Blue/Auxiliary air lines

Was talking bowlocks with some colleagues, as you do while waiting for a run, and the conversation worked round to the 3rd/blue/auxiliary air line from days gone by. We couldn’t agree on what it did/served. :confused: :confused:

Can any one enlighten us? :question: :question: :bulb:

If I recall it ave enough air for brakes if red line inoperative
I’m sure someone will be along shortly to put me right
I know yellow line was signal pressure to brakes, help me out someone I’m diggin a hole here !
Jim

The blue line was the secondary system, often referred to as a deadman. On a two line braking system it’s piped into the service line, you used to be able to get a valve to plug the blue susie into so you could pull two line trailers with a three line unit and this is basically what happens now on a two line system, the function is still there, you just can’t see it anymore :wink:

It was to feed red diesel to the engine from the secret tank which was hidden in the trailer bulkhead. :stuck_out_tongue:

As Newmermacman rightly points out.

Mind you should the unthinkable happen, and the yellow line breaks anywhere its piped, then the current secondary system is about as much use a chocolate teapot.

Bugger all wrong with the full three line system, it wasn’t broke but the sods weren’t happy till they fixed it.

Harry Monk:
It was to feed red diesel to the engine from the secret tank which was hidden in the trailer bulkhead. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah thats what an old employer of minehad till it was found but he did get away with it for a few years, cost him quite a few thousand to pay the duty back

newmercman:
The blue line was the secondary system, often referred to as a deadman. On a two line braking system it’s piped into the service line, you used to be able to get a valve to plug the blue susie into so you could pull two line trailers with a three line unit and this is basically what happens now on a two line system, the function is still there, you just can’t see it anymore :wink:

I still maintain a three line trailer for a customer, so I have to keep an adapter made up for it. The manufacturers keep altering things so assuming things work in a certain way isn’t necessarily what you are going to find when you look more closely. For instance you won’t find a relay emergency valve on a lot of more modern trailers, the emergency feature is built into the park/shunt valve now and not all of those available necessarily work the way expected.

yup Harry got that right …lol was the first thing i thought off :laughing: :unamused: .