Never discriminate against people who are spending their money.

Me, I’ve got nothing against the disabled. I just think it has become a bit of a band-wagon. The same goes for any system. It can’t help those who need it whilst being water-tight, but if it wasn’t abused so much, the genuine cases would get the help they need. I’m just sick of people who need to look for a reason to feel sorry for themselves and then expect every-one else to see it too. We’ve all got friends and relatives who have dealt with disability in the most remarkable ways, and I don’t know if I could be that brave. Hope I never have to find out. But we all know someone or have met someone who is on the fiddle and if that was addressed, there would be plenty of parking close to the front doors for every-one. :smiley:

i totally agree with this i know a few and have shopped them as do not agree with it one bit.

and im seriously shocked at the blatent disregard to the use of the word spaz and take massive offence o it as i have a daughter who faals under this category by way of suffering a type of dwarfism causing slow growth and development you should choose your wording better people dont ask to have a condition or disability they cant help it most of the time mine is due to an arrogant car driver driving a metro with six people in over the spee limit and i stopped for a red light and she didnt i didnt ask for this and now can not enjoy life to the full with my kids

right i think thats my rant over :laughing: