Blu Ray

I have been cajoled into buying another laptop for the little woman. I am sort of set on either an Acer or a Dell after much searching, she likes them because they are shiny and come in pink and blue :slight_smile:

However the decision has been stalled until I get your opinions of Blu-Ray. Is it worth paying the extra money? I understand that hire shops are now renting BR DVD to the punters, but not sure we need this just yet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and reasons to buy or avoid!

Malc.

Blu ray films are just high definition films. Dont really see the point of having it on a laptop unless you intend watching HD films on your laptop. But if you do not have a blu-ray player in the house you could connect your laptop with blu-ray to your HD tv (if you have one) and watch them that way.

Cheers, it was more of a question of whether you would spend the extra money on a laptop with a Blu Ray optical drive or wait for 2 or 3 years and buy an external Blu-Ray reader.

I wouldn’t spend the extra on a laptop, usually adds about £100 to the price. I’d rather spend that on the processor, RAM or H/disk.

As for an external player, there already available. Argos has them starting at ÂŁ150 to ÂŁ340. Check out the price of the HDMI cables though, they are around ÂŁ25 to ÂŁ30. :open_mouth:

Colingl:
I wouldn’t spend the extra on a laptop, usually adds about £100 to the price. I’d rather spend that on the processor, RAM or H/disk.

As for an external player, there already available. Argos has them starting at ÂŁ150 to ÂŁ340. Check out the price of the HDMI cables though, they are around ÂŁ25 to ÂŁ30. :open_mouth:

Brilliant, just what I wanted to hear. It was probably the salesman trying to scare me into spending more money.

The suggestion was the HD DVD would be obsolete in 2 years as Blockbuster are already changing the formats of all their rental films to Blu Ray.

A cunning ploy I wager :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Colingl:

Brilliant, just what I wanted to hear. It was probably the salesman trying to scare me into spending more money.

The suggestion was the HD DVD would be obsolete in 2 years as Blockbuster are already changing the formats of all their rental films to Blu Ray.

You will be buying a new laptop before then :laughing: , your NEW one will be obsolete/the wrong colour by then :smiley:

redboxer850:

Wheel Nut:

Colingl:

You will be buying a new laptop before then :laughing: , your NEW one will be obsolete/the wrong colour by then :smiley:

At least she doesn’t want a pretty pink one! Any colour as long as it is shiny and matches her handbag :smiley:

Just so you know, HD DVD is already dead. The salesman wasn’t trying to persuade you to buy Blu-Ray, he just isn’t aware of how things have changed since his training :stuck_out_tongue: HD-DVD hasn’t been produced since early last year when Microsofts HD DVD lost out to Sony’s Blu-Ray.

My advice is don’t buy a Blu-Ray drive yet. Wait a year or two and get a Blu-Ray ReWriter drive on your next upgrade, by the time that comes around you’ll probably own a HD camcorder, a better HD TV and therefore could easily make your own Blu-Ray DVD’s

Blu-Ray is taking the same course as normal DVD’s…stupidly expensive at first but eventually the price comes down, as the price is coming down they start putting DVD readers into PC’s and Laptops, after a couple of years they start putting DVD Re-Writable drives into PC’s and Laptops and people are banging out their own films before you know it!

Adam_Mc:
Just so you know, HD DVD is already dead. The salesman wasn’t trying to persuade you to buy Blu-Ray, he just isn’t aware of how things have changed since his training :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers Adam. I asked this question in the local pub too and was told that The Tech Guys are just failed Wetherspoon managers :smiley:

Adam_Mc:
The salesman wasn’t trying to persuade you to buy Blu-Ray, he just isn’t aware of how things have changed since his training :stuck_out_tongue:

“That famous high street PC store” trains their staff? Could have fooled me!

When I get dragged out shopping, I love sloping off into there. Just as they’re getting into their spiel, selling their crap to an unwitting customer -
cough “bull[zb]” cough
So far I’m banned from Halifax, Bradford, 2 in Leeds and Ipswich :smiley:

Adam_Mc:
HD-DVD hasn’t been produced since early last year when Toshiba’s HD DVD lost out to Sony’s Blu-Ray.

FTFY :wink: